Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Run Levels confusion
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unix Run Levels confusion Post 302348028 by methyl on Thursday 27th of August 2009 07:37:38 AM
Old 08-27-2009
It is not the same on every unix. Many don't have runstate 6 (reboot) for example.

Explanation is in "man rc" on the system.

/etc/rc is actually a script which you can read.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Too many levels of symbolic links

Hi, Is there a limit to the number of symbolic links you can have? I tried to vi the symbolic link relating to a file and got the following error: "filename" Too many levels of symbolic links There is only one symbolic link to one file in this case, but there are >2000 other links to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

2. Solaris

RAID Levels

hi, what are the RAID Levels followed for various File systems ? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol8admin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix confusion

:confused: some one please tell me where i can possibly find out what is unix 10.2 and the basic system functions of it is. I really need help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tribb24
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Init levels

I have a problem, i dont know if its a normal behaviour or not, i can go to a lower init level, but i cant go to a higher one again, for instance i can run the command init 2 while im at init 3 and when i do who -r i find myself go down to 2 but if i type init 3 and wait im still finding myself in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Confusion In run level...

Dear Friends..!! i am quit confused about the SOLARIES RUN level that is 0 . 1 or s S ... please let me know the diffirence between these run level ... 0,1 and s S... have a great day Uday naikwadi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udayn
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Levels of support

Hello, I have a simple question because I can not find the information at oracle.com I want to buy support for OS Solaris and Servers hardware. I need information what are the levels of support and how much they cost? I need a help. Have a nice day (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with CRLF (wint) and LF (unix) as end of line seperators

I know that windows uses CRLF as a end of line character while Unix uses LF. But visually i could not see any difference in files while creating on either of plat forms. CR (Carriage Return) means to bring cursor to beginning of line while LF (Line feed) means to bring cursor to next line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Run levels in Solaris 11

Hi Guys, I need to change the following script ( which is good for Linux) for Solris 11 #start oracle start on runlevel stop on runlevel What it should be for Solrais 11. Thanks for your help. Regards Terry (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrykhatri531
2 Replies

9. Debian

Linux Changing Run Levels

Hi this is my first thread. I use KDE and Gnome on Debian. I configured inittab like what it should be. But when i have an inittab file i can't see anything when i run who -r command. This is the result of who -r without /etc/inittab hwpplayer1@build3:~$ who -r açılış-seviyesi 5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hwpplayer1
4 Replies
STARTPAR(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       STARTPAR(8)

NAME
startpar - start runlevel scripts in parallel SYNOPSIS
startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] [-a arg] prg1 prg2 ... startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] -M [ boot|start|stop] DESCRIPTION
startpar is used to run multiple run-level scripts in parallel. The degree of parallelism on one CPU can be set with the -p option, the default is full parallelism. An argument to all of the scripts can be provided with the -a option. Processes block by pending I/O will weighting by the factor 800. To change this factor the option -i can be used to specify an other value. The output of each script is buffered and written when the script exits, so output lines of different scripts won't mix. You can modify this behaviour by setting a timeout. The timeout set with the -t option is used as buffer timeout. If the output buffer of a script is not empty and the last output was timeout seconds ago, startpar will flush the buffer. The -T option timeout works more globally. If no output is printed for more than global_timeout seconds, startpar will flush the buffer of the script with the oldest output. Afterwards it will only print output of this script until it is finished. The -M option switches startpar into a make(1) like behaviour. This option takes three different arguments: boot, start, and stop for reading .depend.boot or .depend.start or .depend.stop respectively in the directory /etc/init.d/. By scanning the boot and runlevel direc- tories in /etc/init.d/ it then executes the appropriate scripts in parallel. FILES
/etc/init.d/.depend.boot /etc/init.d/.depend.start /etc/init.d/.depend.stop SEE ALSO
init.d(7), insserv(8), startproc(8). COPYRIGHT
2003,2004 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. 2007 SuSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Michael Schroeder <mls@suse.de> Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> Jun 2003 STARTPAR(8)