Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mkdir: copying a folder's permissions Post 302345623 by pcwiz on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 05:57:57 PM
Old 08-19-2009
@avronius,

I could probably use that method and then make a shell script out of it. However, I was wondering if there was an easier way to get the permissions in plain number format rather than using ls and doing the conversion.

@chompy

That works, but unfortunately I don't want to copy the entire directory, just its permissions.

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

folder permissions

I work for a big company and all the people within my unit share a common drive to save documents to. I am listed in the group(AMS group) that has access rights to folders within this drive. but i'm trying to restrict access to a confidential folder so that only I can access it. when I set the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shed
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Finding files in a folder and copying to another folder

Hi all, I have a folder '/samplefolder' in which i have some files like data0.txt, data1.txt and data2.txt. I have to search the folder for existence of the file data0.txt first and if found have to copy it to some other file; next i have to search the folder for existence of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying latest file into a folder

Hello all, this is my first post while i am trying to understand unix. I would basically like to know if i can do this: Lets say i have a folderA and folderB And i save something in folderA Can i make a script that checks folderA latest file, then compares it with the date of latest file in... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: takissd
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions issue after copying files

Hi everyone, I am using mac os x 10.6, and I just copied over a project from a machine with 10.5... And I noticed my ls color is very funky in this directory... I found that my permissions are all messed up, and am wondering if there is a way to recursively fix permissions? This is how they... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Copying Folder, C program

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Copying all the normal files from 1 folder to another on a unix platform. I pass in 1 or 2 arguments, the folder... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MW99
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder permissions to delete

I am using the below command to delete files from directories and subdirectories find /test/abc/xyx -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; there are some subfolders in xyx for which i don't have permission to delete. Is there a way i can check the permission of the folder first and then delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Need to compare two folder / FS permissions

Hi, Need to compare two folders / File systems permissions & time stamps including sub folders and files. Kindly let me know if any commands available. Regards :: VM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novaothers
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Folder permissions

Hi Team, I want to set permissions to one folder in such a way that the user can write files or create folder inside that but should not able to delete it. Basically reason behind this is i am using Pidgin Messenger. There is a directory of logs in which, when user chat its store his logs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for mkdir with permissions

Hello, I'm pretty new to scripting and trying to do a simple (well, I thought so) administrator task. I'm using bash. I want to create 10 directories under the one directory and apply permissions at the same time. I've worked out the make directories part: mkdir /userdata/folder{1..50}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimothy007
7 Replies
pam_console_appy(8)					   System Administrator's Manual				       pam_console_appy(8)

NAME
pam_console_apply - set or revoke permissions for users at the system console SYNOPSIS
pam_console_apply [-r] DESCRIPTION
pam_console_apply sets or resets permissions on devices in the same manner as pam_console. If /var/run/console.lock exists, pam_console_apply will grant permissions to the user listed therein. If the lock file does not exist, permissions are reset to those listed in /etc/security/console.perms, which should be configured to set permissions on devices so that root owns them. ARGUMENTS
-r Signals pam_console_apply to reset permissions. The default is to set permissions so that the user listed in /var/run/console.lock has access to the devices, and to reset permissions if no such file exists. FILES
/var/run/console.lock /etc/security/console.perms SEE ALSO
pam_console(8) console.perms(5) BUGS
Let's hope not, but if you find any, please report them via the "Bug Track" link at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/ AUTHOR
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>, using code shamelessly stolen from parts of pam_console. Red Hat 2001/3/6 pam_console_appy(8)