Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Counting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting Post 302343417 by dr.house on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 12:00:50 PM
Old 08-12-2009
Ad hoc:

Code:
cat input.file | grep 'NM' | wc -l

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with counting files please

Hi all. If I have a unix directory with multiple files, lets say, I have some with .dat extensions, some with .txt extensions, etc etc. How in a script would I provide a count of all the different file types (so, the different extensions, I guess) in the directory?? So if I had: test.dat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerard1
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

counting the packets

there are a number of clients connected to a server.... how can i count that each clients recieve ...? how do i moniter the activity of the client..? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damn_bkb
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting up a variable

Hello, I am trying to write a shell script, but i encountered a problem I cant solve alone so I hope you guys can help me. The situation is: I have a script file and a config file, in my config file I set some Variables: for example: destination=(xp, xq, xt) username=testor... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kenada
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting words

if i have a long list of data, with every line beginning with an ip-address, like this: 62.165.8.187 - - "GET /bestandnaam.html HTTP/1.1" 200 5848 "http://www.domeinnaam.nl/bestandnaam.html" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)" how do i count which ip-adresses are mentioned... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FOBoy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting words

Hi Is there a way to count the no. of words in all files in directory. All are text files.I use wc -w but somehow i am not getting the rite answer. Is there an alternative. Thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting

Hi, The following output shows how many pmon process are started by users named : oracle or yoavb $ ps -ef |grep pmon |grep -v grep |grep -v ipmon oracle 11268 1 0 Sep 2 ? 36:00 ora_pmon_qerp oracle 17496 1 0 Oct 11 ? 8:58 ora_pmon_bcv oracle 15081 1 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting using awk

Hi, I want to perform a task using shell script. I am new to awk programming and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the following 3 files (for example) file1: Name count Symbol chr1_1_50 10 XXXX chr3_101_150 30 YYYY File2: Name ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting?

Hi all, I promise this is my very last dumb question.. but how to you count how many unique names you have. My dataset is: >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac4 egege >Bac8 dgrjh >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac8 dgrjh What i want to know is that how many unique names there is, so the output would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iifa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequential counting

Hi have a file of the following format a1 a1 a2 a2 a4 a4 a4 a3 a3 a5 a6 a6 a6 a6 .. 100's of lines (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies
MOVE(7) 						  PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation						   MOVE(7)

NAME
MOVE - position a cursor SYNOPSIS
MOVE [ direction [ FROM | IN ] ] cursor_name where direction can be empty or one of: NEXT PRIOR FIRST LAST ABSOLUTE count RELATIVE count count ALL FORWARD FORWARD count FORWARD ALL BACKWARD BACKWARD count BACKWARD ALL DESCRIPTION
MOVE repositions a cursor without retrieving any data. MOVE works exactly like the FETCH command, except it only positions the cursor and does not return rows. The parameters for the MOVE command are identical to those of the FETCH command; refer to FETCH(7) for details on syntax and usage. OUTPUTS
On successful completion, a MOVE command returns a command tag of the form MOVE count The count is the number of rows that a FETCH command with the same parameters would have returned (possibly zero). EXAMPLES
BEGIN WORK; DECLARE liahona CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM films; -- Skip the first 5 rows: MOVE FORWARD 5 IN liahona; MOVE 5 -- Fetch the 6th row from the cursor liahona: FETCH 1 FROM liahona; code | title | did | date_prod | kind | len -------+--------+-----+------------+--------+------- P_303 | 48 Hrs | 103 | 1982-10-22 | Action | 01:37 (1 row) -- Close the cursor liahona and end the transaction: CLOSE liahona; COMMIT WORK; COMPATIBILITY
There is no MOVE statement in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
CLOSE(7), DECLARE(7), FETCH(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 MOVE(7)