Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Is there a system call other than 'open' for opening very large files? Post 302344600 by dariyoosh on Monday 17th of August 2009 06:03:04 AM
Old 08-17-2009
Many thanks for the answers!

Kind Regards,
Dariyoosh
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Why is my file system cache so large

Hi I have a filesystem cache which is around 20G in size and I'm a bit perplexed as to what is in it. I'm running Sybase on the machine with the db on raw volumes and a tempdb on a ramdisk. My understanding is that raw volumes are not cached and I assumed that the ramdisk is not either. Am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgibbons
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

3. Web Development

Content Management System for uploading large files

Hi everybody, I am currently trying to develop a simple content management system where I have an internal website for my users to upload large files onto the server. The site is password protected and my users won't be trying to hack into the system so security is a non-factor (as least for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Call Wrapper of 'open'

When the programmer use 'open' function, the process is like below. "open -> system call wrapper of open in Glibc -> syscall_open in kernel" I found the wrapper of open, but there is no implementation like 'int $80'. int __open (file, oflag) const char *file; int oflag; { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuno96
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance pls - pipe error: Too many open files in system

When I run a bash script in the customer system, it throws the warning and script exits Exec '/root/sample.sh' @ hostname-- OK (warn) /root/sample.sh: pipe error: Too many open files in system /root/sample.sh: n + : syntax error: operand expected (error token is " ") Exec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyamirra
5 Replies

6. SCO

Need advice: Copying large CSV report files off SCO system

I have a SCO Unix server from 1999 running SCO 5.0.5 and some ancient accounting software called Real World A report writer program on the system is used to generate CSV files from accounting that we write with DOSCOPY commands to 3.5" floppies In the next 60 days we will be decommissioning... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnetman
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

resize2fs open: Is a directory while opening /home

Can anyone explain this error to me? I am trying to use resize2fs to resize an ext4 partition. I did unmount the partition and I don't have any files opened or anything like that. Here is the full output. # resize2fs -p /home 3G resize2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010) open: Is a directory while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. Programming

open() system call in c++????

Hi friends, I am trying to use the open system call in c++ language. Please have a look at my code. vi Open.cpp 1 #include <stdio.h> 2 #include <iostream> 3 4 #define BUFSIZE 1 5 6 using namespace std; 7 8 int main() 9 { 10 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to open large datafie in awk?

I just tried awk '{print}' all.plo awk: cannot open all.plo (Value too large for defined data type)awk '{print $8"-"$7"-"$6,$9,$4,$5,$12,$15}' all.plo awk: cannot open all.plo (Value too large for defined data type) datafile size is 4.8GB any other provision ? only cat works FS is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Getting read only propmt when opening /etc/system file

root@atrcx146:/# vi /etc/system "/var/tmp/Exv9a4Rb" Read-only file system Please let me know the reason (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Marty11
1 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)