Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combine the lines based on particular pattern Post 302347614 by chipcmc on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 06:31:09 AM
Old 08-26-2009
I'm not suere if you want the las 20ocurrency of VP in this case try:
Code:
$grep VP name_file | tail -20

If you want all the ocurrencies:
Code:
$grep VP name_file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to combine 2 lines in same files based on any text

hi, I want to combine two lines in same file. If the line ends with '&' it should belongs to previous line only Here i am writing example. Ex1: line 1 : return abcdefgh& line 2 : ijklmnopqr& line 3 : stuvw& line 4 : xyz output should be line 1: return abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: spc432
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combine lines within range of pattern

I've a file say having line 1 line 2 (NP line 3 line 4 line 5) line 6 I want to combine lines starting from (NP and ending with ) then it will look like line 1 line 2 (NP line3 line4 line5) line 6 I tried using sed '/(NP/,/)$/ s/\n/ /' but it's not working. Any help please? ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: neg
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine lines from two files based on an if statement

I'm rather new to programming, and am attempting to combine lines from 2 files in a way that is way beyond my expertise - any help would be appreciated! I need to take a file (file1) and add columns to it from another file (file2). However, a line from file2 should only be added to a given line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheri
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple lines in file based on specific field

Hi, I have an issue to combine multiple lines of a file. I have records as below. Fields are delimited by TAB. Each lines are ending with a new line char (\n) Input -------- ABC 123456 abcde 987 890456 7890 xyz ght gtuv ABC 5tyin 1234 789 ghty kuio ABC ghty jind 1234 678 ght ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheesh2011
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to merge lines based on pattern

Hi, I have a requirement to merge multiple lines based on search pattern. The search criteria is : it will search for CONSTRAINT and when it found CONSTRAINT, it will merge all lines to 1 line till it founds blank line. For Example: CREATE TABLE "AMS_DISTRIBUTOR_XREF" ( "SOURCE"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine 3 files based on a pattern

HI, I have 3 files that contain the following information (sql output from Oracle database stored in a txt file): File1.txt : alter table "SYS"."INT_COST_PRICE" enable row movement; alter table "SYS"."INT_SOH" enable row movement; alter table "SYSMAN"."XX_ACI_SKURTP" enable row movement;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rparavastu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a deleting lines based on a pattern

I have a header-detail file that goes like this: SHP00288820131021110921 ORDER0156605920131021110921INMMMMFN DETAIL0004 4C2Z 10769 AAFC 0000009600000094 4C2Z 10769 AAFC 0000672107 OIL DETAIL0002 ER3Z 14300 E 0000001300000012 ER3Z 14300 E 0000672107 OIL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbaggio666
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Combine multiple lines based on number of fields

If a file has following kind of data, comma delimited 1,2,3,4 1 1 1,2,3,4 1,2 2 2,3,4 My required output must have only 4 columns with comma delimited 1,2,3,4 111,2,3,4 1,222,3,4 I have tried many awk command using ORS="" but couldnt progress (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine lines from line with pattern match to a line that ends in a pattern

I am trying to combine lines with these conditions: 1. First line starts with text of "libname VALUE db2 datasrc" where VALUE can be any text. 2. If condition1 is met then continue to combine lines through a line that ends with a semicolon. 3. Ignore case when matching patterns and remove any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wes Kem
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
FNMATCH(3)								 1								FNMATCH(3)

fnmatch - Match filename against a pattern

SYNOPSIS
bool fnmatch (string $pattern, string $string, [int $flags]) DESCRIPTION
fnmatch(3) checks if the passed $string would match the given shell wildcard $pattern. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The shell wildcard pattern. o $string - The tested string. This function is especially useful for filenames, but may also be used on regular strings. The average user may be used to shell patterns or at least in their simplest form to '?' and '*' wildcards so using fnmatch(3) instead of preg_match(3) for frontend search expression input may be way more convenient for non-programming users. o $flags - The value of $flags can be any combination of the following flags, joined with the binary OR (|) operator. A list of possible flags for fnmatch(3) +-------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | $Flag | | | | | | | Description | | | | +-------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | |FNM_NOESCAPE | | | | | | | Disable backslash escaping. | | | | | | | |FNM_PATHNAME | | | | | | | Slash in string only matches slash in the given | | | pattern. | | | | | | | | FNM_PERIOD | | | | | | | Leading period in string must be exactly matched | | | by period in the given pattern. | | | | | | | |FNM_CASEFOLD | | | | | | | Caseless match. Part of the GNU extension. | | | | +-------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if there is a match, FALSE otherwise. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | This function is now available on Windows plat- | | | forms. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Checking a color name against a shell wildcard pattern <?php if (fnmatch("*gr[ae]y", $color)) { echo "some form of gray ..."; } ?> NOTES
Warning For now, this function is not available on non-POSIX compliant systems except Windows. SEE ALSO
glob(3), preg_match(3), sscanf(3), printf(3), sprintf(3). PHP Documentation Group FNMATCH(3)