Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help with ascii to decimal conversion Post 302344389 by methyl on Sunday 16th of August 2009 10:57:11 AM
Old 08-16-2009
The correct spelling is "ascii". See "man ascii".
What software are you using to view the file which produces the character record you describe?
Recording characters as two-digit? decimal is much too weird. Can you post a definitive unix hexadecimal dump af a couple of records such that the bit pattern of the data is 100% clear.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ascii conversion

after converting my ebcidic file to ascii i get the following output 2097152+0 records in 1797345+1 records out Why is there a difference in number of records. Is the converson chopping off any records. All i am doing is just a conversion using the following script dd if=xaa cbs=152 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rintingtong
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal to Hexadecimal conversion

Hi frnds :) I need a small help... I have a very long file containing 20 digits decimal number which i want to convert into the corresponding 16 digit hexadecimal values. File looks like.... 11908486672755551741 05446378739602232559 04862605079740156652 . . . I tried the script for i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File conversion to ascii

Hi All, I have a data file which has binary and hexa decimal data..i tried to convert that file using dd and od commands but i am getting some numbers and junk values... Please let me know is there any other command which can convert this file to ascill. Awaiting your responses -Mora (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mora
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert data from ASCII to Packed Decimal

Hi All, Please let me know if it is possible to convert data from ASCII to Packed Decimal through Unix? Basically we have ASCII file with numeric data we want to convert that files data to Packed decimal format to send it to main frame. Please let me know if we can do it through unix script.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aloktiwary
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conversion from EBCDIC to ASCII

when i try to convert a mainframe EBCDIC file to ASCII ,i dont see correct file this is the source file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatvelpula
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal to hex conversion

Dear All PROs Thanks in advance need a shell for Decimal to hex conversion input file (decimal values) 65,5,48,66,133,131,118,47 65,5,48,66,133,131,83,63 . . desire output should be (Hex value)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: The_Archer
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

binary to ascii conversion

Hi, I have got a library file, created by compiling C code. The file information with "file" command, gives it a "application/x-archive" type file. I want to extract the release string of my software from this file, so that i can know which version of C files were used to create the lib. Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulmt
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting hex to ascii/decimal

I am writing a bash script to do some parsing on a log and I am running into a problem when it comes to converting only certain sections of the file from hex to ascii or hex to decimal. Data Example: The hex values after Hardware and SW Version I need to convert from Hex to ASCII and the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiftkey
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

Hi, I have a input file which is EBCIDIC and it has packed decimals. Can anyone help me to convert EBCIDIC file to ASCII(Need to convert even Packed decimal values also to normal format). Thanks swapna (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapna_1990
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

Hi, We have a mainframe file which is in EBCDIC format.We dont have direct access to mainframe ,client has provided us the mainframe file.The mainframe file is containing pact data(COMP1 ,COMP2 etc) which are unreadble.Can anyone suggest me how to convert this kind of ebcdic file to ascii... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapna_1990
11 Replies
srec_fairchild(5)						File Formats Manual						 srec_fairchild(5)

NAME
srec_fairchild - Fairchild Fairbug file format DESCRIPTION
The Fairchild Fairbug format has 8-byte records. A file begins with an address record and ends with an end-of-file record. There are three record types in this file format. Address records are of the form +--+------+ |S | nnnn | indicating the address for the following data records. +--+------+ Data records are of the form +--+------------------+---+ |X | ffffffffffffffff | c | Each data record begins with an X and always contains+8-data-bytes.--The-ff+characters are hexadecimal byte values (8 bytes). Each data byte is represented by 2 hexadecimal characters. The c character is a hex digit being the the nibble-sum of the data bytes. A 1-digit hexadecimal checksum follows the data in each data record. The checksum represents, in hexadecimal notation, the sum of the binary equiva- lents of the 16 digits in the record; the half carry from the fourth bit is ignored. The programmer ignores any character (except for address characters and the asterisk character, which terminates the data transfer) between a checksum and the start character of the next data record. This space can be used for comments. The end-of-file record has the form +--+ |* | The last record consists of an asterisk only, which indicates the end-of file. Size Multiplier In general, binary data will expand in sized by approximately 2.4 times when represented with this format. EXAMPLE
Here is an example Fairchild Fairbug file. It contains the data "Hello, World[rq] to be loaded at address 0x1000. Notice how the last record is padded with 0xFF bytes. S1000 X48656C6C6F2C2057C X6F726C64210AFFFF3 * COPYRIGHT
srec_cat version 1.58 Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Peter Miller The srec_cat program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use the 'srec_cat -VERSion License' command. This is free software and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; for details use the 'srec_cat -VERSion License' command. AUTHOR
Peter Miller E-Mail: pmiller@opensource.org.au //* WWW: http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/ Reference Manual SRecord srec_fairchild(5)