Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pattern matching on any special character in Unix Post 302347783 by techmoris on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 11:25:34 AM
Old 08-26-2009
pattern matching on any special character in Unix

Hi,

I have field in a file which would come with any special character, how do i check that field?

Eg: @123TYtaasa>>>/ 131dfetr_~2

[A-Za-z0-9]

In the above example, how do I add pattern for any special character on the keyboard.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl: regexp matching special character

Hello Experts, Can someone help me here: I have a variable which contains a string with "". set var1 {a} set str1 {a is the element i want to match} Now "regexp $var1 $str1" does not work? ("regexp {a\} $str1" works, but var1 gets it's value automatically from another script) Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching in UNIX

Hello, I have a pattern like "XXXXXX XXXXXX" which i need to make search in a input file and Replace the matched pattern to a another pattern. This is the code i tried .. #!/usr/bin/perl print "Enter a File name :"; chomp ($file = <STDIN>); print "\n Searching file :"; if (system ("ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching problem in UNIX

Hello All, I need help I have a problem in searching the pattern in a file let us say the file contains the below lines line 1 USING *'/FILE/FOLDER/RETURN') ................. ................. line 4 USING *'/FILE/FOLDER/6kdat1') line 5 USING... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pattern matching in unix

Task is to identify files like code.1 , code.23 and so on ... (the files which are ending with a number) but it should not match files like code.123abc. So the search will normally search for files with "code." and at the end we should extract for the correct match. Now I have to remove these files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: diwakar_reddy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Perl split special character $

All I'm trying to split a string at the $ into arrays @data:=<dataFile> a $3.33 b $4.44 dfg $0.56 The split command I have been playing with is: split(/\$/, @data) which results with a .33 b .44 dfg .56 any help with this is appreciated /r Rick (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: schultz2146
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Pattern Matching in Unix

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,CARE_OF 1,Robert,74538,12,RICHARD JOHNSON, P.C 2,Sam,07564,13,% R.S MIKE, V.K.S 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14,@90 KMS, %TK Desired Output: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,CARE_OF... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print range of lines using sed when pattern has special character "["

Hi, My input has much more lines, but few of them are below pin(IDF) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : signal; pin(SELDIV6) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two special character separated files based on pattern matching

Hi. I have 2 files of below format. File1 AA~1~STEVE~3.1~4.1~5.1 AA~2~DANIEL~3.2~4.2~5.2 BB~3~STEVE~3.3~4.3~5.3 BB~4~TIM~3.4~4.4~5.4 File 2 AA~STEVE~AA STEVE WORKS at AUTO COMPANY AA~DANIEL~AA DANIEL IS A ELECTRICIAN BB~STEVE~BB STEVE IS A COOK I want to match 1st and 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep correct pattern with special character and variables

cat file time="north_south_east_west_08:00" location="A" start="left" status="ok" end="north" time="north_south_east_west_12:00" location="C" start="right" status="ok" end="south" time="north_south_east_west_23:00" location="G" start="left" status="ok" end="east"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Binary pattern matching in UNIX

I think what I'm trying to do is pretty straightforward but I just can't find a way to do it. I'm trying to run a double pattern match in a three column file. If the first two columns match, I need to output the third. So in the file AAA BBB 1 BBC CCC 5 CCC DDD 7 DDD EEE 12 If the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewndavies1
4 Replies
EvmEventNameMatch(3)					     Library Functions Manual					      EvmEventNameMatch(3)

NAME
EvmEventNameMatch(), EvmEventNameMatchStr() - match EVM event name SYNOPSIS
Library EVM Support Library Parameters pattern The event name pattern sought. The pattern may be any valid event name string. It may include wildcard characters in place of any component. event The event containing the event name to be compared against the pattern. match The result of the match. This operand is set to if the name matches the pattern, and to if it does not. candidate A character string to be matched against the pattern DESCRIPTION
Because special matching rules apply when deciding whether a candidate event name matches a known name, the EVM name matching functions should be used for matching purposes, rather than the C string comparison functions The EVM functions match an event name against a sup- plied pattern, ignoring any trailing appended components in the candidate name, and correctly matching wildcard characters. The function takes an event and an event name pattern as input, and returns an indication of whether the event contains a name which matches the pattern in the match output argument. The pattern may be any valid event name string, and may also include wildcard characters in place of any component. A wildcard in the pattern matches zero or more name components. A matches exactly one component. A match occurs if the event name matches all components indicated by the pattern, even if the name has additional trailing elements. The function performs the same check as but takes a character string as the candidate event name, instead of extracting the candidate event name from a supplied event. Both functions set the match output argument to if the name matches the pattern, and to if it does not. RETURN VALUE
The operation completed without error. The comparison was successful. The value of the match operand indicates whether the name matches the pattern. One of the arguments to the function is invalid. The supplied pattern contains invalid characters. The supplied event does not contain a name. ERRORS
The value of is not set. SEE ALSO
Routines memccpy(3C), strcat(3C). Event Management EVM(5). EVM Events EvmEvent(5). EvmEventNameMatch(3)