Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk for date
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk for date Post 302346831 by EAGL€ on Monday 24th of August 2009 07:40:51 AM
Old 08-24-2009
awk for date

Hello All,

in my script i want to get the month part of date. I need the month part because i will grep logs every month using it. When i run the "date" command i got the below result:

Code:
serverprod{root}>date
Mon Aug 24 14:01:20 EEST 2009

but when i type the below command i got Aug24 without space between "Aug" and "24" :
Code:
date | awk '{printf $2 $3}'
Aug24

How can i get a result as same as "Aug 24".

thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need date in awk

Hello all: Running SunOS 5.6 on a SPARCstation-5...and using bourne shell. This is a line from a script I am writing: LOG=/opt/msplib/sys/logs/alarm.log$* grep "Call Answered" $LOG |wc -l | awk '{ print "Call Answered\t" $1 "\tIVR\t" "AR-a"} It works great, and produces the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date in awk

Hi, Can anyone tell me how can we assign a system date to a variable in awk script? Also how can we use this varible to print this in an other file. Regards, Jamuna (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_prasanna
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use of system date in awk

i'm facing problems in using system date in a awk script... it should display the date in a report in mm/dd/yy format.. please help me in this case.. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish4
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to print date

i want to use awk to print the first,second and add date as third column in a file awk -F"|" ' { print $1,$2,current date }' tom.unl >> top.txt how can i achieve this,i need the comma's to seperate them and finally print current date and time as the third. i want output like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding date when using awk

Hi, I want to print the number of lines of a file along with filename and today's date. Ex: XXX|07-22-2010|8 I am using as wc -c -l file.txt | awk '{print "XXX|",date +"%m-%d-%Y","|",$1}' But this one prints as AAA| 0 | 8 Can anyone please help me on this for printing the date? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeroticman
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk, splitting date

can any1 explain me hw is below wrking: wat is substr and dd,mmyear used for wat values will go in dese? sdt='31122010235959' sdate=`validate_date $sdt` validate_date() { dt="$1" set `echo $dt | nawk '{ print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: musu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing date into awk...

Hi All.... I need to pass date into awk and parse logfile based on that.... i used both awk and /usr/xpg4/bin/awk... both are throwing up error..... So here is the stuff... when i use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk : DATE=`date '+%Y %b %d'` START=00 END=23 /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -v DATE={"$DATE"} -v... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find week of the year for given date using date command inside awk

Hi all, Need an urgent help on the below scenario. script: awk -F"," 'BEGIN { #some variable assignment} { #some calculation and put values in array} END { year=#getting it from array and assume this will be 2014 month=#getting it from array and this will be 05 date=#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaidhas
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

awk command in hp UNIX subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option

current date command runs well awk -v t="$(date +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat subtract 30 days fails awk -v t="$(date --date="-30days" +%Y-%m-%d)" -F "'" '$1 < t' myname.dat awk command in hp unix subtract 30 days automatically from current date without date illegal option error... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmarcus
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk IF date comparison help

Hey everyone, I'm trying to create a script using awk and if that will list all of our aws tapes that have archived date that is past 90 days from todays current date, so that I can pass that to my aws command to remove. The fifth column is the creation date in epoch/seconds, so I'm... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: beyondmondays
13 Replies
sulog(4)							   File Formats 							  sulog(4)

NAME
sulog - su command log file SYNOPSIS
/var/adm/sulog DESCRIPTION
The sulog file is a record of all attempts by users on the system to execute the su(1M) command. Each time su(1M) is executed, an entry is added to the sulog file. Each entry in the sulog file is a single line of the form: SU date time result port user-newuser where date The month and date su(1M) was executed. date is displayed in the form mm/dd where mm is the month number and dd is the day number in the month. time The time su(1M) was executed. time is displayed in the form HH/MM where HH is the hour number (24 hour system) and MM is the minute number. result The result of the su(1M) command. A ` + ' sign is displayed in this field if the su attempt was successful; otherwise a ` - ' sign is displayed. port The name of the terminal device from which su(1M) was executed. user The user id of the user executing the su(1M) command. newuser The user id being switched to with su(1M). EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample sulog file. Here is a sample sulog file: SU 02/25 09:29 + console root-sys SU 02/25 09:32 + pts/3 user1-root SU 03/02 08:03 + pts/5 user1-root SU 03/03 08:19 + pts/5 user1-root SU 03/09 14:24 - pts/5 guest3-root SU 03/09 14:24 - pts/5 guest3-root SU 03/14 08:31 + pts/4 user1-root FILES
/var/adm/sulog su log file /etc/default/su contains the default location of sulog SEE ALSO
su(1M) SunOS 5.11 6 Jun 1994 sulog(4)