Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Store file into a buffer to send it through a socket Post 302347809 by Corona688 on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 12:36:15 PM
Old 08-26-2009
Oh, if you're using stdio anyway, you might as well try this so as to include a few dozen less headers:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
  size_t bytes;
  char buf[512];
  FILE *fp=fopen("filename", "rb");
  if(fp == NULL)
  {
    fprintf(stderr, "Couldn't open file\n");
    return(1);
  }

bytes=fread(buf, 1, 512, fp);
  if(bytes <= 0)
  {
    fprintf(stderr, "Couldn't read from file\n");
    fclose(fp);
    return(2);
  }
  fclose(fp);
  fprintf(stderr, "Read %d bytes into buffer\n", bytes);

return(0);
}

sendfile() is more efficient in some circumstances, but is also 100% linux-specific and nonportable, as well as subject to certain limitations -- the data source must be a file, and the destination must be a socket. It used to be less arbitrary, leading to a few bits of new code taking advantage of it breaking when this behavior was changed. I'm not sure if it behaves the same with all sockets or not, particularly raw sockets which as I understand it must be packet-based.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-26-2009 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: fclose can happen sooner

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is my UDP send/recieve buffer size

Hi, If some one was to suggest, "increase your kernal tunables related to UDP, in particular the UDP send/recieve buffer size".... then what would they mean? :confused: How can I find out what this current value is? Thousand many thanks. Neil (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

send function in socket

Hi All, I encountered a stange problem while doing a perl script to use socket. i need to transfer a file from client to sever. but error came as argument missing in send function.........Plz tell me the wt r the arguments in send and recv functions....... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trupti_rinku
0 Replies

3. Programming

UDP socket - can both client and server recv and send

Hi, Am very new to socket programming. When we use UDP sockets to communicate between two processess, will both the client/server socket be able to send/recv ? meaning can sendto()/ recvfrom() be used on both server and client? It could be useful even if anybody provide some link on socket... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

5. Programming

Send/Receive buffer size??

Dear friends, How do I find the TCP send and receive buffer size? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
1 Replies

6. Programming

Socket Programming Send File

Hello my friends; Look at this 2 program: Client: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> int main ( int agrc, char *argv ) { int Socket; struct sockaddr_in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: htabesh
5 Replies

7. Programming

Finding used socket receive-buffer size

I have set the receive buffer size of socket to max. setsockopt(sd,SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF,&max,optval); Am reading data from the socket in a loop(say max 100 bytes per recv) while(1) { int rlen=recv(sd,(void *)buf, 100 , 0); //err handle and processing } Assume my process is slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnbach
2 Replies

8. Programming

how can I send and receive data in client server socket programing

char name; printf ("Welcome to the server \n"); printf ("Enter user name: \n"); scanf ("%c", &name); how can client send name to server:what should be the code? int send ( int sid , const char ∗buffer Ptr , int len , int f l a g ) how can client receive ack from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saiful_911
1 Replies

9. AIX

Sample C program to Send/Recieve a file using Socket

Hi All, I urgently need a Sample C program to Send/Recieve a file using Socket. Thanks Sara (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saraperu
1 Replies

10. Programming

How to avoid 'No buffer space available' on C socket?

Hello everybody, Years ago i left in stand-by a project of mine where the main program was supposed to send thousands ARP frames over the socket as fast as it could; but because of a programming issue i couldn't continue it. 2 days ago I decided to solve that issue. The thing is, when the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
4 Replies
SETBUF(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETBUF(3)

NAME
setbuf, setbuffer, setlinebuf, setvbuf - stream buffering operations SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> void setbuf(FILE *stream, char *buf); void setbuffer(FILE *stream, char *buf, size_t size); void setlinebuf(FILE *stream); int setvbuf(FILE *stream, char *buf, int mode, size_t size); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): setbuffer(), setlinebuf(): _BSD_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The three types of buffering available are unbuffered, block buffered, and line buffered. When an output stream is unbuffered, information appears on the destination file or terminal as soon as written; when it is block buffered many characters are saved up and written as a block; when it is line buffered characters are saved up until a newline is output or input is read from any stream attached to a terminal device (typically stdin). The function fflush(3) may be used to force the block out early. (See fclose(3).) Normally all files are block buffered. When the first I/O operation occurs on a file, malloc(3) is called, and a buffer is obtained. If a stream refers to a terminal (as stdout normally does) it is line buffered. The standard error stream stderr is always unbuffered by default. The setvbuf() function may be used on any open stream to change its buffer. The mode argument must be one of the following three macros: _IONBF unbuffered _IOLBF line buffered _IOFBF fully buffered Except for unbuffered files, the buf argument should point to a buffer at least size bytes long; this buffer will be used instead of the current buffer. If the argument buf is NULL, only the mode is affected; a new buffer will be allocated on the next read or write opera- tion. The setvbuf() function may only be used after opening a stream and before any other operations have been performed on it. The other three calls are, in effect, simply aliases for calls to setvbuf(). The setbuf() function is exactly equivalent to the call setvbuf(stream, buf, buf ? _IOFBF : _IONBF, BUFSIZ); The setbuffer() function is the same, except that the size of the buffer is up to the caller, rather than being determined by the default BUFSIZ. The setlinebuf() function is exactly equivalent to the call: setvbuf(stream, (char *) NULL, _IOLBF, 0); RETURN VALUE
The function setvbuf() returns 0 on success. It returns nonzero on failure (mode is invalid or the request cannot be honored). It may set errno on failure. The other functions do not return a value. CONFORMING TO
The setbuf() and setvbuf() functions conform to C89 and C99. BUGS
The setbuffer() and setlinebuf() functions are not portable to versions of BSD before 4.2BSD, and are available under Linux since libc 4.5.21. On 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD systems, setbuf() always uses a suboptimal buffer size and should be avoided. You must make sure that the space that buf points to still exists by the time stream is closed, which also happens at program termination. For example, the following is invalid: #include <stdio.h> int main(void) { char buf[BUFSIZ]; setbuf(stdin, buf); printf("Hello, world! "); return 0; } SEE ALSO
fclose(3), fflush(3), fopen(3), fread(3), malloc(3), printf(3), puts(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-06-26 SETBUF(3)