Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Unable to find 8 gb of memory Post 302345577 by sboots on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 03:33:08 PM
Old 08-19-2009
It is ZFS

if you are using zfs that is where your memory goes. By design zfs caches memory. It is called the arc cache. It will release memory based on system needs but is going to take as much as there is avaliable for its cache. It is recommended not to modify this and let zfs manage it for you, however you can adjust it by modifying your /etc/system file to minimize the amount of memory that zfs can reserve for its arc. If you want to see how much zfs is using go to this site and get arcstat.pl and run it on your system Monitoring ZFS Statistic - Roman Ivanov

the output will look like so:

# ./arcstat.pl
Time read miss miss% dmis dm% pmis pm% mmis mm% arcsz c
14:20:55 343M 36M 10 34M 10 2M 10 1M 0 10G 10G
14:20:56 11 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 10G 10G
14:20:57 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 10G 10G
14:20:58 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 10G 10G
14:20:59 26 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 10G 10G
14:21:00 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 10G 10G

This shows me that zfs on my system is cacheing 10g of physical memory. I would be willing to bet you will find your 8g there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to allocate enough memory

On SunOS 5.8 I get an error when starting a large Java process with over 2Gb memory. Error occurred during initialization of VM Could not reserve enough space for object heap When stopping several other Java processes we can start this process. This seems to indicate that we don't have... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
11 Replies

2. HP-UX

WAS 6.1 ND/Lawson ERP/HP-UX 11.23 PA-RISC - unable to attach shared memory segment

I'm not an HP-UX Admin professional, but rather a Lawson ERP installer. I'm looking for clues on how to troubleshoot this issue. I have WAS 6.1 ND running on HP-UX 11.23 PA-RISC with the Lawson ERP application . When I start the Lawson application, no errors arise. When I start WAS app server, an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrvitas
4 Replies

3. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

4. Solaris

unable to detect new cpu/memory module

Hi all, I just add in new cpu/memory module into SFV480 and unable to see new module on slot B. I already try many way like only 1 new module and swap the both module and boot up but still unable to see it. If I only install the module into slot B, then the server is unbootable at all. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mailbox80
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Unable to remove shared memory in Redhat Linux

unable to remove shared memory using ipcrm -m in linux $ ipcs -m ------ Shared Memory Segments -------- key shmid owner perms bytes nattch status 0x00000000 32768 root 644 80 2 0x00000000 65537 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
4 Replies

6. Solaris

unable to allocate enough memory

On SunOS 10 get an error when starting a large Java process with over 2Gb memory. Error occurred during initialization of VM Could not reserve enough space for object heap i have 32G memory !! , swap = 31G Please any advice !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moata_u
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to view output of Sar File for memory

Hi I am unable to view the output of sar file using below command sar -f sar07, it is showing below error. Invalid system activity file: sar07 (0x920) above file is in location /var/log/sa wheather for memory it is creating the file at different location? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

How to find the used memory in HP-UX?

Hi all, Can any please provide how to calculate the cpu and memory usage of HP-UX server. Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
6 Replies

9. AIX

Unable to change memory

Hello All, So it goes like this... I logged in to the HMC console , trying to change the memory of LPAR from 20 to 25 GB . It says that "your profile is configured to use maximum of only 20 GB" and not able to increase the memory. I created a new profile and filled "maximum memory " field... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unable to find package

Hi there. I'm putting together a small cluster of Raspberry pis running Raspbian. They've all been setup identically from the same sd image. They all update and install perfectly except one node which refuses to install anything. It has exactly the same login, network, user details etc,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
3 Replies
MXGE(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   MXGE(4)

NAME
mxge -- Myricom Myri10GE 10 Gigabit Ethernet adapter driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device firmware device mxge Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following lines in loader.conf(5): if_mxge_load="YES" mxge_ethp_z8e_load="YES" mxge_eth_z8e_load="YES" mxge_rss_ethp_z8e_load="YES" mxge_rss_eth_z8e_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The mxge driver provides support for PCI Express 10 Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Myricom LANai Z8E chip. The driver supports Transmit/Receive checksum offload, Jumbo Frames, TCP segmentation offload (TSO) as well as Large Receive Offload (LRO). For further hardware information, see http://www.myri.com/. For questions related to hardware requirements, refer to the documentation supplied with your Myri10GE adapter. All hardware requirements listed apply to use with FreeBSD. Support for Jumbo Frames is provided via the interface MTU setting. Selecting an MTU larger than 1500 bytes with the ifconfig(8) utility configures the adapter to receive and transmit Jumbo Frames. The maximum MTU size for Jumbo Frames is 9000. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). HARDWARE
The mxge driver supports 10 Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Myricom LANai Z8E chips: o Myricom 10GBase-CX4 (10G-PCIE-8A-C, 10G-PCIE-8AL-C) o Myricom 10GBase-R (10G-PCIE-8A-R, 10G-PCIE-8AL-R) o Myricom 10G XAUI over ribbon fiber (10G-PCIE-8A-Q, 10G-PCIE-8AL-Q) LOADER TUNABLES
Tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf(5). hw.mxge.flow_control_enabled Whether or not hardware flow control is enabled on the adapter. The default value is 1. hw.mxge.intr_coal_delay This value delays the generation of all interrupts in units of 1 microsecond. The default value is 30. hw.mxge.skip_pio_read This value determines whether or not the driver may omit doing a PIO read in the interrupt handler which ensures that the interrupt line has been deasserted when using xPIC interrupts. A non-zero value may result in lower CPU overhead, however it may also result in spurious interrupts. The default value is 0. This tunable has no effect when the device is using MSI or MSI-X interrupts. hw.mxge.max_slices This value determines the maximum number of slices the driver will attempt to use. The default value is 1. A slice is comprised of a set of receive queues and an associated interrupt thread. When using multiple slices, the NIC hashes traffic to different slices based on the value of hw.mxge.rss_hashtype. Using multiple slices requires that your motherboard and Myri10GE NIC both be capable of MSI-X. Older Myri10GE NICs can be field upgraded to add MSI-X using the "10G NIC Tool Kit" for FreeBSD which is available from http://www.myri.com/scs/download-10g-tools.html. hw.mxge.rss_hashtype This value determines how incoming traffic is steered to different slices. This tunable is ignored when using just a single slice. The legal values for this tunable are: 1 Hash on the source and destination IPv4 addresses. 2 Hash on source and destination IPv4 addresses and if the packet is TCP, then also hash on the TCP source and destination ports. 4 Hash on the TCP or UDP source ports. This is the default value. DIAGNOSTICS
mxge%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: memory A fatal initialization error has occurred. mxge%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: interrupt A fatal initialization error has occurred. mxge%d: Could not find firmware image %s The appropriate firmware kld module was not installed. This is a non-fatal initialization error, but will result in running in a reduced performance mode. SUPPORT
For general information and support, go to the Myricom support website at: http://www.myri.com/scs/. If an issue is identified with the released source code on the supported kernel with a supported adapter, email the specific information related to the issue to <help@myri.com>. SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The mxge device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 6.3. AUTHORS
The mxge driver was written by Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
February 13, 2008 BSD