Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loop assistance, getting array of random numbers and feeding to a command, how-to? Post 302341863 by boolean2222 on Thursday 6th of August 2009 06:38:05 PM
Old 08-06-2009
Computer Loop assistance, getting array of random numbers and feeding to a command, how-to?

Hi all,
I need a little assistance to complete the following script. I would like to take a file with a single number on each line and for each number, run it through a command. The loop will terminate once all numbers have been checked. Here is what I have thus far...

Code:
COUNTER=`wc -l ~/number_list | awk '{print $1}'`
while [ $COUNTER -ne 0 ]; do
$COMMAND $NUMBER
let COUNTER=COUNTER-1
done

How do I store each number, maybe in an array? And then pass each number to the command as $NUMBER?

Thanks!
-b2

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random numbers without repetition

Is anyone know some scripts to generate random number without repetition using bash; for example generate 10 different random numbers. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asal_email
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Numbers - Perl

Hi Guys I have a script to find Ranomd numbers. But I want to make the file to produce more random. Could u guys help me plz. In this Script I have the code that generates random in for loop and the range I have specified in my %chromlength input and out put will be like this chrno start end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

4. Solaris

feeding filenames to find command

Hi, I am having set of files whose names are stored in a file say "filelist.txt" Now, I want to find all files contained in "filelist.txt" from my parent directory. Is there any way to let find command understand "filelist.txt" just like we have option -f in awk. I donot want to run a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
4 Replies

5. Programming

generate array of random numbers

hi guys, I am writing a c program that generates a two dimensional array to make matrix and a vector of random numbers and perform multiplication. I can't figure out whats wrong with my code. It generates a matrix of random numbers but all the numbers in the vector array is same and so is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saboture88
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A way to store 2 random numbers from a for loop?

I have a for loop that cycles twice and generates 1 random number for each pass through. I would like to be able to store the two numbers to use later for arithmetics. Is there a way to do that? Right now I can only seem to use the last random number for anything. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop through array who's name is entered in command line?

Say I have a ksh program called test.ksh which has several defined arrays inside it such as array1,array2,array3...These arrays contain strings. I also have a method in the program: for x in $1 do ....(#do something) done So, when the user enteres: ./test.ksh array1, I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies
Excel::Template::Container::Loop(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		     Excel::Template::Container::Loop(3pm)

NAME
Excel::Template::Container::Loop - Excel::Template::Container::Loop PURPOSE
To provide looping NODE NAME
LOOP INHERITANCE
Excel::Template::Container ATTRIBUTES
o NAME This is the name of the loop. It's used to identify within the parameter set what variables to expose to the children nodes each iteration. CHILDREN
None EFFECTS
None DEPENDENCIES
None USAGE
<loop name="LOOPY"> ... Children here ... </loop> In the above example, the children nodes would have access to the LOOPY array of hashes as parameters. Each iteration through the array would expose a different hash of parameters to the children. These loops work just like HTML::Template's loops. (I promise I'll give more info here!) There is one difference - I prefer using Perl-like scoping, so accessing of variables outside the LOOP scope from within is perfectly acceptable. You can also hide outside variables with inner values, if you desire, just like Perl. AUTHOR
Rob Kinyon (rob.kinyon@gmail.com) SEE ALSO
perl v5.14.2 2012-04-29 Excel::Template::Container::Loop(3pm)