Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reading a variable from file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading a variable from file Post 302341484 by shash on Thursday 6th of August 2009 04:39:48 AM
Old 08-06-2009
Apologies, I will keep that in mind.

Coming to the solution. I know that if we remove the $ in front of var1 from file1 it will work, but the problem is that the file will have a $ in front of each variable. Please help how to deal in this case.

Thanks
Shash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file and assigning that to Variable

I am missing something here, I have a file which contains only one line and that is either a number or character string. I am trying to read the file and assign that value to a variable and here it seems I am missing something and not getting the expected results... Here is the code : #!/bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the modified value of variable outside the while loop reading from a file

Hi Friends , Sorry if this is a repeated question , The input file contains 5 lines , so the the values of the variables i and count should b i=5; count=15 but the variables are not updating , the value of variables showing i=0 and count =0 only.:mad: can any1 help me please. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: babusek
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading the whole line from a file into a variable

Hi, I am doing : while read line do printf "%s\n" ${line} done <datafile.txt but I am not getting each single line from the data file assigned to the variable line (but only tokens/fields at a time). I also tried while IFS= read -r lineI want the whole line assigned or read into the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shri_nath
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading variable value from a file

Hello, I need to read a variable value from script. Below is the scenario I am reading a value from an external file say a.txt a.txt: Jan Feb Mar I need the corresponding value of the months in in numerics such as Jan -->1, Feb-->2 etc. I have this mapping in another file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixjadoo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file with while into variable and using in another process

I would appreciate some help, please. I have a file cutshellb.txt, which contains four report names (but it could be any number from 1 to x. The report suffix is not necessarily consecutive: report3785 report3786 report3787 report3788 I have a shell script which attempts to read the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dicloflex
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a variable from parameter file

HI all, I have a parameter file with entries like $$Name =Abhinav $$CUTOFF_DATE = 11/11/2209 I am reading a variable from this file using a awk command like : var2=`awk -F"" "/CUTOFF_DATE/{f=$1;}{print f;}" InputFIleName` but facing an error like awk: cmd. line:1:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file and storing it in a variable

Hi folks, I'm using bash and would like to do the following. I would like to read some values from the file and store it in the variable and use it. My file is 1.txt and its contents are VERSION=5.6 UPDATE=4 I would like to read "5.6" and "4" and store it in a variable in shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptfriend
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a File and Using as an Input variable

I need to know how the the string constant from Input File should be read and provide as input data for the script . INPUT FILE CONST VARIABLE myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname1 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname2 myname=/root/dir/syslog/myname3 urname=/root/dir/syslog/urname1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baraghun
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble reading content of file from a variable

Hi , i have a parameter which has path of a file. Now i need to have another parameter with the content of that file. I tried the belwo script , can any one please help. I dont want to use cat command to read. Can we do it with out using cat command. while read line do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
9 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)