Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers naming files that csplit creates Post 302343112 by juliette salexa on Tuesday 11th of August 2009 03:29:16 PM
Old 08-11-2009
Thank you very much Smiling Dragon for your response.

How do I apply that command ??

I just apply it like any command in UNIX ?? (like for example 'mkdir name' ) ??

I tried that exact command and got:
"mv: cannot stat `ad|*': No such file or directory Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split files using Csplit

I have an excel file with more than 65K records... Since excel does not take more than 65K records i wan to split the file and send it as two excel files... Could some help me how to use the csplit by specifiying the no of records (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: savitha
7 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

gVim creates and leaves strange tilde ~ files in Windows

Hey folks, I have used gVim in Windows for many years but I have never found an answer to a very simple question I am going to ask you guys... My question is if there is a way to eliminate the creation of those ~ files that gVim creates in Windows. If you have ever used gVim in Windows you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghbarratt
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO 5.0.7 Cron creates files with 600, need 644

Hi, I've searched and read, and searched and read some more; but I'm still not connecting the dots or understanding what I need to change. I have a script that creates a file. If I run it as root, the file gets created with 644 permissions like I want. That seems to make sense (at least I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 65bit
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex overlap and naming of 2 input files - Awk

for every specific $1,$2 check the values ($2,$3) of their E ot I of input1 and overlap with input2. Specify names based on output. ####### if middle value is missing name them "SE" if first value is missing name them "AFE" if last value is missing name them "ALE" if 2 middle values are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ruby_sgp
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files to one file with naming convention

Hi , i have below files in wrk folder. file names are 1102090001.CLT 1102090003.CLT 1102100019.CLT 1102100020.CLT the above files are concatenate to one file but that concatenate file name must be same naming convention. (date +%y%m%d)and 0001 count. example : concatenate file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krbala1985
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

naming files in awk

I have a whole directory and I need each lines of each file to be separated to a new file but I am facing problem naming them :( some of the files even might be empty the output files should be names original file name + the number of the line or any incremental number FILES="data/*" for X in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
12 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Combining files with specific patterns of naming in a directory

Greetings Unix exports, I am facing some problems in combining files with different name patterns with a directory and I would appreciate if you can help me I have more than 1000 files but they follow a specific pattern of naming. e.g. 64Xtest01.txt They are divided into two sets of test and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Allow user without dir write permission to execute a script that creates files

In our project we have several unix scripts that trigger different processes. These scripts write logs to a particular folder 'sesslogs', create output data files in a separate directory called 'datafiles' etc. Usually L1 support team re-run these scripts . We donot want L1 support team to have... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenation of files with same naming patterns dynamically

Since my last threads were closed on account of spamming, keeping just this one opened! Hi, I have the following reports that get generated every 1 hour and this is my requirement: 1. 5 reports get generated every hour with the names "Report.Dddmmyy.Thhmiss.CTLR"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert creates multiple files

I want to crop an image and am using convert convert mountain.png -crop 3000x4500 +repage -format png mountain--cr.png The problem is that convert is creating 4 files mountain--cr-0.png mountain--cr-1.png mountain--cr-2.png mountain--cr-3.png The first is what I need, the other... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kangol
10 Replies
CSPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 CSPLIT(1)

NAME
csplit -- split files based on context SYNOPSIS
csplit [-ks] [-f prefix] [-n number] file args ... DESCRIPTION
The csplit utility splits file into pieces using the patterns args. If file is a dash ('-'), csplit reads from standard input. The options are as follows: -f prefix Give created files names beginning with prefix. The default is ``xx''. -k Do not remove output files if an error occurs or a HUP, INT or TERM signal is received. -n number Use number of decimal digits after the prefix to form the file name. The default is 2. -s Do not write the size of each output file to standard output as it is created. The args operands may be a combination of the following patterns: /regexp/[[+|-]offset] Create a file containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the next line matching the given basic regular expression. An optional offset from the line that matched may be specified. %regexp%[[+|-]offset] Same as above but a file is not created for the output. line_no Create containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the specified line number. {num} Repeat the previous pattern the specified number of times. If it follows a line number pattern, a new file will be created for each line_no lines, num times. The first line of the file is line number 1 for historic reasons. After all the patterns have been processed, the remaining input data (if there is any) will be written to a new file. Requesting to split at a line before the current line number or past the end of the file will result in an error. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of csplit as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The csplit utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Split the mdoc(7) file foo.1 into one file for each section (up to 20): csplit -k foo.1 '%^.Sh%' '/^.Sh/' '{20}' Split standard input after the first 99 lines and every 100 lines thereafter: csplit -k - 100 '{19}' SEE ALSO
sed(1), split(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The csplit utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A csplit command appeared in PWB UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
January 26, 2005 BSD