Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: delete beginning field.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete beginning field. Post 302348485 by daveisme on Friday 28th of August 2009 10:56:00 AM
Old 08-28-2009
delete beginning field.

I want to script out deleting the first field of a file when it is created. I'm looking to store the output of an ls -l commad to a file but leaving off the permissions so when the file is opened I see something like;

2 bin bin 256 Feb 6 2005 mnt
5 root system 256 Feb 5 2005 home
9 root system 256 Feb 5 2005 someflie

so the display of -rwxrwxrwx is removed.

Thnak you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines from file2 beginning w/file1

I've been searching around here and other places, but can't put this together... I've got a unique list of words in file 1 (one word on each line). I need to delete each line in file2 that begins with the word in file1. I started this way, but want to know how to use file1 words instead... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a field along with delimiter in the whole file

I have file with 20 fields and its pipe delimiter. I need to remove the 18th field along with pipe delimiter that seperates 17th and 18th field. In turn that means i want to make it now a file with only 19 fields. Can some body let me know how ican remove the 18th field from the whole file? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect lines beginning with double-byte characters (Japanese) and delete

Greetings, I want to use a script (preferably awk) which determines if the first character in a line is double-byte (as in Japanese or Chinese) and deletes it. For example: (in the above quote, I see Japanese on my screen for two lines - with 2 characters in the first and 3 characters in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubbeauty
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to delete numbers at beginning of txt file line

Hello. I have the following issue: my txt file has the following format: train/dr4/fklc0/sx175.txt 0 80282 Severe myopia contributed to Ron's inferiority complex. train/dr4/fklc0/sx355.txt 0 42906 Dolphins are intelligent marine mammals. train/dr4/fklc0/sa2.txt awk 'NR%2==0' test1.txt >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: li_bi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FS did not show after delete one field in awk

Hello, I met a problem to delete one column out of 32, say column 13. I tried awk and gawk but neither worked. The problem is col13 can deleted but the field separator is gone too, so that the output is not in tab-delimited format. Or, col13 can't be deleted. I want the output file with TAB as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

On Match Delete Field

Hi, A text file contains lines of fields seperated by some delimiter; space for example; some lines but not all will have in the second field a value like an inital (e.g., A. or B. or Jr.) for those lines with such a value in field 2, we wish to have that value deleted. We also wish to do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rfransix
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove \n at the beginning of a field in a record.

Hi, In my file, I have few records which are split across multiple lines. File 1: ===== james,\n pre-auth completed,in patient,\n Fac_Id:23451,ramson,Dallas Expected is: ========== james,pre-auth completed,in patient,Fac_Id:23451,ramson,Dallas (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files beginning with *

Hi, I had created a whole bunch of files which are like *, *1, *2 etc... Can someone tell me if there is a way to batch remove the whole directory? I tried the solution which goes one level up and removes the file, but that doesn't seem to work for files beginning with a *. Thanks in... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
28 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete part of field with awk or sed

I've got a file that looks like this (the whitespace between commas is intentional): 123456789,12,JOHN H DOE ,DOE/JOHN H ,,,DOE/JOHN H ,,,,,123 FAKE STREET ,SPRINGFIELD,XX, I want to strip just the first name out of the third field so it reads "JOHN,". So far I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing entire fields with specific text at end or beginning of field

Greetings. I've got a csv file with data along these lines: Spumoni's Pizza Place, Placemats n Things, Just Lamps Counterfeit Dollars by Vinnie, Just Shades, Dollar StoreI want to replace the entire comma-delimited field if it matches something ending in "Place" or beginning with "Dollar",... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmfrond
2 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.12.3 2011-06-11 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)