Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket problem Post 302344152 by Corona688 on Friday 14th of August 2009 05:26:12 PM
Old 08-14-2009
And like I said, lsof may tell you what's making them. It lists all open file descriptors by process, be they files, sockets, pipes, or anything. You have to run it as root.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with echo for var, padded with spaces

While concatenating 2 values, one which expanded to fixed width & other not, I am not getting value expanded as fixed width. Following is script for the same : #!/bin/sh var1="abc" var2="def" var1Fxd=`echo $var1 | awk '{printf("%-6s",$0)}'` echo $var1Fxd""$var2 But, if I try - echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating /var/run

I havn't installed solaris 10 (nor any solaris in a long time). I noticed that during the install the file system layout allowed me to create a swap partition, but there wern't enough partitions to create a /var/run (I am mirroring the disk config of another system). Is /var/run created manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store command in a Var problem

Hi! I strated to script since 1 month and I don't have much expirience but this thing here is strange I have a script where I want to store a svn command in a var to check it later so it's like this #!/bin/sh list=`ssh itadmin@192.168.1.200 "ls /home/svn"` # this stores the list of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem regarding Sed/Echo/Var Init

Greetings, I've visited this forums for a long time and normally got an right answer but this time my problem doesn't seem to go away. What I'm trying to do is the following: VAR="\n\nline1\nline2\nline3\nline4\nline5\nline6\nline7\n\n" (The count of newlines is varying!) If I echo this i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph1l
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running var (with spaces) as command

I seem to be fighting bash's shell expansions.. I set this variable: CMD="export MVAR=\"1 2 3\"" if I try to run it, it is clear the shell is parsing along the spaces of the contents of MYVAR: > $CMD + export 'MYVAR="1' 2 '3"' + MYVAR='"1' -bash: export: `2': not a valid identifier... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbw
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

/usr/sbin/crond: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid,

please tell pre-requisite steps to activate cron. i activated the cron but it not executing the script which i set in crontab entry.through root user i passed the service crond start it get start.but when i go to etc/init.d and passed crond stop command.it gets crond: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umair
2 Replies

7. Solaris

SVM Problem Regarding /var

Hi Guys! I am facing Problem with SVM I mention the problem below: I have Sunfire V210 machine and the partitions are as follows: Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 - 6134 29.77GB (6135/0/0) 62429760 1 swap wu ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sensation
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Disk problem? from /var/adm/messages

Hi all, I got the following error message from solaris 10 system. Security Violations =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Jun 1 01:48:21 unix009 scsi: ASC: 0x44 (internal target failure), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0xbc The following are from /var/adm/messages Jun 1 01:48:21 unix009 scsi: WARNING:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Modify /var/run.

Hello, I want to modify the /var/run fs from 86G to say 2G. How to go about it? Thanks. swap 64G 38K 64G 1% /var/run Regards. Edit/Delete Message (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
6 Replies

10. Ubuntu

problem with /var/mail directory

Hi, There is no "administrator" file in "/var/mail" directory........ can any one tell me what could be the reason for that?...and also how to resolve that??? Thanks, ~Kavi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavi.mogu
4 Replies
pipe(2) 							System Calls Manual							   pipe(2)

NAME
pipe() - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe and returns two file descriptors, fildes[0] and fildes[1]. fildes[0] is opened for reading and fildes[1] is opened for writing. A read-only file descriptor fildes[0] accesses the data written to fildes[1] on a first-in-first-out (FIFO) basis. For details of the I/O behavior of pipes see read(2) and write(2). By default, HP-UX pipes are not STREAMS-based. It is possible to generate the kernel so that all pipes created on a system are STREAMS- based. This can only be done for HP-UX releases 10.0 and later. STREAMS-based FIFOs (created by or are not supported on HP-UX. To generate a kernel that supports STREAMS-based pipes: o STREAMS/UX must be installed. o The module and the driver must be included in the file. (When STREAMS/UX is installed, and are automatically added to the system file.) o The tunable parameter (see streampipes(5)) must be set to 1 in the file. (This is not automatically done when STREAMS/UX is installed.) o The kernel must be generated and the system rebooted. Once this is done, all pipes created by will be STREAMS-based. For more information, see EXAMPLES
The following example uses to implement the command string RETURN VALUE
returns one of the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
sets to one of the following error values if the corresponding condition is true. or more file descriptors are currently open. The system file table is full. The file system lacks sufficient space to create the pipe. Could not allocate resources for both Stream heads (STREAMS-based pipes only). SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), popen(3S), privileges(5), streampipes(5), streamio(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
pipe(2)