Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command to parse a word character by character Post 302350130 by cola on Wednesday 2nd of September 2009 11:24:09 PM
Old 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfajohnson

It can be done much faster without an external command:

Code:
var=12,34
while :
do
  case $var in
    *,*) var=${var%%,*}.${var#*,} ;;
    *) break ;;
  esac
done
echo "$var"

Question.
Code:
*,*) var=${var%%,*}.${var#*,} ;;

Why %% and #* ?
Please explain this line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep for X character on a word

How can I grep for a certain letter that only shows on the 3rd letter or character. ex: ASGHDY SHTYRD SDTYRD IGIKGD I only want the TY part of the 3rd character so output would only be SHTYRD and DDTYRD - I only want the TY on the 3rd character. THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoves
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to search for a particular character in a word

Hi I would like to accept in a string from user like username/pwd@dbname suppose the user does not input @ then i should throw an error that @ symbol missing . How to achieve this Thanks in advance Suresh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse a file for a special character

hello, How to parse a file to see if a specific line is commented by '#' character? filename: file1 cat file1 ... # /usr/bin/whatever ... thank you (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete all character before certain word

Hi, For example, i have a string "123 456 789 abc 111 222 333" and I would like to delete all the characters before abc so that it becomes "abc 111 222 333" how can i do that in unix? using sed? note: I actually don't know how many words/charachters before "abc", so the "cut"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phandy
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete character from a word

Friends, I'm looking for a command that delete the first tho caractere in a word. Here is an exp : I want to replace "20091001" by "091001" or "replace" by "place" Thx, (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse special character in the line

Hi all, I have a file with some module names as below. Font::AFM Data::Grove ---> libxml-perl Net::LDAP ---> perl-ldap DBI XML .... ... .... and so on ... The file has some lines with the character " -->" . Now how can I cut only the last column of the line wherever "-->" is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to chose certain character in a word?

Hi Expert, I would like to know on how to export only the first 6 character of below 0050569868B7 ABCDEFGHTY to 005056 ABCDEF Thank you. Reggy (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we get the character before and after a word in a string?

Hi friends, I am working in a korn shell. i want to know the command which gives me the previous one character and next one character of a given keyword in a string? for exmaple: input string: /bin/dir/folder1/.proc_name^folderone Keyword: proc_name output : .^ ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Position of character in word

How can I represent the position of 1 (considering only the 1s after the colon) in the word from field5 and above; counting from right to left. Input: TT-124 06-03-14 08-02-10 FAS CAT1:10 TT-125-1 05-03-14 10-06-08 CAS CAT2:1010 FAT1:10000 TT-125-3 07-03-14 11-02-06 FAS FAT1:1101... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove word before a character

Hi, I have a file which looks like this id integer, name string, create_dt date, I want to remove all words that are present before the character , My output should be id, name, create_dt, Thanks wah (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
2 Replies
GLSAMPLEMASKI(3G)						    OpenGL 3.3							 GLSAMPLEMASKI(3G)

NAME
glSampleMaski - set the value of a sub-word of the sample mask C SPECIFICATION
void glSampleMaski(GLuint maskNumber, GLbitfield mask); PARAMETERS
maskNumber Specifies which 32-bit sub-word of the sample mask to update. mask Specifies the new value of the mask sub-word. DESCRIPTION
glSampleMaski sets one 32-bit sub-word of the multi-word sample mask, GL_SAMPLE_MASK_VALUE. maskIndex specifies which 32-bit sub-word of the sample mask to update, and mask specifies the new value to use for that sub-word. maskIndex must be less than the value of GL_MAX_SAMPLE_MASK_WORDS. Bit B of mask word M corresponds to sample 32 x M + B. NOTES
glSampleMaski is available only if the GL version is 3.2 or greater, or if the ARB_texture_multisample extension is supported. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if maskIndex is greater than or equal to the value of GL_MAX_SAMPLE_MASK_WORDS. SEE ALSO
glGenRenderbuffers(), glBindRenderbuffer(), glRenderbufferStorageMultisample(), glFramebufferRenderbuffer(), glDeleteRenderbuffers() COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Khronos Group. This material may be distributed subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication License, v 1.0, 8 June 1999. http://opencontent.org/openpub/. OpenGL 3.3 03/08/2011 GLSAMPLEMASKI(3G)