"issue with PATH"

Post #302344064 by methyl on Friday 14th of August 2009 01:09:32 PM

Full Discussion: issue with PATH
Might be a dead link?

Code:
file /usr/local/bin/git
What is it? Does this command fail?

ls -la /usr/local/bin/git
(Is it a link? Does the other end of the link exist?)

ls -laL /usr/local/bin/git
(Is the link count zero)

Test Your Knowledge in Computers #93
Difficulty: Easy
The mkdir command will create a new directory even if the user does not have the required permissions to write to the parent directory of the new directory.
True or False?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

PATH issue on linux

If PATH is set to ../bin:../sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin (chunk of path string). Sometime when I try to execute ls command it says ../bin/ls not found. According to my understanding "ls" should be searched in all the path varibales that we set in the PATH varaibale. Is there any reason for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Commands From Non-Standard Path (Changing user's PATH secretely???)

Hi: I have a requirement as below: I have some standard Unix commands modified and kept them in a directory say /usr/clsh/bin. For example I have a script named "ls" kept here which is modified version of "ls" (say it always gives long listing i.e. ls -l). When any user logs on and types... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh_samane
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PLease HELP!!! PATH variable issue

Hello, I logged in to the unix solaris with my user name and then I again logged in with the sudo bash -l command now when I do echo $PATH It shows me => /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin How do i find out where is this file located for setting the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddhans
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

LaunchAgent file path issue

This is weirdly a linux question I suppose. Im having a problem with this code the file path is fine if I don't use the ~ and put in the user /Users/tempuser/.... This will be installed on more than one computer and changing the plist for every install is going to become tedious. Is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prompt path display issue

I use the following command to print the current directory above the command prompt set prompt="`exec pwd`\n$USER@`hostname -s` %B: % > " The output is something like this <current path> $USER@hostname > But when I try to CD to any other directory and press the return key, the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aelhosiny
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All, Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created. /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt /Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikgv417
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - variable to be set to windows path issue

Greetings Experts, I need to pass a parameter to ksh and the value is windows path eg: sh abc.txt C:\Users\chill3chee\Desktop No matter I try with \ delimiter, still could not get this exact value assigned to the shell variable which was checked with echo. Tried with using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate class path dynamically based on source path

Hi experts, I have multiple file names ending with .jsp located in $SOME_DIR, $SOME_DIR/f1/,$SOME_DIR/f2/test,$SOME_DIR/f3/fa and there are equivalent class files in $SOME_DIR/WEB-INF/classes/_pages,$SOME_DIR/WEB-INF/classes/_pages/_f1,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

10. AIX

issue AIX MPIO path closed

Hello, I have encountered the issue on my AIX 6.1. As you can see below, the hdisk1 & hdisk8 are not recognized by the system / > lspv hdisk0 00fa6d1288c820aa rootvg active hdisk1 00fa6d1288c8213c None hdisk2 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
9 Replies
IO
::FILE=IO(0X1A0D0D8)(1) EN Tools IO::FILE=IO(0X1A0D0D8)(1) NAME
WMk - Website META Language Make VERSION
2.0.12 (16-Apr-2008) SYNOPSIS
wmk [-a] [-A WILDMAT] [-F WILDMAT] [-x PATH] [-X PATH] [-a] [-f] [-n] [-r] [WML-options] [path ...] wmk [-V] [-h] DESCRIPTION
This is the high-level frontend to the Website META Language (WML), a free HTML generation toolkit for Unix, internally consisting of 9 independent languages. See wml(1) for more details on WML. Use this command to run wml on a bunch of .wml files either directly given on the command line as path or found via directory traversal in path. WMk recognizes WML's shebang lines (``"#!wml" options'') in the .wml files and automatically adds options to the command line of wml when invoking it for this particular file. OPTIONS
-a, --all Specifies that WMk should recursively process all .wml files it finds in path. -A, --accept=WILDMAT Accepts (=includes) all files matched by the shell wildcard pattern WILDMAT for processing. WMk always has a pre-configured ``"-A *.wml"'' option which forces it to process all WML files per default. This option is only used when path is a directory. -F, --forget=WILDMAT Forgets (=exclude) all files and directories matched by the shell wildcard pattern WILDMAT which were previously accepted by option -A. -o, --outputfile=PATH Specifies output files. When this flag is used in .wmlrc, the same flag must be put in .wmkrc to let WMk know when to rebuild these output files. -x, --exec-prolog=PATH Executes PATH in the local context of path before the WML commands are run. This options is only used when path is a directory. -X, --exec-epilog=PATH Executes PATH in the local context of path after the WML commands are run. This options is only used when path is a directory. -f, --force Forces the creation of output files. Usually WMk tries to determine if the input file was really modified and skips WML invocations if the output files are still up-to-date. -n, --nop Sets no-operation (nop) where WMk runs as usual but does not actually invoce the wml commands. Use this option to see what wmk would do. -r, --norcfile This forces WMk to ignore all .wmkrc and WML to ignore all .wmlrc files. -V, --version Gives the version identification string of WMk. Use this to determine the version of a installed WML toolkit. -h, --help Prints the usage summary page. All WML-options directly correspond to their counterparts in wml(1) because they are just forwarded by wmk except the -n and -o options which are implicitly created by wmk for each wml invocation. USER FILES
$HOME/.wmkrc and (../)*.wmkrc These files can also contain option strings, one option per line. One may use this file to exclude some directories from being searched for input files -F images -F templates ... CAVEAT
Auto-adjusted variables specfied as -DNAME~PATH on the wmk command-line will not necessarily have the same effect as a similar definition in a ./.wmlrc file. This is because, when processing sub-directories, wmk changes its working directory to each of those directories, which can influence the interpolation of such auto-adjusted variables. When specified on the command line, such variables are interpolated with respect to wml's current working directory at the time of its invocation. So, if you wish such variables to be interpolated relative to wmk's current working directory at the time of its invocation, one can work-around this issue by specifying -DNAME~PATH in a .wmlrc in that directory rather than specifying it on the wmk command-line. AUTHORS
Ralf S. Engelschall rse@engelschall.com www.engelschall.com Denis Barbier barbier@engelschall.com SEE ALSO
wml(1), wml_intro(1) EN Tools 2014-04-16 IO::FILE=IO(0X1A0D0D8)(1)

Featured Tech Videos