Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loop assistance, getting array of random numbers and feeding to a command, how-to? Post 302341879 by boolean2222 on Thursday 6th of August 2009 10:04:12 PM
Old 08-06-2009
Thank you thank you thank you!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random numbers without repetition

Is anyone know some scripts to generate random number without repetition using bash; for example generate 10 different random numbers. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asal_email
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Numbers - Perl

Hi Guys I have a script to find Ranomd numbers. But I want to make the file to produce more random. Could u guys help me plz. In this Script I have the code that generates random in for loop and the range I have specified in my %chromlength input and out put will be like this chrno start end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

4. Solaris

feeding filenames to find command

Hi, I am having set of files whose names are stored in a file say "filelist.txt" Now, I want to find all files contained in "filelist.txt" from my parent directory. Is there any way to let find command understand "filelist.txt" just like we have option -f in awk. I donot want to run a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
4 Replies

5. Programming

generate array of random numbers

hi guys, I am writing a c program that generates a two dimensional array to make matrix and a vector of random numbers and perform multiplication. I can't figure out whats wrong with my code. It generates a matrix of random numbers but all the numbers in the vector array is same and so is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saboture88
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A way to store 2 random numbers from a for loop?

I have a for loop that cycles twice and generates 1 random number for each pass through. I would like to be able to store the two numbers to use later for arithmetics. Is there a way to do that? Right now I can only seem to use the last random number for anything. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop through array who's name is entered in command line?

Say I have a ksh program called test.ksh which has several defined arrays inside it such as array1,array2,array3...These arrays contain strings. I also have a method in the program: for x in $1 do ....(#do something) done So, when the user enteres: ./test.ksh array1, I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)