Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [bash] Parse files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [bash] Parse files Post 302345160 by Scott on Tuesday 18th of August 2009 02:42:57 PM
Old 08-18-2009
Don't use ` ... `.

Use $( ... )

It's easier to read... will save you on spectacles in the long run!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you parse a variable in a bash script?

I have a script I use on my web server (Apache2). I am changing to Lighttpd and need to make a few changes. This is what I use on my apache server #!/bin/bash # accepts 3 parameters: <domain name> <user name> <XXXXXXXX> # domain name is without www (just domain.com) # username would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertical98
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issue while using xsltproc tp parse XML in bash

I have written a bash script which opens a folder, reads all the *.xml files in it, and pulls the required data that i need from XML tags. I am using xsltproc (my xsl name) (my xml folder location/*.xml) and running this in a for each loop The problem is that some XML files are having special... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivashankar.g
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Parse XML from bash script

I am completely new to bash scripting and now need to write a bash script that would parse a XML file and take out values from specific tags. I tried using xsltproc, xml_grep commands. But the issue is that the XML i am trying to parse is not UTF 8. so those commands are unable to parse my XML's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivashankar.g
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to read a file and parse each record

Hi Guys, I am new to unix scripting and I am tasked to parse through a CSV file delimited by #. Sample: sample.csv H#A#B#C D#A#B#C T#A#B#C H = Header D = Detail Record T = Tail What I need is to read the file and parse through it to get the columns. I have no idea on how... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3vilwyatt
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to parse output for variables in Bash

Trying to finish up my script that automates some video encoding work. Situation: There is an MKV file to be transcoded. Problem: MKVINFO will give a bunch of output about an MKV file, included in that output are two lines I am interested in: | + Default duration: 41.708ms (23.976 fps... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: randyharris
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell Script to parse file

Raw Results: results|192.168.2|192.168.2.1|general/udp|10287|Security Note|For your information, here is the traceroute from 192.168.2.24 to 192.168.2.1 : \n192.168.2.24\n192.168.2.1\n\n results|192.168.2|192.168.2.1|ssh (22/tcp)|22964|Security Note|An SSH server is running on this port.\n... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jroberson
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash script to parse sequence...

Hi, I have 4000 list files and 4000 sequence data files. Each list file contains a number of 'headers' and data file contains 'header and data'. I would like to extract data from the data file using the list file and write into a new file. As each of the files are quite large, an efficient piece... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse output line using bash

hi, i have the followiing scenario where by i am parsing teh following output using cut -d like so #!/bin/bash output="ABCTable| ------------------| | ------------------| code | name | amount |" col1= $output | cut -d'|' -f5 col2= $output | cut -d'|'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nano2
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script for parse input like option and value

I would create a bash script than parse like this: test.sh -p (protocol) -i (address) -d (directory) I need retrive the value after -p for example... understand??? I hope... thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ionral
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to parse Perforce Logs

Hi All, I need to write a bash script that will parse some perforce log files, the log files will contain user login information, the script would need to pare the log, and check who logs in, and if the user is a superadmin, then the script will check the ip address to see which server the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BostonRob
4 Replies
faked(1)						      Debian GNU/Linux manual							  faked(1)

NAME
faked - daemon that remembers fake ownership/permissions of files manipulated by fakeroot processes. SYNOPSIS
faked [--debug] [--foreground] [--cleanup] [--key msg-key] [--load] [--save-file save-file] [--port TCP-port] DESCRIPTION
If a fakeroot process wants to change the ownership of a file, then faked is the process that remembers that new owner. If later the same fakeroot process does a stat() for that filename, then the libfakeroot wrapped stat() call will first ask faked for the fake ownership etc of that file, and then report it. OPTIONS
--debug Print debugging information on stderr. --foreground Don't fork into the background. --cleanup number Cleanup the semaphores. --key key-number Don't allocate a new communication channel, but use channel specified by key. (If the specified channel doesn't exist, it's cre- ated). --save-file save-file Save the environment to save-file on exit. --load Load a previously saved environment from the standard input. --unknown-is-real Use real ownership of previously-unknown files instead of setting them to root:root. --port tcp-port Use TCP port tcp-port. BUGS
None so far. Be warned, though: although I've written quite a few much larger (and smaller) programs, I've never written anything that was as tiny as fakeroot, had as many bugs as fakeroot, and still was as usable as, say, fakeroot version 0.0_3, the first version that could be used to build itself. COPYING
fakeroot is distributed under the GNU General Public License. (GPL 2.0 or greater). AUTHORS
joost witteveen <joostje@debian.org> Clint Adams <clint@debian.org> Timo Savola MANUAL PAGE
mostly by J.H.M. Dassen <jdassen@debian.org> mods/additions by joost and Clint. SEE ALSO
fakeroot(1), dpkg-buildpackage(1), debuild(1) /usr/share/doc/fakeroot/DEBUG Debian Project 17 June 2004 faked(1)