Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Suspend of crontab temprorarily Post 302346219 by fpmurphy on Friday 21st of August 2009 09:10:46 AM
Old 08-21-2009
It depends on your operating system. If you are using GNU/Linux and it has anacron, this may not be the case.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Process Suspend

Hi, I have this doubt.... When some program is running and if we press CTRL+Z...it is suspended... what should we do to continue its execution I know that KILL can be used to completely terminate the process....but is there any way to continue... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proton
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

suspend a process

Hello, Two child processes work at the same time because they communicate one another. In KSH, does it exist a good way to suspend a parent process until one of the two child processes stops. It seems that the command 'wait' works well for one process but for two processes, it suspends the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: piou78
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Suspend to write file

We have a common directory , everyone can put file to it , but I found that there is a problem if the user continouosly write files to this directory while the another application is running at the same time , so I want temporaily "protect" the directory , no files can be write to it at a specific... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suspend Cron job temprory

Hi Is there any way to suspend cron job without ommitting crontab entries?? I have a no of entries in crontab, which runs daily.......... what if I want to suspend all process in cron one day . Is there any one line command for it ?? Please suggest Rergards Pankaj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Suspend in opensolaris

How does one enable the suspend to hard drive or ram and sleep features on a desktiop running Open Solaris? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FloridaBSD
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to suspend a user account?

Hi, guys. I have two questions: I need to write a script, which can show all the non-suspended users on system, and suspend the selected user account. There are two things I am not sure: 1. How can I suspend user's account? What I think is: add a string to the encrypted password in shadow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

temporarily suspend crontab

Issues: Cron jobs are running everyday at 8PM to hot backup database, archivelog, and some other files. Sometimes crontab scheduled backups need to be suspended for some other tasks randomly but doesn't happen all the time. Objective: I need to create simple script or command ( example :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul.S
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 Suspend System

One of our Solaris 10 Guru's created a Solaris 10 image and he disabled the Suspend System option. How do I enable it again? example right click on the desktop the go to the bottom Suspend System in grayed out. Any help would be great. ---------- Post updated at 09:02 PM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

suspend a *background* running job

Is there a way to suspend (TSTP?) a job that is running in the background, _without_ first bringing it to the foreground and inputting Ctrl-Z from the keyboard? IOW, something similar to issuing the shell's bg builtin command on a job ID to resume a job that is suspended in the background,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hibernate and Suspend

I have a C++ program which ends up getting run on every conceivable distro. What I can't do in C++, I can do by shelling out to the O/S. I am trying to find a portable way to send the system into hibernate and suspend modes. For users who have pm-utils, of course, I can use that, but I am trying... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonShw
4 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintain crontab files for individual users (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] [-l | -r | -e] DESCRIPTION
Crontab is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in ISC Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the cron.allow file does not exist but the cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, only the super user will be allowed to use this command. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(8) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> 4th Berkeley Distribution 29 December 1993 CRONTAB(1)