Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Clone scsi disc solaris 8
Operating Systems Solaris Clone scsi disc solaris 8 Post 302347694 by tirher on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 08:38:59 AM
Old 08-26-2009
Clone scsi disc solaris 8

I have a SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2, i have 2 scsi disk, the first with the S.O. and the second free.

I read many in the forum about this: with single user, miniroot, dd, flarcreate, ufsdump and ufsrestore.

Which is the best metod?

If i clone the disk with any of this metods, then only mount the disk or i need anything more?

Tkns.

PS: I'm sorry for my english and my last post in spanish.

Last edited by tirher; 08-26-2009 at 09:48 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCSI Card in Solaris 8

HI, I am trying to install Symbios SCSI PCI adapter in Ultra10 but unable to configure it. Getting following errors genunix: NOTICE: glm0: fault detected in device; service still unavailable genunix: NOTICE: glm0: Symbios PCI device (1000,3) not supported. Anyone has an idea, how to resolve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do I clone Solaris 7 disk

could anyone give me a general idea of how i may clone a 2 Gig disk running Solaris 7 on it to another disk of the same size? currently, this system only has one disk in it though. i do have the ability to hook up another disk via SCSI. i have been told i need to boot to "miniroot" to run... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: obosha
9 Replies

3. Solaris

clone solaris

I have a Sun Solaris 9 and I would like to clone the Operating System from a sun4u Sun Fire 480R machine to a Sun Fire 280R machine. The disk is the same size, the 480R has no space disk slot to the 280R disk for mirrioring, i have no external disk, I am not allowed to take the machine down. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hassan1
1 Replies

4. Solaris

disc clone - using Ufsdump / ufsretore

I am attempting to clone the hard drive of an old (and delicate) SUN Sparc 5 Station using Solaris 7 operating system, an Informix Database and application software. I have successfully copied all six partitions using Ufsdump to DAT tape. However, when I attempt to restore the system using the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAILWAY
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Ultra 10 - Copying Files From Disc After Booting Up With Recovery Disc?

Hello, I'm still learning unix and I have what is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find the question to. I have an Ultra 10 Sparc Server running solaris 8 and the drive may have crashed (I hope not). Currently, it appears some files in the /etc folder are missing. I have a backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ideffects
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 Clone - Help

I've got two drives in the same Sun server and I've been cloning the boot drive to the secondary drive by using both ufsdump/ufsrestore and the dd command sucessfully. When I try and boot the cloned drive I get the following error: WARNING - /usr/sbin/fsck not found. Most likely the mount... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnj1965
10 Replies

7. Solaris

Backup / Clone Solaris Zone Issue

Hi, I'd like to discuss the subject of backing up / cloning Solaris zone. I was trying to clone zone A to zone B (Solaris 10 11/06: Cloning a Non-Global Zone on the Same System (System Administration Guide: Oracle Solaris Containers-Resource Management and Oracle Solaris Zones)). The first test... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 11 - how to backup and restore system disc

I have installed Solaris 11 Express on my machine and now I am wondering what is the best way to backup (to another hard disc) and restore the system hard disc content. The backup should to be done every night using a script launched by cron and all previously done backups should be available to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RychnD
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Newly relabelled disc unable to initialize to Solaris 8 login - please help

We are having a problem with initializing Solaris 8 installed on a Sunblade 1500 after having cloned the hard disc. (The cloning process was done in a windows environment. Not a UNIX environment.) Immediately after the cloning process neither hard disc would boot until the format label... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: DR_RALT
10 Replies

10. Solaris

Need to Clone Solaris OS to another disk

Hi, I am trying to clone the hard disk image of Solaris OS on one disk to another disk. After some googling I found that there is a command "dd" to achieve this. However there is a condition to use the dd command, that the disk geometry of both the disks (source and target disks) should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajujayanthy
5 Replies
VND(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    VND(4)

NAME
vnd -- vnode disk driver SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device vnd options VND_COMPRESSION DESCRIPTION
The vnd driver provides a disk-like interface to a file. This is useful for a variety of applications, including swap files and building miniroot or floppy disk images. This document assumes that you're familiar with how to generate kernels, how to properly configure disks and pseudo-devices in a kernel con- figuration file. In order to compile in support for the vnd, you must add a line similar to the following to your kernel configuration file: pseudo-device vnd # vnode disk driver To also compile in support for reading compressed disk images, add the following option to your kernel config file: options VND_COMPRESSION # compressed vnd(4) Compressed disk images are expected in the cloop2 format, they can be created from "normal" disk images by the vndcompress(1) program. There is a run-time utility that is used for configuring both compressed and uncompressed vnds. See vnconfig(8) for more information. FILES
/dev/{,r}vnd* vnd device special files. SEE ALSO
config(1), vndcompress(1), MAKEDEV(8), fsck(8), mount(8), newfs(8), vnconfig(8) HISTORY
The vnode disk driver was originally written at the University of Utah. The compression handling is based on code by Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>. BUGS
The vnd driver does not work if the file does not reside in a local filesystem. The vnd driver does not work if the file is sparse. BSD
December 18, 2009 BSD