Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to send file to the tape in Solaris? Post 302344564 by nypreH on Monday 17th of August 2009 05:07:41 AM
Old 08-17-2009
How to send file to the tape in Solaris?

Hi all,

I want to send some files to the tape but unfortunatelly I don't know how to do it...
My tape drive name /dev/rmt/1un, file is here - /tmp/test

Could you please show me how to do it?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
nypreH

---------- Post updated at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:26 PM ----------

Ok guys, I found the answer, sorry for disturbance...
May be it will be usefull for somebody:

To read the contents of a tape (if in tar format)
# tar tvf /dev/rmt/0

To write to tape
# tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 /dir/to/backup

To extract the contents of the tape
# tar xvf /dev/rmt/0

Regards,
Roman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup command that will send e-mail to mount 2nd tape

Hi, I'm trying to come out with a script that uses the 'backup' command to backup large filesystems. Most of the time this data takes two or three DLT tapes to complete. The backup takes too long because operations never sees the message to mount 2nd tape. I have a script that uses sysback and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mvilla0993
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem With Tape Backup in Solaris

Hi, OS: Solaris9, SPARC. Commands (and their outputs) that I use to backup two files of size 4GB and 10GB (respectively) are shown below: # cd /backup/daily/ # mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rew # tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0m * a Mails.bkf 4680454 tape blocks a backup.bkf too large to archive # The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahatma
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send files to remote tape drive

We have 2 UNIX machines, 1.HP-UX 11i where oracle database running on it. 2.AIX 5 with Ultrium LTO3 tape drive connected. My query is, i want to send oracle database archive files from HP machine to the tape drive which connected on AIX machine, everyday. These files should be appended. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashdbad
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send attachments using send mail in Solaris

Hi All, I have a requirement to send and email of body html with an attachment. concatinating uuencode output to the mail body with mailx command works, but as my Email body is of HTML type i use sendmail. my command to send HTML body is as below: export MAILTO="recipient@domain.com"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 2.6 restore from tape

Hope someone can help me here... I've got to restore an E450 with 300MHz cpus which was running Solaris 2.6 from tape. Regrettably the boot drive has failed. I've access to the first release of Solaris 2.6 CD's and to a set of Solaris 9 CD's. I remember that different E450 CPUs needed different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pamplemousse
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send a file in email from Solaris box to MS outlook 2010

Hi I have input file in solaris machine and my question is..,how to send email that input file to Microsoft outlook 2010 in excel /xls format. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzme
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to send file through mail from Solaris

I have Solaris-10 and some job is writing a log. My client needs this log file every two hour in his mail. Usually I send manual mail through mailx command, as sendmail is configured with relay server, but I am not sure, how to attach file in a mail and set it in cronjob. Please give me some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Add FC Tape to Solaris 10

Hello I'm pretty new in Solaris 10 and we now have to add an FC-based library to the Solaris. As far as I am informed, we have restart the Sun with the command "boot-r", to detect new devices, right? Then the library should be found automatically? How can I check if the library has been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pole23
4 Replies
AMTAPE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 AMTAPE(8)

NAME
amtape - user interface to Amanda tape changer controls SYNOPSIS
amtape config command [ command options ] DESCRIPTION
Amtape performs tape changer control operations. It uses the underlying tape changer script defined by the tpchanger option for a particu- lar Amanda configuration as specified by the config argument. Tape changers maintain a notion of the current and next slot for each configuration. These may or may not correspond to an actual physical state of the device, but do tend to minimize searching through the tape storage slots. If the desired tape is in the current slot, it is likely the next tape needed is in the next slot rather than at some random position in the storage slots. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. COMMANDS
reset Reset the tape changer to a known state. The current slot is set to the first slot. Other device-specific side effects may occur. Some gravity stackers need to be reset to the top position by hand. This command notifies Amanda the stacker is back in that posi- tion. eject If a tape is loaded in the drive, it is ejected and returned to the slot from which it was loaded. clean If a cleaning tape is defined for the changer, it is used to clean the drive. show Show the contents of all slots. This can be slow. label label Search for and load the Amanda tape with label label. taper Perform the taper scan algorithm. Load the next tape in the configuration's tape sequence, or a fresh tape with a suitable label. device Display the name of the current tape device on stdout. current Display the current slot. update Update the changer label database, if it has one, to match the tapes now available. slot slot Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from slot slot and reset current. slot current Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the current slot. slot prev Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the previous slot and reset current. slot next Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the next slot and reset current. slot first Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the first slot and reset current. slot last Eject any tape in the drive and put it away, then load the tape from the last slot and reset current. slot advance Eject any tape in the drive and put it away. Advance current to the next tape, but do not load it. This is useful with non-gravity stackers to unload the last tape used and set up Amanda for the next run. If you just use eject, the current tape will be mounted again in the next run, where it will be rejected as being still in use, ejected and the next tape requested. Using slot next followed by eject does an unnecessary mount. Note: most changers optimize the slot commands to not eject the loaded tape if it is the one being requested. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8) AMTAPE(8)