Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Do You Use Twitter?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Do You Use Twitter? Post 302347884 by Smiling Dragon on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 07:56:45 PM
Old 08-26-2009
Don't have twitter, don't follow anyone's twits (is that what you call them? Smilie )

My previous employer got over enthusiastic in blocking twitter after all that 'steal company secrets via twitter!' rubbish hit the headlines. After they had had a go at the proxy, even a google search for "twittering birds" would be blocked!

I've managed to avoid the lure of facebook, but use linkedin (unix.com is to blame for that actually, I'd never even heard of linkedin before I got the invite to join the unix group).

The only reason I might look at twitter is if I can use it for something more interesting. I'm wondering about using it as a transport mechanism for announcing detectable events - like make a trainspotting twitter - no I have zero interest in trainspotting but making a magic box that sits beside a track somewhere & photographs passing trains and twits/tweets/twats (whatever it is) the snap would be a fun project.

Hmm, actually that might just end up with the bomb squad blowing up my 'suspicious' project then arresting me as a terrorist... Maybe something else then...

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. What is on Your Mind?

Twitter Users: Follow the Forums on Twitter

Hey Twitter Users, You can follow the forums on Twitter: https://twitter.com/unixlinux @unixlinux Current Twitter Stats: TWEETS 76.4K FOLLOWERS 54.3K Comments or questions? Please post below. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
xscreensaver-text(1)						XScreenSaver manual					      xscreensaver-text(1)

NAME
xscreensaver-text - prints some text to stdout, for use by screen savers. SYNOPSIS
xscreensaver-text [--verbose] [--columns N] [--text STRING] [--file PATH] [--program CMD] [--url URL] DESCRIPTION
The xscreensaver-text script prints out some text for use by various screensavers, according to the options set in the ~/.xscreensaver file. This may dump the contents of a file, run a program, or load a URL. OPTIONS
xscreensaver-text accepts the following options: --columns N or --cols N Where to wrap lines; default 72 columns. --verbose or -v Print diagnostics to stderr. Multiple -v switches increase the amount of output. Command line options may be used to override the settings in the ~/.xscreensaver file: --string STRING Print the given string. It may contain % escape sequences as per strftime(2). --file PATH Print the contents of the given file. If --cols is specified, re-wrap the lines; otherwise, print them as-is. --program CMD Run the given program and print its output. If --cols is specified, re-wrap the output. --url HTTP-URL Download and print the contents of the HTTP document. If it contains HTML, RSS, or Atom, it will be converted to plain-text. Note: this re-downloads the document every time it is run! It might be considered abusive for you to point this at a web server that you do not control! ENVIRONMENT
HTTP_PROXY or http_proxy to get the default HTTP proxy host and port. BUGS
The RSS and Atom output is always ISO-8859-1, regardless of locale. URLs should be cached, use "If-Modified-Since", and obey "Expires". SEE ALSO
xscreensaver-demo(1), xscreensaver(1), fortune(1), phosphor(1), apple2(1), starwars(1), fontglide(1), dadadodo(1), webcollage(1), http://www.livejournal.com/stats/latest-rss.bml, http://twitter.com/statuses/public_timeline.atom, driftnet(1), EtherPEG, EtherPeek COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005 by Jamie Zawinski. Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. AUTHOR
Jamie Zawinski <jwz@jwz.org>, 20-Mar-2005. X Version 11 5.15 (28-Sep-2011) xscreensaver-text(1)