Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Unix which can easily boot from a DVD Post 302345976 by DukeNuke2 on Thursday 20th of August 2009 06:24:36 PM
Old 08-20-2009
1. fedora = linux (!UNIX)
2. download ANY live distribution to do some scripting... the syntax depends on the shell (bash, sh, ksh, csh, ...), not the linux distribution
3. if you need a live UNIX, go for opensolaris (which boots fine from cd)

edit:
forget one thing, you can also use virtualbox (or vmware) to install a "virtual" UNIX/linux on your system!

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 08-20-2009 at 07:29 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot boot - Boot : Panic : File size out of range (EWS-UX/V unix)

Hey ! I am running EWS-UX/V (Rel 4.2) on NEC EWS/4800/330 station and I am having problems rebooting my station : I am getting the following message on display : BOOT : PANIC : File size out of range. According to user guide, this error is occuring when a file exceeding the limit and/or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change password script in Unix easily..

I have more than 50 server unix's password need to change, usually I assign one password for all hosts, for easy remember, but I need to change password every two months..it's very tried to change password every 2 months, is there any unix script that can change password easily? ie ' script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Boot options - DVD drive read error

I was wondering if there was a way to boot from openboot from the dvd drive. I was thinking about imaging the dvd to a blank drive and going about it that way. I just need to do a flash install. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Ultra 5 will not boot from DVD ROM :(

Hi, I just got a new Ultra 5 and replaced the CD-ROM with an LG DVD-ROM (approved and listed in Sun HCL). Got the DVD-ROM installed to install Solaris 10. Im just learning and new to Solaris installation. When I insert a Solaris 10 DVD I see that it gets mounted and File Manager opens and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greypilgrim
8 Replies

5. Solaris

DVD Solaris System Not able to Mount and Boot

Hi, I have a .ISO file of Solaris system burned into a DVD+ROM, and I encounter the following problems, I am using Sun V440 server, (1) Not able to detect the DVD contents under /cdrom. (2) After reboot with this bootable DVD, I get the following errors, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Can't boot from burned Sol 10 x86 DVD

Hi all- I am trying to boot from a Solaris 10 DVD which I burned from the ISO I d/l from Sun(Oracle). I checked the byte counts of the image on Sun's website and my system and they are the same. I and using cdrecord from Schilly and burning the DVD like so: cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -dao... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Fedora 16 (i686) DVD boot issue in x86 (32bit)

Hi, I'm using fedora for 5 years. recently i decided to install new version (16). after i reboot the computer and want to boot from dvd nothing happen's and system boot's from hard disk (i have setup the bios to directly boot from dvd-rom and my dvd-rom is ok). i have downloaded (again) fc16 dvd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ba$h
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Boot Solaris 10 U1 for x86 from DVD

Is it possible to boot an existing Solaris 10 update 1 from boot dvd that I run on p3(1 ghz -512 mb ram). I have got a dual boot sys - the other os is win xp that I need to reinstall but that removes the mbr so, is there any way to recover mbr after the installation of xp? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
3 Replies
re-preinstall(1M)					  System Administration Commands					 re-preinstall(1M)

NAME
re-preinstall - installs the JumpStart software on a system SYNOPSIS
cdrom-mnt-pt/Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall [-m Solaris_boot_dir] [-k platform_name] target-slice DESCRIPTION
re-preinstall installs the JumpStart software (preinstall boot image) on a system, so you can power-on the system and have it automatically install the Solaris software (perform a JumpStart installation on the system). When you turn on a re-preinstalled system, the system looks for the JumpStart software on the system's default boot disk. All new SPARC systems have the JumpStart software already preinstalled. The XX in Solaris_XX is the version number of the Solaris release being used. You can use the re-preinstall command in several ways. The most common way is to run re-preinstall on a system to install the JumpStart software on its own default boot disk. This is useful if you want to restore a system to its original factory conditions. (See the first procedure described in EXAMPLES.) You can also run re-preinstall on a system to install JumpStart software on any attached disk (non-boot disk). After you install the Jump- Start software on a disk, you can move the disk to a different system and perform a JumpStart installation on the different system. (See the second procedure described in EXAMPLES.) re-preinstall creates a standard file system on the specified target-slice (usually slice 0), and re-preinstall makes sure there is enough space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. If sufficient space is not available, re-preinstall fails with the following message: re-preinstall: target-slice too small xx Megabytes required You can use the format(1M) command to create sufficient space on the target-slice for the JumpStart software. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -k platform_name Platform name of the system that will use the disk with the JumpStart software. The default is the platform name of the system running re-preinstall. (Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine a system's platform name.) -m Solaris_boot_dir Absolute path to the Solaris_XX/Tools/Boot subdirectory of a mounted Solaris CD or a Solaris CD copied to disk that re-preinstall uses to install the JumpStart software. The default is root (/), which is where the Solaris CD is mounted in single-user mode. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: target-slice Device name of the disk slice where the JumpStart software will be installed (usually slice 0), for example, c0t3d0s0. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Own Default Boot Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's own default boot disk: 1. From the ok prompt, boot the system from the Solaris media CD or DVD in single-user mode: ok boot cdrom -s 2. The following command installs the Jumpstart software on the System default boot disk, c0t0d0s0 on a Solaris 9 system: example# /usr/sbin/install.d/re-preinstall c0t0d0s1 3. Reboot the slice: example# reboot disk:b Example 2: Installing the JumpStart Software on a System's Attached (non-boot) Disk The following procedure installs the JumpStart software on a system's attached (non-boot) disk: 1. Mount the Solaris CD or DVD if vold(1M) is not running or CD or DVD is not mounted. 2. Use the format(1M) command to determine the target-slice where JumpStart will be installed. 3. Use the uname(1) command (-i option) to determine the platform name of the system that will use the re-preinstalled disk 4. Run re-preinstall with the -m Solaris_boot_dir option if the Solaris CD or DVD is not mounted on /cdrom. The following command installs the JumpStart software on the system's attached disk for a system with a Sun4u kernel architecture, and it uses the Solaris CD or DVD mounted with vold(1M) on a Solaris 9 system: example# /cdrom/cdrom/s1/usr/bin/install.d/re-preinstall -m /cdrom/cdrom/s1 -k sun4u c0t2d0s0 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris CD, | | |SPARC Platform Edition) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uname(1), eeprom(1M), format(1M), mount(1M), vold(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations SunOS 5.10 9 Apr 2002 re-preinstall(1M)