Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting chown remotely via ssh / invalid group Post 302349942 by avronius on Wednesday 2nd of September 2009 10:24:45 AM
Old 09-02-2009
Hmmm....

Your command is:
Code:
group=`ssh -t -t $1 -p 3344 "stat -c %G $cpath/FILE"`

Why are you using the -t -t option for ssh? Do you need the pseudo tty sessions?

Here's what I've tried. I created a script called sshtest.sh.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
group=`ssh $1 stat -c %G $2/FILE`
echo $group

I run it by passing two arguments - $1 and $2. $1 is the server to connect to and $2 is the path to the file.
Code:
./sshtest.sh myhost /var/tmp/testing

And the result is:
Code:
slocate

This is the group that owns the file.

See if you can accurately report on the current group for your files, then see if you can change the group ownership after that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to remotely connect to server using ssh

Hi, I am trying to run the below command in perl but when the perl script is executed it prompts a error message saying " ssh: <username>: Name or service not known ". Not able to understand this as this command runs perfectly on the server prompt. ` ssh <username>@pus4026dev df -k >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: be2sp1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using ssh change password remotely?

Is it possible to change the password using a shell script, I want to remotely connect to a computer and then change password without manual intevention. Thanks in Advance Rishi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RishiPahuja
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting windows remotely from unix using SSH

Hi Can someone giv me some knowledge on accesing windows from unix and executing DOS scripts using SSH I would like to know how to go abt it...am new to it. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmis10
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remotely append crontab over ssh

Hi I would like to append/modify crontab remotely over ssh and this is what i have tried so far. text.txt contains the following line. 0,15,30,45 * * * * /home/local/hello.sh cat text.txt |ssh $host 'tee' but i dont know how to edit the crontab here after piping it to tee command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Delay after invalid SSH logon?

I am trying to configure a 4 second delay between failed login attempts on SSH. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh execute command remotely

Hi all, Today I want to write a script to run the commands remotely. If I run the command as follows: ssh <user>@<ip> 'ls; pwd' it works fine. But when I want to use ssh to set view in clearcase, it will lose the response. as follows ssh <user>@<ip> 'cleartool setview <view_name>; pwd'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Chown... cannot get the login group of a numeric UID

How do I resolve the below error. I want to change the ownership on sf_Temp file from media to dba. # grep ^media /etc/group # ls -l drwxrwx--- 1 root vboxsf 0 Feb 1 16:10 sf_Temp drwxrwx--- 2 root vboxsf 4096 Jan 31 17:59 sf_VBoxShared dr-xr-xr-x 6 oracle root 2048 Dec 19 09:20... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lutus
4 Replies

8. Solaris

SSH Remotely

Hello. I am trying to ssh and run a script from a remote computer. These computers will be both Windows and MACs. I am using Solaris 8 and what I have tried is: using putty ssh user@ip_address (remote command) /folder/folder/filename.sh The issue here is that the user profile has not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkmtm
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to remotely start ssh on Solaris?

Hi everyone, I have a Solaris machine: SunOS 5.10 Generic_127127-11 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220 After reboot, I can't ssh to this machine. Error message: ssh: connect to host xxxx port 22: Connection refused It seems ssh daemon is not running, but I don't have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaiwen Gong
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] running a function remotely using ssh

Hi all. I need a bash script to run a function remotely. I think it should be similar to the following but can't figure out the exact syntax. Here is the script: #!/bin/bash function nu () { for var in {0..5}; do printf "$var, "; done; echo } ssh host "$(typeset -f); nu" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziguy
9 Replies
CHOWN(1)								FSF								  CHOWN(1)

NAME
chown - change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [OPTION]... OWNER[:[GROUP]] FILE... chown [OPTION]... :GROUP FILE... chown [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of chown. chown changes the user and/or group ownership of each given file, according to its first non-option argument, which is interpreted as follows. If only a user name (or numeric user ID) is given, that user is made the owner of each given file, and the files' group is not changed. If the user name is followed by a colon or dot and a group name (or numeric group ID), with no spaces between them, the group ownership of the files is changed as well. If a colon or dot but no group name follows the user name, that user is made the owner of the files and the group of the files is changed to that user's login group. If the colon or dot and group are given, but the user name is omitted, only the group of the files is changed; in this case, chown performs the same function as chgrp. OPTIONS
Change the owner and/or group of each FILE to OWNER and/or GROUP. -c, --changes like verbose but report only when a change is made --dereference affect the referent of each symbolic link, rather than the symbolic link itself -h, --no-dereference affect symbolic links instead of any referenced file (available only on systems that can change the ownership of a symlink) --from=CURRENT_OWNER:CURRENT_GROUP change the owner and/or group of each file only if its current owner and/or group match those specified here. Either may be omit- ted, in which case a match is not required for the omitted attribute. -f, --silent, --quiet suppress most error messages --reference=RFILE use RFILE's owner and group rather than the specified OWNER:GROUP values -R, --recursive operate on files and directories recursively -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every file processed --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Owner is unchanged if missing. Group is unchanged if missing, but changed to login group if implied by a `:'. OWNER and GROUP may be numeric as well as symbolic. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for chown is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and chown programs are properly installed at your site, the command info chown should give you access to the complete manual. chown (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 CHOWN(1)