Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple awk script for positional replacement in text? Post 302341640 by JFS on Thursday 6th of August 2009 10:04:42 AM
Old 08-06-2009
Thank you / will this work with long files?

Thanks! I was getting the sense I might need to do a sort of patchwork using SED or PERL (neither of which I have ever used, but between your suggestion and a cheat sheet, it ought to be doable).

However, each of my "lines" is actually a DNA sequence several hundred characters long. (As opposed to the short version used in the example--I should have mentioned that up-front, I suppose.)

Will it work to stick 40 of those long lines in the command? Or can I use the command to do the process to "each line in the file"? Or will having ~550 character lines be a problem, regardless?

I have a sort of offer from the spouse to write something in FORTRAN sooner or later if SED, AWK etc can't handle the task, but I'm hoping I can make this work myself, and from what I can remember, this should be possible.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk/Sed One liner for text replacement

Hi group, I want to replace the occurance of a particular text in a paragraph.I tried with Sed,but Sed only displays the result on the screen.How can i update the changes in the original file??? The solution should be a one liner using awk and sed. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishnu.bhatta
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl as awk replacement in a script.

Hey all, Im trying to write a script on windows, which Im not too familiar with. Im generally a bash scripting guy but am using perl for this case. My question is... I have this exact output: 2 Dir(s) 6,380,429,312 bytes free and I just need to get the number out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple 'sed' script for replacing text

Hi All, So I found a simple sed command to replace text in a file (http://www.labnol.org/internet/design/wordpress-unix-replace-text-multiple-files/1128/): sed -e 's/OLDtext/NEWtext/' -i file(s) Because I'm lazy and don't want to remember this each time I want to do this, I wrote the following... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define Positional Parameter Range Awk

Hello All, I am trying to clean up a poorly looking awk command. I am searching for a way to define a range of positional parameters. I may not be searching for the correct syntax. Example: awk ' /14:3*/ {print $2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13}' app.log Is it possible to shorten... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on how to manipulate a SIMPLE text file (using awk?)

I have a simple txt files that looks something like this (The title is a part of the text file) Student Grades --------------- 1 Tim Purser 89 2 John Wayne 56 3 Jenn Hawkins 95 4 Harry Potter 75 Here are my questions: How would I ONLY print the names of students... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjagod123
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple version control script for text files

HI guys, Could you help me writing a simple version control script for a text files. the format could be ./version_control <file(s)> (I want it to be able to work with more than 1 file at the same time) commands are add and get, add means you add new file(s) to the archive, get means you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3270226
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple script to write new lines in a text file

Hello, I have a comma seperated data sheet with multiple fields of biological data. One column contains the ID name of the sample, where there could be more than one sample separated by a comma. I would like a script that reads this field, and for each sample ID, copies the entire line and writes... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
18 Replies

8. Programming

Resample time series data with replacement any way to do this in awk or just bash script

I have some time series data that I need to resample or downsample at some specific time intervals. The firs column is time in decimal hours. I am tryiong to resample this data every 3 minutse. So I need a data value ever 0.05. Here is the example data and as you can see, there time slot for 0.1500... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text replacement with awk or sed?

Hi guys, I worked for almost a half-day for the replacement of some text automatically with script. But no success. The problem is I have hundred of files, which need to be replaced with some new text. It's a painful work to work manually and it's so easy to do it wrong. For example, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Replacement in a Text File in one operation (sed/awk) ?

Hi all, Saying we have two files: 1. A "Reference File" whose content is "Variable Name": "Variable Value" 2. A "Model File" whose content is a model program in which I want to substitute "VariableName" with their respective value to produce a third file "Program File" which would be a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies
WRAP-AND-SORT(1)					      General Commands Manual						  WRAP-AND-SORT(1)

NAME
wrap-and-sort - wrap long lines and sort items in Debian packaging files SYNOPSIS
wrap-and-sort [options] DESCRIPTION
wrap-and-sort wraps the package lists in Debian control files. By default the lists will only split into multiple lines if the entries are longer than 80 characters. wrap-and-sort sorts the package lists in Debian control files and all .install files. Beside that wrap-and-sort removes trailing spaces in these files. This script should be run in the root of a Debian package tree. It searches for control, control.in, copyright, copyright.in, install, and *.install in the debian directory. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show this help message and exit. -a, --wrap-always Wrap all package lists in the Debian control file even if the entries are shorter than 80 characters and could fit in one line line. -s, --short-indent Only indent wrapped lines by one space (default is in-line with the field name). -b, --sort-binary-packages Sort binary package paragraphs by name. -k, --keep-first When sorting binary package paragraphs, leave the first one at the top. Unqualified debhelper(7) configuration files are applied to the first package. -n, --no-cleanup Do not remove trailing whitespaces. -d path, --debian-directory=path Location of the debian directory (default: ./debian). -f file, --file=file Wrap and sort only the specified file. You can specify this parameter multiple times. All supported files will be processed if no files are specified. -v, --verbose Print all files that are touched. AUTHORS
wrap-and-sort and this manpage have been written by Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org>. Both are released under the ISC license. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WRAP-AND-SORT(1)