Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do i use sed to replace string with values from a dictionary file Post 302341800 by yoyolandre on Thursday 6th of August 2009 03:25:26 PM
Old 08-06-2009
You guys make me want to cry! Smilie

had to use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, but beyond that, it works wonderfully. THANKS YOU for saving my night.

I'm such a hack!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to replace the a string in the same file using sed?

How do i replace a string using sed into the same file without creating a intermediate file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace blank values for string using sed

Hi everyone, I was wondering how could from a file where each row is separated by tabulations, the row values where are in blank replace them by a string or value. My file has this form: 26/01/09 13:45:00 0 0 26/01/09 14:00:00 1495.601318 0 26/01/09 14:15:00 1495.601318 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace string in file with stdin

Hi Im trying to do the following: grep -H Date: out/* | sed 's/':'/ /' | awk '$4 ~ /^/ {print $1}' | while read VARIABLE; do awk '{print $1,$3,$2}' $VARIABLE | sed (take stdin and replace a string in $VARIABLE) done What this is basically doing is finding all files with Date: in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a string containing @ in a file using sed ?

I have a list of names and email addresses. Sample File - username=poga--poga@yahoo.com new-york,US 512834 username=poga123--poga123@hotmail.com new-jersey,US 0894753 Requirement is to replace the email ids as dummy_username@xyz.com using sed only. Output File -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: poga
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace string with file contents

Hello, I have two files: file1 and file2 file1 has the following info: --- host: "localhost" port: 3000 reporter_type: "zookeeper" zk_hosts: - "localhost:2181" file2 contains an IP address (1.1.1.1) What I want to do is replace localhost with 1.1.1.1, so that the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay Kah
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
env(1)								   User Commands							    env(1)

NAME
env - set environment for command invocation SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/env [-i | -] [name=value]... [utility [arg... ]] /usr/xpg4/bin/env [-i | -] [name=value]... [utility [arg... ]] DESCRIPTION
The env utility obtains the current environment, modifies it according to its arguments, then invokes the utility named by the utility op- erand with the modified environment. Optional arguments are passed to utility. If no utility operand is specified, the resulting environment is written to the standard output, with one name=value pair per line. /usr/bin If env executes commands with arguments, it uses the default shell /usr/bin/sh (see sh(1)). /usr/xpg4/bin If env executes commands with arguments, it uses /usr/xpg4/bin/sh (see ksh(1)). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i | - Ignores the environment that would otherwise be inherited from the current shell. Restricts the environment for utility to that specified by the arguments. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: name=value Arguments of the form name=value modify the execution environment, and are placed into the inherited environment before utility is invoked. utility The name of the utility to be invoked. If utility names any of the special shell built-in utilities, the results are unde- fined. arg A string to pass as an argument for the invoked utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Invoking utilities with new PATH values The following utility: example% env -i PATH=/mybin mygrep xyz myfile invokes the utility mygrep with a new PATH value as the only entry in its environment. In this case, PATH is used to locate mygrep, which then must reside in /mybin. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of env: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. PATH Determine the location of the utility. If PATH is specified as a name=value operand to env, the value given shall be used in the search for utility. EXIT STATUS
If utility is invoked, the exit status of env is the exit status of utility. Otherwise, the env utility returns one of the following exit values: 0 Successful completion. 1-125 An error occurred. 126 utility was found but could not be invoked. 127 utility could not be found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), exec(2), profile(4), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Jan 2002 env(1)