Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I/O performance in HPUX file systems Post 302350823 by TonyFullerMalv on Saturday 5th of September 2009 03:32:50 PM
Old 09-05-2009
That depends on how the data is read, is it sequential or random access, is one process reading the data or many?

The performance is more likely to be affected by the volumes physical make up than the filesystem, i.e. is it striped across several disks, is it mirrored or just a RAID 5? The filesystem would have a more significant impact on performance with many small files but with only 1 or 4 files it will have little effect.

What will improve by splitting the 4TB files into 4 1TB files is the chances of successfully backing up and restoring the data, especially if a restore of only 1 of the 4 files is required!

The best answer is to measure your current performance and compare that with trying 4 separate files, not the answer you wanted I'm sure...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking file systems

I am trying to resurrect an old UNIX server without any joy, I do not have much UNIX experience any I don't understand the messages I am receiving. The system is telling me that it cannot go multi - user until the following file systems are checked //dev/rroot It gives me the procedure 1)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ianie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File systems...

Hello guys, I am new in Unix world. I would like know, how Can I check which type of file system (GPFS, JFS) is on the AIX server. I have AIX 5.1. Could you anyone advice me? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sokratis
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

4. SCO

file systems table

hi Where is file systems table stored, I mean which config file from SCO 5.0.6? On linux is in /etc/fstab. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies

5. AIX

volume group lun sizes and no of file systems for optimal performance

Hello, It's been a while since I've done AIX..., but I'm planning a new TSM on AIX disk-only backup solution. I'm planning to make an AIX volume group out of 40 luns of 1 TB. I'm planning to create one big file system on here. The purpose for this is to use this as a device class FILE for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smashingpumpkin
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get timestamp of a file in HPUX

Hi All, Am trying to get a command which gives the "date + time" that a file was edited. I cant use "ls -l" because it fails to get me the "time stamp" of files that were edited more than 6 months ago...commands like "stat" "ctime" etc aren't available on my server and I can't install them... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: n_rajitr
12 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

pwage-hpux-T for Trusted HPUX servers

I'm sharing this in case anybody needs it. Modified from the original solaris pwage script. This modified hpux script will check /etc/password file on hpux trusted systems search /tcb and grep the required u_succhg field. Calculate days to expiry and notify users via email. original solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)                                                 System Manager's Manual                                                xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)