Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed replace characters not equal to an expression Post 302350209 by poldo on Thursday 3rd of September 2009 05:33:08 AM
Old 09-03-2009
Wow that's just awesome! I've been trying different things and never came up with one working. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace control characters using sed?

How can I use sed to replace a ctrl character such as 'new line' (\0a) to something else? Or any other good command can do this job? Thanks, Hillxy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hillxy
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace words in sed using regular expression

hi, I need to replace all these lines from my text file 123end 234end 324end 234end 989end 258end 924end At the moment I know how to replace "end". But I want to replace the numbers before end as well. How can I do this ? sed s/end/newWord/ myfile.txt newFile.txt thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace special characters

Hi everyone I have file1 contains: '7832' ' 8765 6543 I want a sed command that will format as: '7832' , '8765' , '6543' I tried sed -e s/\'//g -e 's/^*//;s/*$//' file1 > file2 sed -e :a -e '$!N; s/\n/ /; ta' file2 which gives: 7832 8765 6543 I need some help to continue with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace the matching pattern with equal number of spaces

Hi I have written a shell script which used sed code below sed -i 's/'"$Pattern"'/ /g' $FileName I want to count the length of Pattern and replace it with equal number of spaces in the FileName. I have used $(#pattern) to get the length but could not understand how to replace... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: -e expression #1, char 2: extra characters after command

Greetings.. getting the error while execution of the script, correct where i am missing #!/bin/bash DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d:::%H:%M` HOSTNAME=`hostname` TXT="/log/temp.txt" LOGPATH="/log1/commanlogs/" IP=`/sbin/ifconfig | grep -i inet| head -n1| awk '{print $2}'| awk -F : '{print $2}'`... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manju98458
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does this sed expression to remove non-alpha characters work?

Hello! I know that this expression gets rid of non-alphanumeric characters: sed 's///g' and I understand that it is replacing them with nothing - hence the '//'-, but I don't understand how it's doing it. It seems it's finding strings that begin with alphanumeric and replacing them with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgnersoon2be#1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to replace right part of equal sign (=) on a line

Hello. Using a bash script , I have a variable name for the file I want to modify FILE_TO_EDIT="/etc/my_config_file"And I have a variable name for the parameter to change PARAMETER="fallback_node" PARAMETER_NEW_VALUE="http://my_server_name.com/new_path" A config file may contain : 1°)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters infile with sed

I have several files in a directory that look like this: jacket-n r potential-n - outcome-n f reputation-n b I want to replace the characters in the second column with certain numbers. For instance, I want the letters 'f', 'r' and 'b' in the second column to replaced with 0 and I want the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owwow14
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace all but the first 3 characters with sed?

This seems like it should be an easy problem, but for some reason I am struggling with the solution. I simply want to replace all characters after the first 3 characters with another character, preferably with sed. Thanks in advance. Like this, but producing the proper number of *'s: sed... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: leolson
30 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace characters using a wildcard

Hello, I have some data that looks like the following, > <SALTDATA> (OVS0199262) HCl > <IDNUMBER> (OVS0199262) OVS0199262 > <SUPPLIER> (OVS0199262) TimTec > <EMAIL> (OVS0199262) info@timtec.net > <WEBSITE> (OVS0199262) http://www.timtec.net I need to remove the data in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies
Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar(3) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar(3)

NAME
Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar - return Dwarn @return_value SYNOPSIS
use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; return Dwarn some_call(...) is equivalent to: use Data::Dumper::Concise; if (wantarray) { my @return = some_call(...); warn Dumper(@return); return @return; } else { my $return = some_call(...); warn Dumper($return); return $return; } but shorter. If you need to force scalar context on the value, use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; return DwarnS some_call(...) is equivalent to: use Data::Dumper::Concise; my $return = some_call(...); warn Dumper($return); return $return; If you need to force list context on the value, use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; return DwarnL some_call(...) is equivalent to: use Data::Dumper::Concise; my @return = some_call(...); warn Dumper(@return); return @return; If you want to label your output, try DwarnN use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; return DwarnN $foo is equivalent to: use Data::Dumper::Concise; my @return = some_call(...); warn '$foo => ' . Dumper(@return); return @return; If you want to output a reference returned by a method easily, try $Dwarn $foo->bar->{baz}->$Dwarn is equivalent to: my $return = $foo->bar->{baz}; warn Dumper($return); return $return; If you want to format the output of your data structures, try DwarnF my ($a, $c) = DwarnF { "awesome: $_[0] not awesome: $_[1]" } $awesome, $cheesy; is equivalent to: my @return = ($awesome, $cheesy); warn DumperF { "awesome: $_[0] not awesome: $_[1]" } $awesome, $cheesy; return @return; If you want to immediately die after outputting the data structure, every Dwarn subroutine has a paired Ddie version, so just replace the warn with die. For example: DdieL 'foo', { bar => 'baz' }; DESCRIPTION
use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; will import Dwarn, $Dwarn, DwarnL, DwarnN, and DwarnS into your namespace. Using Exporter, so see its docs for ways to make it do something else. Dwarn sub Dwarn { return DwarnL(@_) if wantarray; DwarnS($_[0]) } $Dwarn $Dwarn = &Dwarn $DwarnN $DwarnN = &DwarnN DwarnL sub Dwarn { warn Data::Dumper::Concise::Dumper @_; @_ } DwarnS sub DwarnS ($) { warn Data::Dumper::Concise::Dumper $_[0]; $_[0] } DwarnN sub DwarnN { warn '$argname => ' . Data::Dumper::Concise::Dumper $_[0]; $_[0] } Note: this requires Devel::ArgNames to be installed. DwarnF sub DwarnF (&@) { my $c = shift; warn &Data::Dumper::Concise::DumperF($c, @_); @_ } TIPS AND TRICKS
global usage Instead of always just doing: use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar; Dwarn ... We tend to do: perl -MData::Dumper::Concise::Sugar foo.pl (and then in the perl code:) ::Dwarn ... That way, if you leave them in and run without the "use Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar" the program will fail to compile and you are less likely to check it in by accident. Furthmore it allows that much less friction to add debug messages. method chaining One trick which is useful when doing method chaining is the following: my $foo = Bar->new; $foo->bar->baz->Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar::DwarnS->biff; which is the same as: my $foo = Bar->new; (DwarnS $foo->bar->baz)->biff; SEE ALSO
You probably want Devel::Dwarn, it's the shorter name for this module. perl v5.16.2 2011-01-20 Data::Dumper::Concise::Sugar(3)