Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep attribute value pair and store it a variable Post 302351270 by Vi-Curious on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 01:34:33 AM
Old 09-08-2009
What shell/language?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and store

When i grep a file and store it in a file it is storing as a zero byte file any way to avoid that..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep results to store in a shell variable

I have the results of a grep with -n store in a shell variable ie VAR=`grep -n -e 'PATTERN' file` How ever I am missing the line breaks in the variable , How do I store the resualts of grep with many lines in to a variables. I want the varable should be the sawmway as we do the grep grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store grep command in a Variable

I have a variable A echo $A 5060 I am exporting the value X,Y,Z and it id fetching right thing and When I run C=`${X} -l ${Y} ${Z} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; netstat -na | grep \$A`" here it is going to same directory and also running netstat -na | grep 5060 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP/AWK to extract a number and store it as a variable

Hello, I have a question regarding the awk command. Here is the line I need to grep: 1 F= -.13250138E+03 E0= -.13249556E+03 d E =-.174650E-01 mag= 35.2157 Instead of displaying the number in red I would like to store it as a variable such as X. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: modey3
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read xml tag attribute and store it in variable

Hi, How to read xml tag attributes and store into variable in shell script? Thanks, Swetha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: swetha123
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep and store in a file

Guys, I was wondering what command can be used to parse the "LaxOrdID" field into a separate file? These messages are in thousands and I need to perform a comparision. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
6 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to store the value of grep in a variable

Hi , I was trying to store the value of a grep command to store in a variable so i can use it somewhere else in my script but i am getting error, i am using bash shell in linux: var= `grep -n "$DATE" testfile.log | head -n 1 | sed -n 's/^\(*\).*/\1/p` echo "$var"I get the error: unexpected... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store result of grep into a variable?

In a directory i have a file *output* whose contents are changing for every simulation. zgrep "trace file is" *output* | zgrep g o/p: trace file is Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz I want to extract "Int_01.1352176388z4f56ec33.0.trace.gz" from the above result into a variable. i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't store value in the variable

!#bin/bash clear var= grep @gmail.com email.txt | wc -l echo $var echo $var exit 0 OUTPUT: 1000 _ _ Where _ represent space (no value or nothing) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rehan
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)