Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Could anyone help explain this? Post 302343403 by Squall Moogle on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 10:43:47 AM
Old 08-12-2009
Thanks for the replies Smilie.

I have been scouring Google for answers, found a few gems but also found it hard to understand quite a bit of it. As I said it's not really my area, I'd have rather swapped it for a media based module etc etc.

Thanks for being sketchy too, your hints have given me food for thought.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain this

zsh 4.3.4% cat file ACFCFACCACARCSHFARCVJVASTVAJFTVAJVGHBAJ zsh 4.3.4% cat file1 A C F R zsh 4.3.4% <file1 while read;do printf "%s=%d\n" "$REPLY" "${#$(<file)//}";done A=9 C=7 F=4 R=2 That was the previous post. But , can anybody can explain me in detail about this line zsh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_needhelp
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please can any one explain this ${0##/}

I did not understand what is ${0##/} PGM=${0##/} TMP=/tmp/${PGM}.$$ Please explain me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gadege
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain the below

could u please convert the below statement to shell script ---------- logdir=/smp/dyn/logfiles/cpm/pgm/pgIm $logdir = $logdir ."/pgIm${toDate}*"; ---- could u please explain the below clearly grep -i adding $logdir | grep -iv equation | awk '{print \$NF}' | sort -u | sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. AIX

can anyone explain this?

this is the mksys b script.... can anyone explain .. what # and 1 in if condition this is the first line of the script... it is not from middle of the script.... if then echo "Not enough parameters, need a client name for mksysb" Usage="Usage: $0 <client name>" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honeym210
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please explain this

if then echo "Syntax: $0 <sid> <COLD/HOT> <DEST>" exit fi if --------------what does this mean??? echo "Syntax: $0 <sid> <COLD/HOT> <DEST>"---pls explain this as well (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: appsdba.nitin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can any one explain this example

hi all i have an example i want one help me to understand cause i tried to test it but almost fail and i don't know how can i solve this problem " the main idea to read from two files and replace something from one to another " but i don't understand why it fail all time $ cat main.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain $# please

I'm trying to follow a script and I see it begins with this: if ; then if ; then print "blah $0 blah blah " exit fi fi What does $# mean? I found out that $1 refers to the shell environment and the last argument that was entered or passed in the previous command. I couldn't find $#... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

anyone can explain this?

why the case 2 will happen ? , ' should stop the history substitution ,shouldn't it? case 1 # echo "123"|sed '/123/!d' 123 case 2 # echo "123 > 456 > 1 > "|sed '/123/!d' -bash: !d': event not found case 3 # echo "123 > 456 > 12 > "|sed '/123/'\!d 123 # bash --version (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justlooks
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone explain this for me?

Can someone do me a favour and explain the following for me: ((r=$RANDOM%$n+1)) I know what $RANDOM does but what is % sign and what does it do with %$n+1? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How I can explain this?

Hi friends! I'm learning UNIX and I have a small question. Working with Shell, i put the name of one executable (in c language) + one number and it says this: $ gcc misterioso_4.c $ ./misterioso_4 6 got: , I can not find an answer in the manual because I havent applied any variable.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakota
5 Replies
networks(4)							   File Formats 						       networks(4)

NAME
networks - network name database SYNOPSIS
/etc/inet/networks /etc/networks DESCRIPTION
The networks file is a local source of information regarding the networks which comprise the Internet. The networks file can be used in conjunction with, or instead of, other networks sources, including the NIS maps networks.byname and networks.byaddr and the NIS+ table networks. Programs use the getnetbyname(3SOCKET) routines to access this information. The network file has a single line for each network, with the following information: official-network-name network-number aliases Items are separated by any number of SPACE or TAB characters. A `#' indicates the beginning of a comment. Characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines which search the file. This file is normally created from the official network database maintained at the Network Information Control Center (NIC), though local changes may be required to bring it up to date regarding unofficial aliases and/or unknown networks. Network numbers may be specified in the conventional dot (`.') notation using the inet_network routine from the Internet address manipula- tion library, inet(7P). Network names may contain any printable character other than a field delimiter, NEWLINE, or comment character. SEE ALSO
getnetbyaddr(3SOCKET), getnetbyname(3SOCKET), inet(3SOCKET), nsswitch.conf(4), inet(7P) NOTES
The official SVR4 name of the networks file is /etc/inet/networks. The symbolic link /etc/networks exists for BSD compatibility. The network number in networks database is the host address shifted to the right by the number of 0 bits in the address mask. For example, for the address 24.132.47.86 that has a mask of fffffe00, its network number is 803351. This is obtained when the address is shifted right by 9 bits. The address maps to 12.66.23. The trailing 0 bits should not be specified. The network number here is different from that described in netmasks(4). For this example, the entry in netmasks would be 24.132.46.0 fffffe00. SunOS 5.11 17 Jan 2002 networks(4)