Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Segmentation fault on basic linux commands Post 302342918 by pludi on Tuesday 11th of August 2009 04:37:07 AM
Old 08-11-2009
Is it just me or are these permissions way off? Why is the user 'user' the owner of the /bin directory?

I'd suggest doing a md5sum and sha1sum against the /bin directory on a known clean machine and compare the values against what you have here (ideally from a rescue disk/recovery CD)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

hello all, I tried a program on an array to intialise array elements from the standard input device.it is an integer array of 5 elements.but after entering the 4th element it throws a message called "Segmentation Fault" and returns to the command prompt without asking for the 5th element. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

Hi, While comparing primary key data of two tables thr bteq script I am getting this Error. This script is a shell script. *** Error: The following error was encountered on the output file. Script.sh: 3043492 Segmentation fault(coredump) Please let me know how to get through it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
5 Replies

3. Programming

Segmentation fault.

I'm getting a segmentation fault. I'm new to Linux programming. Thanks so much for all of your input.:eek: #include </usr/include/mysql++/mysql++.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <sstream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int outputToImport(const char*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation fault

#include<stdio.h> #include<malloc.h> #include<unistd.h> #include<stdlib.h> void *start_1(void *argv) { printf("thread 0x%x\n",(unsigned int)pthread_self()); pthread_exit((void*)1); } void *start_2(void *argv) { printf("thread 0x%x\n",(unsigned int)pthread_self()); return (void*)2; }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincent__tse
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Segmentation fault in Unix shell (linux OS)

Hi, I am trying to run an online downloaded tool but I am having an eror segmentation fault. ./multicoil test.seq Config file /home/kmohanas/MULTICOIL/multicoil_config window length 0 = 28 window length 1 = 28 multi_lib = 3 4 5 multi_lib = 2 3 4 pair_lib = 1 2 4 printfile =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaav06
6 Replies

6. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

7. Debian

Linux, Debian - Segmentation Fault problem.

Hi guys, first of all apologize for my English... I have a big problem with "Segmentation fault", when running my game server. Console: (gdb) bt full #0 0x0000000000000000 in ?? () No symbol table info available. #1 0x00007ffff702aca4 in std::basic_ostream<char,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arson.
1 Replies

8. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
RESCUE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 RESCUE(8)

NAME
rescue -- rescue utilities in /rescue DESCRIPTION
The /rescue directory contains a collection of common utilities intended for use in recovering a badly damaged system. With the transition to a dynamically-linked root beginning with NetBSD 2.0, there is a real possibility that the standard tools in /bin and /sbin may become non- functional due to a failed upgrade or a disk error. The tools in /rescue are statically linked and should therefore be more resistant to damage. However, being statically linked, the tools in /rescue are also less functional than the standard utilities. In particular, they do not have full use of the locale, pam(3), and nsswitch libraries. If your system fails to boot, and it shows an error message similar to: init: not found try booting the system with the boot flag ``-a'' and supplying /rescue/init, which is the rescue init(8), as the init path. If your system fails to boot, and it shows a prompt similar to: Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: the first thing to try running is the standard shell, /bin/sh. If that fails, try running /rescue/sh, which is the rescue shell. To repair the system, the root partition must first be remounted read-write. This can be done with the following mount(8) command: /rescue/mount -uw / The next step is to double-check the contents of /bin, /lib, /libexec, and /sbin, possibly mounting a NetBSD installation CD-ROM and copying files from there. Once it is possible to successfully run /bin/sh, /bin/ls, and other standard utilities, try rebooting back into the stan- dard system. The /rescue tools are compiled using crunchgen(1), which makes them considerably more compact than the standard utilities. FILES
/rescue Root of the rescue hierarchy. SEE ALSO
crunchgen(1) HISTORY
The rescue utilities first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. AUTHORS
The rescue system was written by Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Simon L. Nielsen <simon@FreeBSD.org>, based on text by Tim Kientzle <kientzle@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Most of the rescue tools work even in a fairly crippled system. The most egregious exception is the rescue version of vi(1), which currently requires that /usr be mounted so that it can access the termcap(5) files. Hopefully, a failsafe termcap(3) entry will eventually be added into the curses(3) library, so that /rescue/vi can be used even in a system where /usr cannot immediately be mounted. In the meantime, the rescue version of the ed(1) editor can be used from /rescue/ed if you need to edit files, but cannot mount /usr. BSD
January 20, 2009 BSD