Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ksh(Unix Distro) script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ksh(Unix Distro) script Post 302348824 by Demon002 on Saturday 29th of August 2009 10:50:11 PM
Old 08-29-2009
Yeah now that i think about it this is prolly the way to go, The reason i didnt do it that way in the first place was.
1.) i dont know Solaris Variables(create/set)
2.) I wasnt sure if the Variable would stay static or would update with the time as well. It is after all a VARIABLE. but ill test and figure out variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting an OpenVms .com to a UNIX ksh script

Does anyone know what a unix equivalent to the following OpenVms string would be? variable1 = F$FAO("!123AS",file_create_time) I can't seem to find the proper syntax of anything I try. Thx! J (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prosserj
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending email from KSH unix script.

Hi Need guidance on including code to mail a couple of files atached with some subject and mail body !!.. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosh0623
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Live Unix Distro Help...

Hello, I was just looking for some help on Unix distros that don't affect my hard disk. Basically what I am looking for is a distro that has all your programming needs (so I can program in Unix) and the basic functions of an OS. I would also like it to include python if possible. BTW, is it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhab
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert unix .ksh script to windows .batch script

I am using awk in my .ksh script but when I am trying to run in windows its not recognising awk part of the ksh script , even when I changed it to gawk it does not work, this is how my .ksh and .bat files look like. thanx. #!/bin/ksh egrep -v "Rpt 038|PM$|Parameters:|Begin |Date: |End... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2.5lt V8
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help to choose unix distro

what unix could you advice to me for following purposes? -browsing web -reading text information -listening to music (mp3/ogg/tracker modules) -watcing movies (rare) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacevoid8
9 Replies

6. Fedora

Recommendations on Unix Distro

I'd like to become more familiar with Unix. To that end I want to install and practice/play with a (open source) Unix distro; however, I'm uncertain which one I should use. I'm considering freebsd, openbsd, and openSolaris. I'm familiar and comfortable with RHL/CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu. Keeping... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NateKin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with ksh script to list files, cp it to another UNIX server

Hi, I'm quite new to ksh scripting, can someone help me with this. Requirements: I need to create a script that list the files from a user input date range. e. g. format of file: *c1*log.2012-12-22-14-00* *c1*log.2012-12-22-14-00* *c1*log.2012-12-22-14-00*... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chococrunch6
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX ksh Copy Files Script

I need a UNIX ksh script that counts the number of files in directory, if the files exceed 20 files, then email results. I want the script to run every hour.. I don't have access to cron.. I'm some what new to UNIX. Windows guy all my career.. this is what I have so far.. #!/bin/ksh # count.sh ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PerlHaven2k
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

How to lock a file through UNIX KSH shell script?

I wrote two shell scripts in UNIX that renames the same file and scheduled them at the same time. The following are the steps that I followed:- 1. I wrote 2 scripts named s1.sh and s2.sh, both trying to add “exec_” prefix to the name of the files present in a folder i which already don't start... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: piuli
4 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)