Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ascii code
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ascii code Post 302342776 by methyl on Monday 10th of August 2009 05:50:01 PM
Old 08-10-2009
Unix:
To see the unusual characters in a file in octal (the less unusual characters come out as \x. e.g. Tab is "\t").

Code:
sed -n l filename

Once you know the octal representation you can get the character into an environment variable with unix echo. My echo doesn't have the "-n" switch (no newline).

e.g. For the simple case of a tab character:

Code:
TAB=`echo "\0011\c"`

We can then use ${TAB} in a sed.

The common characters are listed in unix "man ascii". In your case the character is probably a higher value than those in "man ascii" but this "man" page is a good reference for converting between number bases (octal, decimal, hexadecimal).

Now for M$ Windows:
Once you have the octal value of the character you can convert to decimal (mathematics).

Say if you need to generate the unusual character in Windows Notepad:
Ensure that numlock is on.
Press and hold ALT then type the decimal version of the character on the numeric keyboard.
For example, the Euro Sign (€) is ALT+0128 .

Last edited by methyl; 08-10-2009 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Various typos and missing tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ascii for EOF ???

Could someone please post the ascii code for End Of File Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: strpeski
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ascii

a silly question but is there a way to display individual ascii values say if i type 65 it will display the letter instead? thanks fo any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melkor
3 Replies

3. Linux

source code ASCII to HEx

Is there are any source code in ANSI C to convert ASCII to Hexa decimal. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thippeswamy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

code ASCII for Caracter -->> '

I'm a question: the expresiion 'expr $a +1' use the caracter --> ' (is not shift+ ? !!!) what is the code ascii for generate this caracter ?????? tank's (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Conversion from ASCII to binary for physical simulation code in C/C++

Good evening, everybody A good math friend told me that it would be possible to shrink the size of the numerical datas I produce with a physical simulation code I programmed for my PhD. It usually writes at least 100 GB to complete the simulation, and it seems that it is too high. There are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cybertib
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort -t option causing code to fail need ASCII character

Hello, When I run this UNIX code without the -t option it gives me the desired results. The code keeps the record with the greatest datetime based on the key columns. I sort it first then sort it again with the -u option, that's it. I need to have a variable to specify an ASCII character... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - binary data to ascii code

Hello, With bash-script (ubunto server) I'm trying to read a binary file and, for each character, give back its ascii code (including extended ascii). For example: HEX => ASCII => PRINT f5 => 245 => õ 50 => 80 => P To load the binary file into a variable I tried in this way: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: math4
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating data delimited by ASCII code 1

<Any suggestion how to create a file where the values are separated by ASCII code 1,with data extracted from a table using shell script The format is :/> <columnname1(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname2(binary1)columnvalue(binary1)columnname3(binary1)columnvalue... 1st row/>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dasun
6 Replies
OD(1)							      General Commands Manual							     OD(1)

NAME
od - octal, decimal, hex, ascii dump SYNOPSIS
od [ -format ] [ file ] [ [+]offset[.][b] [label] ] DESCRIPTION
Od displays file, or it's standard input, in one or more dump formats as selected by the first argument. If the first argument is missing, -o is the default. Dumping continues until end-of-file. The meanings of the format argument characters are: a Interpret bytes as characters and display them with their ACSII names. If the p character is given also, then bytes with even parity are underlined. The P character causes bytes with odd parity to be underlined. Otherwise the parity bit is ignored. b Interpret bytes as unsigned octal. c Interpret bytes as ASCII characters. Certain non-graphic characters appear as C escapes: null=, backspace=, formfeed=f, new- line= , return= , tab= ; others appear as 3-digit octal numbers. Bytes with the parity bit set are displayed in octal. d Interpret (short) words as unsigned decimal. f Interpret long words as floating point. h Interpret (short) words as unsigned hexadecimal. i Interpret (short) words as signed decimal. l Interpret long words as signed decimal. o Interpret (short) words as unsigned octal. s[n] Look for strings of ascii graphic characters, terminated with a null byte. N specifies the minimum length string to be recognized. By default, the minimum length is 3 characters. v Show all data. By default, display lines that are identical to the last line shown are not output, but are indicated with an ``*'' in column 1. w[n] Specifies the number of input bytes to be interpreted and displayed on each output line. If w is not specified, 16 bytes are read for each display line. If n is not specified, it defaults to 32. x Interpret (short) words as hexadecimal. An upper case format character implies the long or double precision form of the object. The offset argument specifies the byte offset into the file where dumping is to commence. By default this argument is interpreted in octal. A different radix can be specified; If ``.'' is appended to the argument, then offset is interpreted in decimal. If offset begins with ``x'' or ``0x'', it is interpreted in hexadecimal. If ``b'' (``B'') is appended, the offset is interpreted as a block count, where a block is 512 (1024) bytes. If the file argument is omitted, an offset argument must be preceded by ``+''. The radix of the displayed address will be the same as the radix of the offset, if specified; otherwise it will be octal. Label will be interpreted as a pseudo-address for the first byte displayed. It will be shown in ``()'' following the file offset. It is intended to be used with core images to indicate the real memory address. The syntax for label is identical to that for offset. SEE ALSO
adb(1) BUGS
A file name argument can't start with ``+''. A hexadecimal offset can't be a block count. Only one file name argument can be given. It is an historical botch to require specification of object, radix, and sign representation in a single character argument. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 OD(1)