Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to make sure that a disk is not used? Post 302346287 by jlliagre on Friday 21st of August 2009 11:50:14 AM
Old 08-21-2009
Remove the disk from the machine and wait for a couple of days.

If nobody complains, the disk is not used ... Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to make a boot disk

I need to know how to make a boot disk to get Solaris 7 to load on a intel machine. I have checked out Sun.Com, but did not understand how to download and convert the files to a disk. any help would be appericated thanks Bobby (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Youngadmin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recover DIsk and make bootable

Hello all, I'm trying to recover from backup file to a new system with a new disk. I'm able to partition my new hard drive the same way as my old drive, but I'm unable to boot off of it. I have set the fdisk to toogle as a boot flag. But it does not seem to be working. Does anyone know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Need to make disk device files match

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to change the disk device files ex. /dev/dsk/cxtxd0 ? What I have are two HPUX 11.0 servers using MC Service Guard 11.13. A consultant attached a SAN and both servers had created the same identical LUN device files. Now I could begin creating my volume... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvizza
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How to make a bootable disk?

The second disk that I'm trying to make bootable is to hold another version of Solaris (9). I've created the partitions with format and labeled the disk - created the filesystems with newfs - created and mounted the directories. ...but I think I've missed something out like using fdisk to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using newfs to make file system on a sata disk using Acard adaptor

Hi All: I am using an adaptor between a 1TB SATA hard drive and solaris 8 box with 68 pin scsi. I use the format utility to partition the HD which works fine but when I use newfs, I get some errors. I will place them below. I have blocked and the error message is in red. Anybody got any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mndavies
1 Replies

6. Solaris

how to make repartition of disk

hi I am working with sun solaris 9 and I have 40 GB hard disk and I want to recreate the partition. 1)how can I recreate the partition?? 2) how can I take the back-up of my application so that I will not loose the data.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Gani Network Driver Won't Install - make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make targ...

I attached a README file that I will refer to. I successfully completed everything in the README file until step 4. # pwd /gani/gani-2.4.4 # ls COPYING Makefile.macros gem.c Makefile Makefile.sparc_gcc gem.h Makefile.amd64_gcc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

8. SCO

Make a Copy Entire Hard Disk

Dear All, I have a standalone desktop with SCO Openserver V 5, this is used to control a machine with custom written software. The problem is that the machine manufacturer has closed shop (bankruptcy) and there is no support on software. As a precaution I would want to make a complete backup of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iqbal_siddiqui
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ?

hi all: as we know , when usb flash disk plug in and aotu mounted , the default permission of the usb flash disk is 700. that means others have no permission . the question: how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ? thanks !! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arnold.king
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Make a disk disappear from fdisk output

Hello, 1 ) Fdisk -l # Displays all the disk with partition table information My Query ) A ) How can i make one disk ex: /dev/sdd not visible in fdisk -l output ? B) From where fdisk -l collect and display the information ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
8 Replies
SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)			 systemd-machine-id-commit.service		      SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-commit.service - Commit a transient machine ID to disk SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-commit.service DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-commit.service is an early boot service responsible for committing transient /etc/machine-id files to a writable disk file system. See machine-id(5) for more information about machine IDs. This service is started after local-fs.target in case /etc/machine-id is a mount point of its own (usually from a memory file system such as "tmpfs") and /etc is writable. The service will invoke systemd-machine-id-setup --commit, which writes the current transient machine ID to disk and unmount the /etc/machine-id file in a race-free manner to ensure that file is always valid and accessible for other processes. See systemd-machine-id-setup(1) for details. The main use case of this service are systems where /etc/machine-id is read-only and initially not initialized. In this case, the system manager will generate a transient machine ID file on a memory file system, and mount it over /etc/machine-id, during the early boot phase. This service is then invoked in a later boot phase, as soon as /etc has been remounted writable and the ID may thus be committed to disk to make it permanent. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-machine-id-setup(1), machine-id(5), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)