Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [bash] Simple backup (cp) script but incremental Post 302345427 by laurens on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 08:18:59 AM
Old 08-19-2009
Thanks for the replies, I am indeed familiar with cp and its options, like recursive. Having the verbose options print all the copied files would be nice in my case.
Like you said it is maybe better to not use cp; but cpio instead.
The only problem I experience now is that it doesn't copy recursive. (but only the single file in /home ; not the folders) Is there a solution to this?

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reinvent incremental backup in bash?

I want to backup two important files everytime they are modified. How would I write a bash script that would check the dates of my zip files and my data files and only create a new zip file if the zip file is older than the two data files? Thanks, Siegfried (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar - incremental backup

Hello everyone! I'm trying to make incremental tar archives of a folder for an example. On the box I use is UNIX AIX installed. I tried some sample codes I found on several web pages but with no success. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please write some sample code to make incremental tar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funky_ass
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

incremental backup

Hi All.. i am trying to write a script which will give the incremental tar backup of all files with latest timestam. i tried with find -mmin -2 but if it takes half on hour or something to creat the tar itself, then no meaning in using the above command. so please help me to find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Usha Shastri
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best unix incremental backup utility?

Hello everyone. Could you please advise of what would be the best Unix (Debian 4) program for regular (daily or weekly) incremental backups? I'm not sure whether the backups will be stored on a "backup" drive on the same system or on an external "backup" system, but we would like to have a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nottrobin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incremental backup

Hi, I would like to create a daily incremental backup of a directory with all of the files within and add a timestamp (year-month-day) to the tar.gz file. I have the following, but it doesn't backup the inside files of the directory. #!/bin/bash tar -czf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Incremental Backup

I have a folder /root/test in a centos 5.3 system. I want to take an incremental backup of the contents of the folder in the C:\Downloads folder of a windows system present in the same lan as the linux system. What are the ways of executing this plan? Kindly help (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

incremental and full backup.. please help me

Hi, i'm new here(and a newbie) and i need some help with a project. I need to write a script for an incremental backup (this must be executed every day at 24:00) and a full backup (executed once a month) for etc/var/home directories. Can someone please help me with this? And a small explanation of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bender-alex
9 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

incremental or full backup ???

Hi. Can someone tell me if the following script that i have made is a script for INCREMENTAL BACKUP or FULL BACKUP. My teacher told me that is doing an FULL BACKUP. • find /etc /var /home -newer /backups/.backup_reference > /backups/.files_to_archive • touch /backups/.backup_reference • tar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bender-alex
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies
BACKUP.D(5)							backupninja package						       BACKUP.D(5)

NAME
BACKUP.D - Action configuration files for backupninja(1). SYNOPSIS
/etc/backup.d/* DESCRIPTION
To preform the actual backup actions, backupninja processes each action configuration file in /etc/backup.d according to the file's suffix. .sh run this file as a shell script. .rdiff backup action for rdiff-backup. .dup backup action for duplicity. .maildir backup action for slow, incremental rsyncs of tens of thousands of maildirs. .mysql backup action for safe MySQL dumps. .pgsql backup action for safe PostgreSQL dumps. .sys backup action for general system reports and hardware information. .svn backup action for safe backups of subversion repositories. .trac backup action for safe backups of trac repositories. .makecd backup action for burning backups to CD/DVD or creating ISOs. These files must be owned by root and must not be world or group readable/writable. Support for additional configuration types can be added by dropping bash scripts with the name of the suffix into /usr/share/backupninja. The configuration files are processed in alphabetical order. However, it is suggested that you name the config files in "sysvinit style." For example: 10-local.pgsql.disabled 15-runthisfirst.sh 20-runthisnext.mysql 90-runthislast.rdiff Typically, you will put a '.rdiff' config file last, so that any database dumps you make are included in the filesystem backup. Action con- figurations which end with .disabled are skipped. Example templates for the action configuration files can be found in /usr/share/doc/backupninja/examples. You can also use ninjahelper(1), a console based "wizard" for creating backup actions. SCHEDULING
By default, each configuration file is processed everyday at 01:00 (1 AM). This can be changed by specifying the 'when' option in a backup action's config file or in the global configuration file. Special value 'manual' will disable scheduling for the backup action. It is pos- sible to run the backup action manually by invoking ninjahelper(1) with --run command line argument. For example: when = sundays at 02:00 when = 30th at 22 when = 30 at 22:00 when = everyday at 01 when = Tuesday at 05:00 when = hourly when = manual These values for "when" are invalid: when = tuesday at 2am when = tuesday at 2 when = tues at 02 A configuration file will be processed at the time(s) specified by the "when" option. If multiple "when" options are present, then they all apply. If two configurations files are scheduled to run in the same hour, then we fall back on the alphabetical ordering specified above. The "when" must occur before any sections in the action configuration file. FILE FORMAT
The file format of the action configuration files is "ini style." Sections are created by using square bracket. Long lines are connected with a backslash. For example: # this is a comment [fishes] fish = red fish = blue [fruit] apple = yes pear = no thanks i will not have a pear. SEE ALSO
backupninja(1), ninjahelper(1), backupninja.conf(5), AUTHOR
BACKUPNINJA was written by the riseup.net collective. riseup October 10, 2005 BACKUP.D(5)