Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replacing patterns in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing patterns in a file Post 302347136 by agn on Tuesday 25th of August 2009 02:33:17 AM
Old 08-25-2009
You can use sed to replace stings without using a temp file using its -i (edit in place) flag.

Shell variables are not interpreted inside single quotes. You should use double quotes or terminate the single quote before $var and start it after $var.

Code:
$ printf '1,$ s/new/'$var1'/g\nw! samp.txt\nq!'| ex - samp.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find 3 patterns in a file

hy i have a requirement in which my script needs to find 3 patterns in a file and if any pattern is missing it should sent a mail Patterns Interval60min_Daily_readings$a.txt Interval_Daily_readings$a.txt Daily_readings$a.txt Basically i want to test for the above Patterns in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding patterns in a file

Hi, I have a file with 3 columns and I want to find when the average number of rows on column 3 is a certain value. The output will be put into another file indicating the range. Here is what I mean (file is tab separated): hhm1 2 0 hhm1 4 0.5 hhm1 6 0.3 hhm1 8 -1.4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract certain patterns from file.

Hi All, I tried extracting this pattern using grep but it did not work. What I have is a file which has contents like this: file:///channel/add-adhd.html file:///channel/allergies.html file:///channel/arthritis.html http://mail.yahoo.com/ http://messenger.yahoo.com/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text between two patterns

I would like to replace ], with ]]], between /* SECTION2-BEGIN */ and /* SECTION2-END */ in my file. My file contains the following information: /* SECTION1-BEGIN */ , /* SECTION1-END */ /* SECTION2-BEGIN */ , /* SECTION2-END */ /*... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: azdps
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing multiple line patterns with awk

Hi forum, Can you please help me understand how to look for and replace the below pattern (containing line breaks) and return a new result? Rules: Must match the 3 line pattern and return a 1 line result. I have found solutions with sed, but it seems that sed installed in my system is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file with different patterns

I have a text file like this , where the same set of three lines repeat with different values. INFO: processing now 03/25/2015-00:06:05 03/25/2015-00:16:04 ------Invoking myexe table=table1 INFO 25-03 00:20:26,801 - Finished processing (I=0, O=57, R=57, W=57, U=0, E=0) INFO: processing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshmikumari
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing matched patterns in multiple files with awk

Hello all, I have since given up trying to figure this out and used sed instead, but I am trying to understand awk and was wondering how someone might do this in awk. I am trying to match on the first field of a specific file with the first field on multiple files, and append the second field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlmalowned
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Find files excluding file patterns and subfolder patterns

Hello. For a given folder, I want to select any files find $PATH1 -f \( -name "*" but omit any files like pattern name ! -iname "*.jpg" ! -iname "*.xsession*" ..... \) and also omit any subfolder like pattern name -type d \( -name "/etc/gconf/gconf.*" -o -name "*cache*" -o -name "*Cache*" -o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
PREG_REPLACE(3) 							 1							   PREG_REPLACE(3)

preg_replace - Perform a regular expression search and replace

SYNOPSIS
mixed preg_replace (mixed $pattern, mixed $replacement, mixed $subject, [int $limit = -1], [int &$count]) DESCRIPTION
Searches $subject for matches to $pattern and replaces them with $replacement. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for. It can be either a string or an array with strings. Several PCRE modifiers are also available. o $replacement - The string or an array with strings to replace. If this parameter is a string and the $pattern parameter is an array, all pat- terns will be replaced by that string. If both $pattern and $replacement parameters are arrays, each $pattern will be replaced by the $replacement counterpart. If there are fewer elements in the $replacement array than in the $pattern array, any extra $pat- terns will be replaced by an empty string. $replacement may contain references of the form \ n or (since PHP 4.0.4) $ n, with the latter form being the preferred one. Every such reference will be replaced by the text captured by the n'th parenthesized pattern. n can be from 0 to 99, and \0 or $0 refers to the text matched by the whole pattern. Opening parentheses are counted from left to right (starting from 1) to obtain the number of the capturing subpattern. To use backslash in replacement, it must be doubled ( "\\" PHP string). When working with a replacement pattern where a backreference is immediately followed by another number (i.e.: placing a literal number immediately after a matched pattern), you cannot use the familiar \1 notation for your backrefer- ence. \11, for example, would confuse preg_replace(3) since it does not know whether you want the \1 backreference followed by a literal 1, or the \11 backreference followed by nothing. In this case the solution is to use ${1}1. This creates an isolated $1 backreference, leaving the 1 as a literal. When using the deprecated e modifier, this function escapes some characters (namely ', ", and NULL) in the strings that replace the backreferences. This is done to ensure that no syntax errors arise from backref- erence usage with either single or double quotes (e.g. 'strlen('$1')+strlen("$2")'). Make sure you are aware of PHP's string syntax to know exactly how the interpreted string will look. o $subject - The string or an array with strings to search and replace. If $subject is an array, then the search and replace is performed on every entry of $subject, and the return value is an array as well. o $limit - The maximum possible replacements for each pattern in each $subject string. Defaults to -1 (no limit). o $count - If specified, this variable will be filled with the number of replacements done. RETURN VALUES
preg_replace(3) returns an array if the $subject parameter is an array, or a string otherwise. If matches are found, the new $subject will be returned, otherwise $subject will be returned unchanged or NULL if an error occurred. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS As of PHP 5.5.0 E_DEPRECATED level error is emitted when passing in the "e" modifier. As of PHP 7.0.0 E_WARNING is emited in this case and "e" modifier has no effect. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 7.0.0 | | | | | | | Support for the /e modifier has been removed. | | | Use preg_replace_callback(3) instead. | | | | | 5.5.0 | | | | | | | The /e modifier is deprecated. Use | | | preg_replace_callback(3) instead. See the | | | PREG_REPLACE_EVAL documentation for additional | | | information about security risks. | | | | | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $count parameter | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using backreferences followed by numeric literals <?php $string = 'April 15, 2003'; $pattern = '/(w+) (d+), (d+)/i'; $replacement = '${1}1,$3'; echo preg_replace($pattern, $replacement, $string); ?> The above example will output: April1,2003 Example #2 Using indexed arrays with preg_replace(3) <?php $string = 'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.'; $patterns = array(); $patterns[0] = '/quick/'; $patterns[1] = '/brown/'; $patterns[2] = '/fox/'; $replacements = array(); $replacements[2] = 'bear'; $replacements[1] = 'black'; $replacements[0] = 'slow'; echo preg_replace($patterns, $replacements, $string); ?> The above example will output: The bear black slow jumped over the lazy dog. By ksorting patterns and replacements, we should get what we wanted. <?php ksort($patterns); ksort($replacements); echo preg_replace($patterns, $replacements, $string); ?> The above example will output: The slow black bear jumped over the lazy dog. Example #3 Replacing several values <?php $patterns = array ('/(19|20)(d{2})-(d{1,2})-(d{1,2})/', '/^s*{(w+)}s*=/'); $replace = array ('3/4/12', '$1 ='); echo preg_replace($patterns, $replace, '{startDate} = 1999-5-27'); ?> The above example will output: $startDate = 5/27/1999 Example #4 Strip whitespace This example strips excess whitespace from a string. <?php $str = 'foo o'; $str = preg_replace('/ss+/', ' ', $str); // This will be 'foo o' now echo $str; ?> Example #5 Using the $count parameter <?php $count = 0; echo preg_replace(array('/d/', '/s/'), '*', 'xp 4 to', -1 , $count); echo $count; //3 ?> The above example will output: xp***to 3 NOTES
Note When using arrays with $pattern and $replacement, the keys are processed in the order they appear in the array. This is not neces- sarily the same as the numerical index order. If you use indexes to identify which $pattern should be replaced by which $replace- ment, you should perform a ksort(3) on each array prior to calling preg_replace(3). SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), preg_filter(3), preg_match(3), preg_replace_callback(3), preg_split(3), preg_last_error(3). PHP Documentation Group PREG_REPLACE(3)