Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need to cut a string from a file recursively. Post 302343804 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 13th of August 2009 04:21:13 PM
Old 08-13-2009
Code:
awk '{ print $NR }' filename >  requests.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace all occurances of a string in all file-/foldernames, recursively

I need a script that will replace all occurances of a string in all filenames and foldernames, recursively. Right now I have this script: for f in `find -name *eye*`; do echo processing $f g=`expr "xxx$f" : 'xxx\(.*\)' | tr 'eye' 'm'` mv "$f" "$g" done The problem is that tr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheMJ
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a search string recursively in files

Hi , I have a directory structure as dir and subdirectories and files under it and so on.now I need to find the files which contain the search string under every dir and subdir and replace . my search string is like searchstring=/a/b string to be replaced=/a/c/b please help. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Serach a string for multiple occurrences in a file and cut related texts

Hi, I want a help in this forum for my below issue. 1. I have a file where I'm searching for a text . 2. When I get the line where the above string is present I want to cut some texts from the line where the particular string was found. These above two steps will repeat in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaski2012
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursively search the string from a column in no. of files

i have a file named keyword.csv(contains around 8k records) which contains a no. of columns. The 5th column contains all the keywords. I want to recursively search these keywords in all .pl files(around 1k) and display the filename....Afterthat i will use the filename and some of the column from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut, replace and Paste a String from one file to another

I need to cut all the Strings in one file and Paste it in the another file in the Specific line by replacing the specific String. For Example Step 1: From the newfile.txt, i need to copy all the strings newfile.txt How are you, I am fine, How is your work newfle2.txt Hello david,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padmanabhan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the string

Hi in a directory i've files having the following name for_category_info_19990101984301 for_catgry_meta_19991111214601 ------- I just want the name till year and month i.e; for_category_info_199901 for_catgry_meta_199911 How can i achieve the above string Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and replace a string with spaces and / recursively?

Hi all, I wanted to find and replace an email id from entire directory structure on a Linux server. I found that find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/abc@yahoo.com/xyz@gmail.com/g' would do it perfectly. But my search criteria has extended and now I want to search for a string1 like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status

Hi All, I hope somebody would be able to help me. I would need to search a string coming from a file, example file.txt: dog cat goat horse fish For every string, I would need to know if there are any files inside a directory(recursively) that contains the string regardless of case.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
9 Replies
XStoreBytes(3X11)						     MIT X11R4							 XStoreBytes(3X11)

Name
       XStoreBytes, XStoreBuffer, XFetchBytes, XFetchBuffer, XRotateBuffers - manipulate cut and paste buffers

Syntax
       XStoreBytes(display, bytes, nbytes)
	  Display *display;
	  char *bytes;
	  int nbytes;

XStoreBuffer(display, bytes, nbytes, buffer)
	  Display *display;
	  char *bytes;
	  int nbytes;
	  int buffer;

char *XFetchBytes(display, nbytes_return)
	  Display *display;
	  int *nbytes_return;

char *XFetchBuffer(display, nbytes_return, buffer)
	  Display *display;
	  int *nbytes_return;
	  int buffer;

XRotateBuffers(display, rotate)
	  Display *display;
	  int rotate;

Arguments
       buffer	 Specifies the buffer in which you want to store the bytes or from which you want the stored data returned.

bytes	 Specifies the bytes, which are not necessarily ASCII or null-terminated.

display	 Specifies the connection to the X server.

nbytes	 Specifies the number of bytes to be stored.

nbytes_return
		 Returns the number of bytes in the buffer.

rotate	 Specifies how much to rotate the cut buffers.

Description
       Note that the cut buffer's contents need not be text, so zero bytes are not special.  The cut buffer's contents can be retrieved later by
       any client calling

can generate a error.

If the property for the buffer has never been created, a error results.

can generate and errors.

The function returns the number of bytes in the nbytes_return argument, if the buffer contains data.  Otherwise, the function returns NULL
       and sets nbytes to 0.  The appropriate amount of storage is allocated and the pointer returned.	The client must free this storage when
       finished with it by calling Note that the cut buffer does not necessarily contain text, so it may contain embedded zero bytes and may not
       terminate with a null byte.

The function returns zero to the nbytes_return argument if there is no data in the buffer.

can generate a error.

The function rotates the cut buffers, such that buffer 0 becomes buffer n, buffer 1 becomes n + 1 mod 8, and so on.  This cut buffer num-
       bering is global to the display.  Note that generates errors if any of the eight buffers have not been created.

can generate a error.

Diagnostics
       The server failed to allocate the requested resource or server memory.

A value for an Atom argument does not name a defined Atom.

Some argument or pair of arguments has the correct type and range but fails
		 to match in some other way required by the request.

Some numeric value falls outside the range of values accepted by the request.
		 Unless a specific range is specified for an argument, the full range defined by the argument's type is accepted. Any argument
		 defined as a set of alternatives can generate this error.

See Also
       XFree(3X11)
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

XStoreBytes(3X11)