Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell scripting and ls -1 problem Post 302350414 by methyl on Thursday 3rd of September 2009 06:18:18 PM
Old 09-03-2009
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
for i in 'ls-1 test'
do
sed 's/bob/manny/'g $i > $i.0
mv $i.0 $i
done
There are a variety of little bugs in this script.

1) The single quotes around 'ls-1 test' cause that whole string to be in variable $i which is what upset sed. To execute a command they need to be in backticks. Subtle but very important.
2) The second single quote in the sed line is misplaced. I think "sed" needs a "-e" switch but I don't know your O/S.
3) Though it hasn't caused an issue here you will be well advised to not call a script "test" because it is the name of a unix command.
4) There are better, more robust and POSIX-compliant methods to achieve this result.
5) "ls-1" should be "ls -1". The space character after "ls" is mandatory.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
for i in `ls -1 test`
do
      sed -e 's/bob/manny/g' $i > $i.0
      mv $i.0 $i
done

Last edited by methyl; 09-03-2009 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: grammar and correct ls -1 again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problem in for loop of shell scripting in solaris

Hi below is my script for((i=0;i<=$TOTAL;i++)) do echo "IP's created are $s1.$s2.$s3.$s4" s4=`expr $s4 + 1` done where s1,2,3,4 are input varibles below error occurs while running the script syntax error at lin 11: '(' unexpected ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: krevathi1912
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting problem

her i am trying to edit a database file which is actually a small file holding my friend's name and birthdays My Database DEEPAK 27/08 DEEPIKA 18/02 DHYAN 23/03 DIPANKAR 24/10 SNIGDHO 19/05 AYANNAR 17/12 BHAI 22/09 DEBAN 16/08 JAGADISH 02/06 SUBHOJIT 23/02 TOJO 17/09 SUDHIR 12/09... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem - gnome terminal shell scripting

I've a python script named rwe.py. I'm running the program in three separate terminals. If one of the executing program stops . I want to leave the terminal as it is so that i can see the error. i wrote a the below script and used cron to run it every one hour to check if the three programs are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: msteve2002
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting problem

Hi guys, I am a newbie to shell scripting.Please help me to accomplish this task. Its very urgent,I should create a script which will do the following: i) "cd ~joseph/ ; mkdir -p Bing/Bong ;mkdir -p Bing/Bang" and then create 15 ".txt" files with content "Bing Bang Bong" in "Bong"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahesh_raghu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in loops in shell scripting

Hi, #!/bin/ksh $v="" for ((i = 1 ; i <= 5 ; i++ )) do v="THerrFile_$i.err"; grep -i "$i:Error" $v >>oraerror_output.txt done My requirement is to dynamically create variable like THerrFile_1.err,THerrFile_2.err etc. where my grep needs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_83k
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Scripting Problem...

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Hello all,,, I am trying to finish my assignment for my CNET class. I am running into 2 problems... First the "Delete a file" (Option 1) When I run this option everything... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozman911
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting newbie problem

I am trying to create a shell script similar to ls, but which only lists directories. I have the first half working (no argument version), but trying to make it accept an argument, I am failing. My logic is sound I think, but I'm missing something on the syntax, I'm guessing in the bolded line? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tibor63
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting awk Problem

I'm limited in my skills related to *nix and I'm even more limited in my skills related to shell scripting and the use of awk. I have what should be a relatively simple shell script that looks in the /etc/fstab to see if a particular partition exists on the Linux system. The intention of this part... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DisabledVet
2 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Need support for a shell scripting problem

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting problem

Hello. I hava homework for university but i cant do it and i need a little help if someone can help me :) I have to do a linux shell script. Write a script that does the following: 1. Check if there is a directory in / home with myDir name. If not, it creates it. 2. In the directory it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex4o0o
1 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)