Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need awk script to compare 2 fields in fixed length file. Post 302347445 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 25th of August 2009 05:18:54 PM
Old 08-25-2009
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

---------- Post updated at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:12 PM ----------

something to start with:
Code:
nawk 'substr($0,87,93-87+1) == substr($0, 119, 125-119+1)' myFile

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

fixed length fields in awk

I am trying to display df -h command out in proper format, how can I display each field of each record in a fixed length. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopla
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk with fixed length files

Hi Unix Champs, I want to awk on a fixed length file. Instead if the file was a delimited file, then I could have used -F and then could have easily done manipulation on the fields. How do i do the same in case of fixed length file? Thanks in Advance. Regards. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: c2b2
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk - Working with fixed length files

OK I am somewhat new to UNIX programming please see what you can do to help. I have a flat file that is a fixed length file containing different records based on the 1st character of each line. The 1st number at the beginning of the line is the record number, in this case it's record #1. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambroze
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed length fields

HPUX and posix shell Hi all. I have a record with fixed length fields....I would like to reorder the fields and preserver the fixed lengths.... cat test 4 960025460 Dept of Music 8 960025248 Dept of Music 12-08 cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyoncc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print fixed length columns to right side

Hi, I am in a situation to print the message on a column, where the each line starting position should be same. For example code: HOSTNAME1="1.2.3.4.5.6.7" TARGET_DIR="/tmp" echo "HOSTNAME1:" "$HOSTNAME1" | awk -v var="Everyone" '{len=55-length;printf("%s%*s\n",$0,len,var)}' echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tprabhaker
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting fixed length file using awk

Hi, I need to split a fixed length file of 160 characters based on value of a column. Example: ABC 456780001 DGDG SDFSF BCD 444440002 SSSS TTTTT ABC 777750003 HHHH UUUUU THH 888880001 FFFF LLLLLL HHH 999990002 GGGG OOOOO I need to split this file on basis of column from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed Length file from a SQL script

Hi, I have a DB2 UDB 9.7 SQL script, as follows: I need to pass the script into Unix and generate a fixed length file from this. Can someone kindly provide a script to achieve it? SELECT CAST(COALESCE(CL_ID,'000000000') AS CHAR(9)) AS CL_ID ,STATUS... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebsus
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting the file based on two fields - Fixed length file

Hi , I am having a scenario where I need to split the file based on two field values. The file is a fixed length file. ex: AA0998703000000000000190510095350019500010005101980301 K 0998703000000000000190510095351019500020005101480 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
4 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)