Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to remove folder in linux Post 302348058 by radoulov on Thursday 27th of August 2009 08:25:47 AM
Old 08-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbjit
It works.

Can you please tell me what that folder means? and the code you provided its explanation
I don't know what that folder means ...
The leading dash in the filename confuses the rm program so you need double-dash to indicate the end of the options.
From man rm on my Cygwin:

Code:
       To remove a file whose name starts with a `-', for example `-foo', use  one  of  these  com-
       mands:

rm -- -foo

rm ./-foo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove zero bytes files in folder

Hi, Please shed some light on how to quickly remove all the zero bytes in which there are some mixtures of more than zero bytes in it. For eg: > ls -lrt -rw-r--r-- 1 ab noen 0 Jul 27 15:47 supplier_mp.unl -rw-rw-r-- 1 ab noen 507 Aug 5 14:13... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cedrichiu
2 Replies

2. Linux

Unable to access fedora 10 shared folder from windows

Linux OS : Fedora 10 (No graphical mode) Windows OS : XP and Windows Server NT I am able to access from my windows to linux using following step //fedora10 ip username of admin and password I am able to view the admin and shared printer of fedora 10. When i try to enter in the admin... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightmare49
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Unable to remove shared memory in Redhat Linux

unable to remove shared memory using ipcrm -m in linux $ ipcs -m ------ Shared Memory Segments -------- key shmid owner perms bytes nattch status 0x00000000 32768 root 644 80 2 0x00000000 65537 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all folders within another folder except the lastest 1, 2 or 3.

I am using this command to remove all files and folders older than 24 hours; find /databackup/dbs/* -maxdepth 0 -type d -mtime +0 -exec rm -rf {} \; However, if/when backups to this folder fail and are not updated, it will completely destroy any backups we have in that folder. What can I add... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
14 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to create folder as a user

Hi All, I am trying to create a folder in /export/home/user1 directory as a user1 but I am getting the error message as -bash-3.00$ mkdir abc mkdir: Failed to make directory "abc"; Permission denied Also I tried creating the folder but it fails too -bash-3.00$ touch abc touch: cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

6. AIX

Unable to share win folder in AIX

Hi, Iam unable to share WInXp folder in AIX, i configured samba, its working fine, i am able to access win folder from AIX by using samba but unbale to access AIX folder from Windows. bash-3.00# mount -v cifs -n Win_IP/Win_username/Win_passwd /Win_Folder /AIX-folder Result: There was an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpasha06
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to list folder contents

I'm unable to list the contents of a directory once I move into it. I have full permissions on this directory (called "Scripts" in the below example). The scenario is shown below in detail: Command 'ls' works fine to begin with: 1: pmn@linuxhost /home/pmn > cd /opt/smt/proiv 2:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove folder contents

for dir in BKP/*/ do echo You are in :$dir done O/P -- BKP/201448/ BKP/201449/ BKP/201450/ BKP/201451/ BKP/201452/ BKP/201501/ BKP/201502/ BKP/201503/ BKP/201504/ BKP/201505/ BKP/201506/ BKP/201507/ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Unable to mount shared folder from Linux server

Hi all, I have 3 servers, rx2600, rx2600, and rx2660. I have another x86 server running on Suse, and create a shared folder named /public From 1 of the rx2600 server I can mount that shared folder : intaqa:/>mount 10.1.2.82:/public /bkup intaqa:/>cd /bkup But from 2 others server I... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: rexmale
29 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unable to access the CIFS share folder on windows by IP

Hi All Actually I have NAS Storage and Suddenly I got problem Unable to access the CIFS share folder on windows host, however the IP is pinging and the share is accessible via share name. The share can be accessed via share name only on Windows higher Windows Versions. Any help guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abu_SM
4 Replies
MHPATH(1)                                                            [nmh-1.5]                                                           MHPATH(1)

NAME
mhpath - print full pathnames of nmh messages and folders SYNOPSIS
mhpath [+folder] [msgs] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
mhpath expands and sorts the message list `msgs' and writes the full pathnames of the messages to the standard output separated by new- lines. If no `msgs' are specified, mhpath outputs the current mail folder's pathname instead. If the only argument is `+', your nmh "Path" is output; this can be useful in shell scripts. Contrasted with other nmh commands, a message argument to mhpath may often be intended for writing. Because of this: 1) the name "new" has been added to mhpath's list of reserved message names (the others are "first", "last", "prev", "next", "cur", and "all"). The new message is equivalent to the message after the last message in a folder (and equivalent to 1 in a folder without mes- sages). The "new" message may not be used as part of a message range. 2) Within a message list, the following designations may refer to messages that do not exist: a single numeric message name, the single message name "cur", and (obviously) the single message name "new". All other message designations must refer to at least one existing message, if the folder contains messages. 3) An empty folder is not in itself an error. A message number less than that of the smallest existing message in a folder is treated as if the message already exists. A message number greater than that of the highest existing message in a folder causes an "out of range" error message to be displayed. As part of a range designation that contains messages that do exist, message numbers less than the smallest, or greater than the highest, existing message in a folder are ignored. Examples: The current folder foo contains messages 3 5 6. Cur is 4. % mhpath /r/phyl/Mail/foo % mhpath all /r/phyl/Mail/foo/3 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/5 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/6 % mhpath 2001 mhpath: message 2001 out of range 1-6 % mhpath 1-2001 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/3 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/5 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/6 % mhpath new /r/phyl/Mail/foo/7 % mhpath last new /r/phyl/Mail/foo/6 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/7 % mhpath last-new mhpath: bad message list last-new % mhpath cur /r/phyl/Mail/foo/4 % mhpath 1-2 mhpath: no messages in range 1-2 % mhpath first:2 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/3 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/5 % mhpath 1 2 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/1 /r/phyl/Mail/foo/2 mhpath is also useful in back-quoted operations: % cd `mhpath +inbox` % echo `mhpath +` /r/phyl/Mail FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
folder(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to none CONTEXT
None BUGS
Like all nmh commands, mhpath expands and sorts [msgs]. So don't expect mv `mhpath 501 500` to move 501 to 500. Quite the reverse. But mv `mhpath 501` `mhpath 500` will do the trick. Out of range message 0 is treated far more severely than large out of range message numbers. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 MHPATH(1)