Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Erasing backup tapes (DLT)
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Erasing backup tapes (DLT) Post 302342515 by son_t on Monday 10th of August 2009 04:57:16 AM
Old 08-10-2009
Thanks for the replies. Solaris programs/scripts would be helpful... We use Solstice Backup (Legato) here - anyone know if this has an 'erase' facility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choogendyk
hmm. Getting rid of?

Do you feel compelled to keep the tapes usable for someone else? And just how private is the data on them?
No. They are DLTs - so 40/80Mb on each tape is no use nowadays... we have LTO4 now, so these are pretty useless... The data on these DTLs are very sensitive, so need to be erase securely. (There might be a legal requirement to do so too, so giving the tapes away for other uses might not be possible. Erasing and recycling would be the only choice.)

I'm surprised this sort of question has not come up before - or has it? (Am I posting in the wrong section?!) I've tried one of these video/audio tape eraser device (with an adequate gauss/coercivity value) on a DLT tape, but I can still read off the index table - although not the contents...

Last edited by son_t; 08-10-2009 at 07:21 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erasing old files

Hi, I need to delete all the files before yesterday on a single directoy. Do you help me? TKS. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lsquillacioti
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DLT 4000 drivers?

I am using a Quantum DLT 4000 tape drive on a PowerMac G4 with OS 10.1.5 I'd like to use the Terminal application, which is based on BSD 4.4, to see the tape drive and write backup tapes to it. First, is there a way to list all the devices attached to the computer? And secondly, is there a way... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekc132002
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check a DLT connexion?

HI, I'm using a solaris 6. I have allready changed the drive once, everything is ok unitl I mount a tape IN, after that I can't do nothing... the mt command give me every time the same result "device bussy..." I lost the DLT control, how can I check what is wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xylos
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

erasing portion of line with sed

hi, I'm trying to use sed to erase everything, and including the ending parenthesis. For example: input: blah blah blah (12355)this is what i want. output: this is what i want. how would i do this? i found an example online that does the opposite: sed \"s|test.*||g\" file1 > file2"; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammaman
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backspace erasing the prompt

My AIX has Korn Shell. I had set the prompt by providing assigning to PS1. If on the prompt I use backspace it erase the whatever appeared due to PS1. Can someone tell me how to forbid this erasing of prompt string, with this behaviour? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

6. SCO

New backup tapes do not work

We are using Lone-tar to back up an old SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2. It was working fine until I inserted new data cartridges. I bought the exact same ones that I was using: HP DDS-1 Data Cartridge Compressed Capacity: 4GB Order number- C5706A If I insert a new tape and backup (done by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariepul
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Tapes Health checks

Hi all gurus Is there any command to perform the tapes health checks? thanks in adv jiajin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lijiajin
1 Replies

9. Solaris

HELP ME! Mounting tapes parallel backup SL500 on solaris 10

Dear Experts, I would like to perform parallel backup using SL500, but i have problem with mounting tape. Please share your thought/experience how to mounting tape on SL500 with parallel backup (2 tapes). Thanks in Advance. Edy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Unable to detect HP backup tapes in RHEL 6.2

Hi All, We connected 2 new tape drives to the servers. I am not able to see both HP tape drives in OS level. I am using RHEL 6.2 OS. I have scanned and rebooted the server but still can't able to find the drives. Thanks in advance..!!!! ---------- Post updated 10-22-13 at 05:07 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
1 Replies
AMLABEL(8)						      System Manager's Manual							AMLABEL(8)

NAME
amlabel - label an Amanda tape SYNOPSIS
amlabel [-f] config label [ slot slot ] DESCRIPTION
All Amanda tapes must be pre-labeled before they are used. Amanda verifies the label in amdump and amflush before writing to make sure the proper tape is loaded. Amlabel writes an Amanda label on the tape in the device specified by the amanda.conf file in /etc/amanda/config. Label may be any string that does not contain whitespace and that matches the amanda.conf labelstr regular expression option. It is up to the system administrator to define a naming convention. Amlabel appends the new tape to the tapelist file so it will be used by Amanda before it reuses any other tapes. When you amlabel multiple tapes, they will be used in the order you amlabel them. Amlabel will not write the label if the tape contains an active Amanda tape or if the label specified is on an active tape. The -f (force) flag bypasses these verifications. An optional slot may be specified after the tape label. If a tape changer is in use, amlabel will label the tape in the specified slot instead of the currently loaded tape. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. EXAMPLE
Write an Amanda label with the string "DMP000" on the tape loaded in the device named in the tapedev option in /etc/amanda/Daily- Set1/amanda.conf: % amlabel DailySet1 DMP000 Label the tape in slot 3 of the currently configured tape changer with the string "DMP003": % amlabel DailySet1 DMP003 slot 3 MESSAGES
label label doesn't match labelstr "str" Label label on the command line does not match the labelstr regular expression str from amanda.conf. label label already on a tape Label label is already listed as an active Amanda tape. no tpchanger specified in "path", so slot command invalid The command line has the slot parameter but the amanda.conf file in path does not have a tape changer configured. reading label label, tape is in another amanda configuration This tape appears to be a valid Amanda tape, but label does not match labelstr for this configuration so it is probably part of a different Amanda configuration. reading label label, tape is active Tape label appears to already be part of this Amanda configuration and active, i.e. has valid data on it. no label found, are you sure tape is non-rewinding? While checking that the label was written correctly, amlabel got an error that might be caused by mis-configuring Amanda with a rewinding tape device name instead of a non-rewinding device name for tape. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8) amdump(8) amflush(8) AMLABEL(8)