Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL - another quick hash of hashes question Post 302348983 by hcclnoodles on Sunday 30th of August 2009 04:33:29 PM
Old 08-30-2009
PERL - another quick hash of hashes question

Hi, sorry, two hash related questions in one day .. but this has got me a bit stuck.

I have a mysql database table that kind of looks like this, the table is called "view1" and a snippet of that table (SELECT'ing just rows with serial number 0629AN1200) is below

Code:
   serial     nic_name      nic_ip   nic_duplex      nic_speed

0629AN1200 	bge0 	    1.1.1.1 	full     	10 
0629AN1200 	bge1 	    8.8.8.8 	full     	100 
0629AN1200 	bge2 	    7.7.7.7 	half    	100 	
0629AN1200 	bge3        3.2.1.1 	full 	        1000

i am creating a hash of hashes from this data ,using the code below

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use DBI;

my $serial = "0629AN1200";   # an example serial number

my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:CMDB","username","password",) or die $DBI::errstr;
my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT nic_name,nic_ip,nic_duplex,nic_speed FROM view1 WHERE serial = '$serial'") or die $DBI::errstr;
$sth->execute or die $DBI::errstr;
$hashr = $sth->fetchall_hashref('nic_name');

# I am using this bit of code to display the contents and structure of the hash of hashes

while ( my ( $key, $value ) = each %$hashr ) {
     print $key, " ->\n";
    while ( my ( $key, $value ) = each %$value ) {
        print "\t", $key, " -> ", $value, "\n";
    }
   }

when i run this script I get this output...note that even though I have asked fetchall_hashref to create keys based on 'nic_name', the output below still ALSO has 'nic_name' as a key value pair of the sub hash ..... ?

Code:
$ ./tester2.pl
bge3 ->
        nic_ip -> 3.2.1.1
        nic_speed -> 1000
        nic_name -> bge3
        nic_duplex -> full
bge1 ->
        nic_ip -> 8.8.8.8
        nic_speed -> 100
        nic_name -> bge1
        nic_duplex -> full
bge0 ->
        nic_ip -> 1.1.1.1
        nic_speed -> 10
        nic_name -> bge0
        nic_duplex -> full
bge2 ->
        nic_ip -> 7.7.7.7
        nic_speed -> 100
        nic_name -> bge2
        nic_duplex -> half

Is there something im doing wrong here ? I was under the impression that the line ...

Code:
$hashr = $sth->fetchall_hashref('nic_name');

would set the top level keys of the hash of hashes. .(which it seems to have successfuilly done) ... but would then have the intelligence to omit that particular key/value pair from the sub hash?

am i missing something here??

Any help would be great

Last edited by hcclnoodles; 08-30-2009 at 05:46 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl hashes question

hi guys im running into a problem here this is my script #!/usr/bin/perl use CGI qw(:standard); $header = "MIME-Version: 1.0\n"; $header .= "Content-type: text/html\n"; $header .= "\n"; #get the point parameter from nhl.html $Team = param("points"); print "$header"; open(INFILE,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucho_1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hashes "Can't use subscript on private hash"

This is driving me mad, where am I going wrong? The relevant segment of code: sub getndsybcons { my @servers=@{$_}; my @sybservers=@{$_}; my %results; foreach my $server(@servers) { my $biggestsyb; my $biggestsybval=0; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Entire hash list (hash of hashes)

I have a script with dynamic hash of hashes , and I want to print the entire hash (with all other hashes). Itried to do it recursively by checking if the current key is a hash and if yes call the current function again with refference to the sub hash. Most of the printing seems to be OK but in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl hash of hashes from database

hi there, I have some database output that looks like this SELECT nic_name,nic_duplex,nic_speed,nic_ip FROM network_table WHERE hostname = "server1" result is this (ive delimited with a pipe for ease of reading) bge0|full|1000|10.32.100.1 bge1|full|1000|11.12.101.7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - printing a hash of hashes to screen

Hi there I have a hash of hashes made up of the following data bge0|100|half|10.36.100.21 bge1|1000|full|10.36.100.22 bge2|1000|full|10.36.100.23 which when i turn into a hash, would look like this inside the system bge0 -> nic_speed -> 100 nic_duplex -> half ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Any quick way to use regex on hash keys?

Hi, Is there any quick way to use pull out keys that match a specific regex pattern? eg %hash ; $hash(123,456) = xxx; $hash(123,457) = xxx; $hash(123,458) = xxx; $hash(223,459) = xxx; I need a fast way to get all the keys that start with 123.. Meaning I should get ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leion
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

hash of hashes : how to print reference and its internal structure?

#use perl 5.8.5; my %h1=(a=>'b', c=>'d'); my %h2=(a1=>'b1', c1=>'d1'); my $R1=\%h1; my $R2=\%h2; my %h= {$R1, $R2}; my $href=\%h; # hash of hashes foreach my $key (keys %$href){ print "Z::$$href{$key}\n" } When I am trying to print elements of hash of hashes, it prints HASH... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shristi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: dereferencing a hash of hashes

Hi there, I am trying to dereference my hash of hashes but post dereferencing, it seems to lose its structure I am using Data::dumper to help me anaylise. This is the code im using to build the HoH, (data comes from a file). I have also performed a Dumper on the data structure before and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rethink
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hash of hashes anonymous array

Hello experts. I'm having problems with a snippet of code. I was hoping to get help/advice to correct. A file that this script parses has changed to the point where I can no longer use a scalar, it looks as though I need to create an array for a hash of hashes below. The first output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timj123
1 Replies