Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Parameter to avoid file being deleted by SAM Post 302349343 by instant000 on Monday 31st of August 2009 05:58:18 PM
Old 08-31-2009
Java Parameter to avoid file being deleted by SAM

Good afternoon.

I am a newbie.

We just had a potentially big problem (negated to having good backups).

Basically, there is an option in SAM, to delete all the data from the system that a user ever created.

Lo and behold, silly me, I choose that option, and all sorts of needed files get deleted.

Luckily, we have a good backup.

Unfortunately, I would like to avoid this situation in the future.

Is there a way to choose which directories are *blocked* from being cleared by SAM?

I noticed , from checking thesam_remove.log that the "/var" directory was blocked, for example, but I want the same exclusion for other directories. Is that possible?

Thanks!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAM file

I am having a problem on an HP box, where I am being told that there are too many open files. I am also being told I need to change a SAM file. Could some help me understand what a SAM files is and what it is used for. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristian
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Avoid Duplicates in a file

Hi Gurus, I had a question regarding avoiding duplicates.i have a file abc.txt abc.txt ------- READER_1_1_1> HIER_28056 XML Reader: Error occurred while parsing:; line number ; column number READER_1_3_1> Sun Mar 23 23:52:48 2008 READER_1_3_1> HIER_28056 XML Reader: Error occurred while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid a temp file

Hi all. I want to check the free space on a given FS and process the output. Right now, I'm using a temp file to avoid using df twice. This is what I'm doing #!/usr/bin/ksh ... df -k $FS_NAME > $TMP_FILE 2>&1 if ]; then RESULT="CRITICAL - $(cat $TMP_FILE)" else cat $TMP_FILE | ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox1212
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know who has deleted the file.

Hi, We have a file which needs supper user previleges to delete. There are 10 users having super user preveleges. Some times back that file got deleted. How to know who has deleted that file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
6 Replies

5. Programming

[c]Why first file is creating after the second. How to avoid

Hi, My Code is as below: nbECRITS = fwrite(strstr(data->buffer, ";") + 1, sizeof(char), (data->buffsize) - LEN_NOM_FIC, fic_sortie); fclose(fic_sortie); sprintf(PATH_BALISE, "%s.balise", PATH); fic_balise_data = fopen(PATH_BALISE, "a+"); if (fic_balise_data == NULL) {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezee
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the parameter value from the parameter file in perl?

hi all, i have a parameter file of following format, i want a method which can get the value of specific parameter. parameter file format: <Parameter Name="FileLocationWindows"> <Description> The directory location of the logger file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laxmikant.hcl
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoid overwriting backup file when multiple entries need to replace in one file input from another

Hello, I have been working on script in which search and replace the multiple pattern. 1. update_params.sh read the multiple pattern from input file ParamMapping.txt(old_entry|New_entry) and passing this values one by one to change_text.sh 2. change_text.sh read... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write only changes to file - avoid duplicates

I want to create a file, to save a list of fail2ban blocked ip addresses. So I thought I'd create a loop that will check with fail2ban every minute, and write the ip addresses to a file. while true; do echo $(fail2ban-client status asterisk-iptables | grep 'IP list' | sed 's/.*://g' | sed -e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aristosv
4 Replies
deluser.conf(5) 						File Formats Manual						   deluser.conf(5)

NAME
/etc/deluser.conf - configuration file for deluser(8) and delgroup(8). DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/deluser.conf contains defaults for the programs deluser(8) and delgroup(8). Each option takes the form option = value. Dou- ble or single quotes are allowed around the value. Comment lines must have a hash sign (#) at the beginning of the line. deluser(8) and delgroup(8) also read /etc/adduser.conf, see adduser.conf(8); settings in deluser.conf may overwrite settings made in adduser.conf. The valid configuration options are: REMOVE_HOME Removes the home directory and mail spool of the user to be removed. Value may be 0 (don't delete) or 1 (do delete). REMOVE_ALL_FILES Removes all files on the system owned by the user to be removed. If this option is activated REMOVE_HOME has no effect. Values may be 0 or 1. BACKUP If REMOVE_HOME or REMOVE_ALL_FILES is activated all files are backuped before they are removed. The backup file that is created defaults to username.tar(.gz|.bz2) in the directory specified by the BACKUP_TO option. The compression method is chosen to the best that is available. Values may be 0 or 1. BACKUP_TO If BACKUP is activated, BACKUP_TO specifies the directory the backup is written to. Default is the current directory. NO_DEL_PATHS A list of regular expressions, space separated. All files to be deleted in course of deleting home directories or deleting files owned by the user to be deleted are checked against each of these regular expressions. If a match is detected, the file is not deleted. Defaults to a list of system directories, leaving only /home. In other words: By default only files below /home belonging to that specific user are going to be deleted. ONLY_IF_EMPTY Only delete a group if there are no user who belong to this group. Defaults to 0. EXCLUDE_FSTYPES A regular expression which describes all file systems which should be excluded when looking for files of a user to be deleted. Defaults to "(proc|sysfs|usbfs|devpts|tmpfs|afs)". FILES
/etc/deluser.conf SEE ALSO
deluser(8), delgroup(8), adduser.conf(5) Debian GNU/Linux Version 3.113+nmu3 deluser.conf(5)