Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to distinguish between "command not found" and "command with no result" Post 302349101 by jlliagre on Monday 31st of August 2009 05:59:21 AM
Old 08-31-2009
Interesting. It looks like system return value meaning has changed between Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris (which I use):

On Solaris 10 (SunOS 5.10) system(3C) manual page:

Code:
RETURN VALUES
     The system() function executes vfork(2) to  create  a  child
     process that in turn invokes one of the exec family of func-
     tions (see exec(2)) on  the  shell  to  execute  string.  If
     vfork()  or the exec function fails, system() returns -1 and
     sets errno to indicate the error.

On OpenSolaris (SunOS 5.11):

Code:
RETURN VALUES
     The system() function executes posix_spawn(3C) to  create  a
     child  process  running  the shell that in turn executes the
     commands in string. If posix_spawn() fails, system() returns
     -1  and sets errno to indicate the error; otherwise the exit
     status of the shell is returned.

I'm afraid you'll have to use a different approach to distinguish these cases.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the meaning of "!:*" in "alias foo 'command\!:*' filename"

Hi: How can I remove my own post? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil518
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem on SQLplus command ""bash: sqlplus: command not found""

Hi all, i face an error related to my server ""it's running server"" when i use sqlplus command $ sqlplus bash: sqlplus: command not found the data base is up and running i just need to access the sqlplus to import the dump file as a daily backup. i already check the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clerck
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
vfork(2)							   System Calls 							  vfork(2)

NAME
vfork - spawn new process in a virtual memory efficient way SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t vfork(void); DESCRIPTION
The vfork() function creates a new process without fully copying the address space of the old process. This function is useful in instances where the purpose of a fork(2) operation is to create a new system context for an execve() operation (see exec(2)). Unlike with the fork() function, the child process borrows the parent's memory and thread of control until a call to execve() or an exit (either abnormally or by a call to _exit() (see exit(2)). Any modification made during this time to any part of memory in the child process is reflected in the parent process on return from vfork(). The parent process is suspended while the child is using its resources. In a multithreaded application, vfork() borrows only the thread of control that called vfork() in the parent; that is, the child contains only one thread. The use of vfork() in multithreaded applications, however, is unsafe due to race conditons that can cause the child process to become deadlocked and consequently block both the child and parent process from execution indefinitely. The vfork() function can normally be used the same way as fork(). The procedure that called vfork(), however, should not return while run- ning in the child's context, since the eventual return from vfork() in the parent would be to a stack frame that no longer exists. The _exit() function should be used in favor of exit(3C) if unable to perform an execve() operation, since exit() will invoke all functions registered by atexit(3C) and will flush and close standard I/O channels, thereby corrupting the parent process's standard I/O data struc- tures. Care must be taken in the child process not to modify any global or local data that affects the behavior of the parent process on return from vfork(), unless such an effect is intentional. The vfork() function is deprecated. Its sole legitimate use as a prelude to an immediate call to a function from the exec family can be achieved safely by posix_spawn(3C) or posix_spawnp(3C). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, vfork() returns 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The vfork() function will fail if: EAGAIN The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution (either system-quality or by a single user) would be exceeded. This limit is determined when the system is generated. ENOMEM There is insufficient swap space for the new process. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), ioctl(2), atexit(3C), exit(3C), posix_spawn(3C), posix_spawnp(3C), signal.h(3HEAD), wait(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
To avoid a possible deadlock situation, processes that are children in the middle of a vfork() are never sent SIGTTOU or SIGTTIN signals; rather, output or ioctls are allowed and input attempts result in an EOF indication. To forstall parent memory corruption due to race conditions with signal handling, vfork() treats signal handlers in the child process in the same manner as the exec(2) functions: signals set to be caught by the parent process are set to the default action (SIG_DFL) in the child process (see signal.h(3HEAD)). Any attempt to set a signal handler in the child before execve() to anything other than SIG_DFL or SIG_IGN is disallowed and results in setting the handler to SIG_DFL. On some systems, the implementation of vfork() causes the parent to inherit register values from the child. This can create problems for certain optimizing compilers if <unistd.h> is not included in the source calling vfork(). SunOS 5.10 8 Nov 2004 vfork(2)