Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mathematical functions in bash shell Post 302346916 by cfajohnson on Monday 24th of August 2009 11:36:36 AM
Old 08-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cola
Can you post the example code for pow function?

This is a shell function:

Code:
pow() #@ USAGE: pow base exponent
{
   echo $(( ${1:?} ** ${2:?} ))
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script receiving variable and doing mathematical function

Hello, Please help for the following scenario: 1. Shell Scipt should receive 2 variables values (say a and b). 2. Within shell script, there should be division of those numbers (a/b). 3. The result should be whole number i.e. in case the result comes out to be 9.4, it should be returned as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: damansingh
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash functions arguments

This script is called fuu; #!/bin/bash speak() { case $1 in 1)echo one ;; 2)echo two ;; 3)echo three ;; esac } speak exit 0 when i run fuu 2 i expect "two" like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Functions, exit, and kill in bash

Hello Okay, for reasons related to sourcing a script from another script, I've had to put my main loop into a function, and from there I call other functions. My problem then is exiting from deep within the function call stack. I used to simply call exit, and that would accomplish what I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brsett
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH handle mathematical operations and do a Search & Replace?

Hello, I have a bunch of xml file that needs to have edits made and I was wondering if a BASH script could handle it. I would like the script to look within my xml files and replace all integers greater than 5px with a value that is 25% smaller. For example, 100px = 75px. Since the integers... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

functions and variables in bash

I have a bash script with some functions as below and am wondering if I can use the variables declared in setup in the other functions and in the rest of the bash script. setup(){ none=0; low=1; medium=2; high=3; debug=4 var1="red" var2="fred" } create_basemap() { ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help mathematical shell programming

Hello Guys,For my homework I must write a shell script to do this serie, http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/f/8/f/f8f543d9ecd01c4ecca2a0b7bc1234a2.pngI know that I must use the "bc" for that, but for the script's itself i have no idea,(beginner) Can you plz just help me for have some idea?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hamed.samie
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translate bash mathematical calculation to awk

this code below is very useful in calculating mean and quartiles. however, i would really like to translate it to awk without having to write to any external file: #!/bin/sh filename="tmp.txt" sort -n $1 >$filename rows=`wc -l $filename|cut -d' ' -f1` q2=`echo "($rows+1)/2" |bc` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mathematical calculations using shell

Dear All, I read some variables in a file and assigned as name for each of them. If I do echo I am able to see the values as 1.0E-05,3.4,5.0E-03 etc, Now I want to do some mathematical operations with them. Lets say 1 1.0E-05*5.0E-03 expected ans is 5.0E-08 2 1.0E-05/5.0E-03 expected... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Bash Functions in the BG

I'm trying to call some functions in the background so that I can multitask in this script. Not working so hot. The functions I call don't ever seem to get called. I'm doing it the exact same way in another script and it's working like a champ so I'm very confused. Here's a pretty simple repro: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonkers
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash functions sequence ?

OK, I know function has to be defined first - in sequence - before it can be used. So the script has to be build "bottoms -up style, if you pardon my expression. I am running into a problem reusing function and breaking the sequence. It would be nice to be able to see the function... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
10 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)