Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Important Service Linux
Operating Systems Linux Important Service Linux Post 302343260 by quan0509 on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 04:30:31 AM
Old 08-12-2009
Important Service Linux

Hi there;

I need to know all the things about services which help my Linux OS running.

So what're important services of LINUX OS ?

Anyone can help me...

Tks all ?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Writing a service in Linux

Hi All: I want to write a program that runs like a service(in the background) and should start up when the system boots. It should always be running, no matter who has logged in, no matter if anybody has logged in et all. Is there any online help i could get on this topic, appreciate the help... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: preetham
4 Replies

2. Programming

Linux Service

Hi, I want to write a service like windows service for my rhel4u5 server.And this service every day at 4:00 am connect a ftp server and download file then parse information at txt file then insert or update info at my database server(oracle).and this service can be stopped or paused by user.And... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ariyurek
1 Replies

3. Linux

Configure SMTP service in linux 5.2

Hi All, How to configure SMTP service in linux 5.2? Please provide me the steps. Thanks Jack (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

how to install ssh service in linux

hello,I am new in linux and want to know how to install ssh service in my computer so that others can connect to it,thank you! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: hwk07
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux (Ubuntu) = Unix (NOT IMPORTANT - NO RUSH)

I'm learning off Linux (Ubuntu) right now. I want to move up to Unix, but I don't want to rush like I did when it came to Windows --> to Linux. What is the best Unix OS that fits in pretty well with Ubuntu. In other words is there kind of an equal Linux with Unix? Also what do I need to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux_Guy
10 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Linux Hosting Service Recommendation

We've been using Linode for our virtual Linux hosting services for two years now and could not be more impressed. One of our Linode nodes is located in Cedar Knolls, New Jersey which was close to the path of Hurricane Sandy. The data center teams were on top of things from the beginning... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

7. Linux

How to check a particular service is running on Linux?

We are using TeamSite application. Its a content management system application. How can I check if TeamSite service is running or not using ksh onn Linux platform ? On Windows its easy, I can do services.msc and entire list will come up. How to check it in Linux ? I tried using 'ps -ef', it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
4 Replies

8. Linux

How to configure FTPS service on Linux 7.2?

Hey Guys, I need to know , how to configure the FTPS service on Linux 7.2 OS. Please advise. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil1000
0 Replies
SERVICES_MKDB(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  SERVICES_MKDB(8)

NAME
services_mkdb -- generate the services databases SYNOPSIS
services_mkdb [-qv] [-o database] [-V style] [file] services_mkdb -u [file] DESCRIPTION
services_mkdb creates a db(3) database for the specified file. If no file is specified, then /etc/services is used. The database is installed into /var/db/services.cdb for CDB format and into /var/db/services.db for DB format (see -V). The file must be in the correct for- mat (see services(5)). The options are as follows: -o database Put the output databases in the named file. -q Don't warn about duplicate services. This is the default behavior. -u Print the services file to stdout, omitting duplicate entries and comments. -V Create a specific version of the database style. style can be cdb to request the CDB format (default) or db to request the DB for- mat. The DB format is useful for compatibility with old statically linked binaries. -v Warn about duplicate services. The databases are used by the C library services routines (see getservent(3)). services_mkdb exits zero on success, non-zero on failure. FILES
/var/db/services.db The current services database. /var/db/services.db.tmp A temporary file. /etc/services The current services file. SEE ALSO
db(3), getservent(3), services(5) BUGS
Because services_mkdb guarantees not to install a partial destination file it must build a temporary file in the same file system and if suc- cessful use rename(2) to install over the destination file. If services_mkdb fails it will leave the previous version of the destination file intact. BSD
May 5, 2010 BSD