Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK: pattern not properly stored in variable? Post 302348906 by herrsimon on Sunday 30th of August 2009 11:07:01 AM
Old 08-30-2009
Hi Scott,

I initially also typed "\\." but it doesn't seem necessary with my interpreter (mawk on Debian Lenny).

Regards,

Simon

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert external variable in a AWK pattern

Dear all, ¿How can i insert a variable in a AWK pattern? I have almost succeeded in solving a puzzle with AWK but now i want to make a script. Let me explain. cat file.txt | awk 'BEGIN {RS="\\n\\n"} /tux/ { print "\n"$0 }' I know that this command makes right what i want to do, but mi... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: antuan
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : pattern matching a string stored in a variable

I have two variables, my $filename = "abc_yyyy_mm_dd.txt"; my $filename1 = " abc_2011_11_07.txt"; I need to perform some operations after checking if $filename has $filename1 in it i have used the below code, if($filename =~ /^$filename1/) { ---- -- } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

5. Programming

take input from a variable as pattern to awk

Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me how to take contents of a variable as a pattern for awk command. Am doing as below, but doesnt get any output: $c = "Tue Dec"; $log = ` awk '/ \$c /' in.txt`; print $log; (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandrec
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable%pattern operation within awk

Hello; I have: ll | grep -v ^d | awk '{print $9}' rcx_access_report_fid.txt rcx_access_report_hsi.txt rcx_access_report_mmm.txt rcx_access_report_qsc.txt I want to get: rcx_access_report_fid.txt rcx_access_report_hsi rcx_access_report_mmm rcx_access_report_qsc But when I try: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search a filename stored in a variable using a pattern?

hi, i have a variable which contains some file names delimited by a single space. FNAME="s1.txt s2.lst s3.cvs s4.lst" i have another variable that contains a pattern FILE_PATTERN="*.lst" i want to take the filenames from FNAME variable and assign each file name in to an array say for... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Multi-line data to be stored in variable

Greetings Experts, As part of automating the sql generation, I have the source table name, target table name, join condition stored in a file join_conditions.txt which is a delimited file (I can edit the file if for any reason). The reason I needed to store is I have built SELECT list without... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to lookup stored variable in file and print matching line

The bash bash below extracts the oldest folder from a directory and stores it in filename That result will match a line in bold in input. In the matching line there is an_xxx digit in italics that (once the leading zero is removed) will match a line in link. That is the lint to print in output.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -Search pattern through Variable

Hello, We have wrote shell script for multiple file name search pattern. file format: <numner>_<20180809>.txt starting with single number and ending with 8 digits number Command: awk -v string="12_1234" -v serch="^+_+$" "BEGIN{ if (string ~/serch$/) print string }" If sting matches... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
4 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)