Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sending an event from another bash shell Post 302340955 by peterro on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 06:22:11 PM
Old 08-04-2009
Yup. It's just like reading/writing to any typical flat file. The named pipe just has some useful properties for purposes such as this. See Chapter 14 in Expert Shell Scripting (Apress)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

keypress event in shell script

Hi All, How can I trap a character press in the shell script. For eg:- I have a script runinng a infinite loops , I will need to dispay menu asking for run process of to stop process and process stauts like we do in glance I have seen the traping the signal in glance command, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can we trigger an shell script on an event

Hi, My program A updates a log called logA. I have a shell script S that is responsible to send emails reading from the log. I want to trigger execution of the script whenever there is an update to the log. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv_pan
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending mail via Bash

Hello , I want to send mail via bash script but i want to add from parameter for example i want to send to test@gmail.com and the sender will be test2@gmail.com Thanks for all (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxCommandos
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash unix cron + sending sms

Hi all, i'm trying to send an sms (notification sms) via a bash script executing throw crontab. The script works fine, but the sms itsn't sent to me. can you help me to resolve this issue, plz. Thanks. Yes - we probably COULD help you if you WOULD provide us with your script, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arezki76
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/bin/bash: Event not found.

Hi I'm new to scripting - please help me... I'm trying to run a script written by a friend: #!/bin/bash for aStat in .... do .... done when coping the script to the terminal I get: /bin/bash: Event not found. for: Command not found. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atira
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to execute condition until an event occurs

I need a script to keep polling "receive_dir" directory till "stopfile" get written in the directory. This has to run despite empty directory. So far i have this but fails if receive_dir is empty with no files with "unary operator expected". Help !! #!/usr/bin/ksh until do for i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iaav
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending awk variables into curl in a bash script

Hello experts! I have a file1 with the following format (yr,day, month, hour,minute): 201201132435 201202141210 201304132030 201410100110 ... What i want to do is to assign variables and then use them in the curl command to download the text of each event from a web page. What I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending email to group in bash

In shell scripting, TestEmail is an existing group email. I am using the below command to send emails who are existed under TestEmail . Unable to receive the email. I have tried group ="id1 id2 " .Its working and i tried creating alias as well. Can we do it without creating alias or group ="id1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thomas9192
1 Replies
pipe(2) 							   System Calls 							   pipe(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int fildes[2]); DESCRIPTION
The pipe() function creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe and returns two file descriptors, fildes[0] and fildes[1]. The files associated with fildes[0] and fildes[1] are streams and are both opened for reading and writing. The O_NDELAY, O_NONBLOCK, and FD_CLOEXEC flags are cleared on both file descriptors. The fcntl(2) function can be used to set these flags. A read from fildes[0] accesses the data written to fildes[1] on a first-in-first-out (FIFO) basis and a read from fildes[1] accesses the data written to fildes[0] also on a FIFO basis. Upon successful completion pipe() marks for update the st_atime, st_ctime, and st_mtime fields of the pipe. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pipe() function will fail if: EMFILE More than {OPEN_MAX} file descriptors are already in use by this process. ENFILE The number of simultaneously open files in the system would exceed a system-imposed limit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), fcntl(2), fstat(2), getmsg(2), poll(2), putmsg(2), read(2), write(2), attributes(5), standards(5), streamio(7I) NOTES
Since a pipe is bi-directional, there are two separate flows of data. Therefore, the size (st_size) returned by a call to fstat(2) with argument fildes[0] or fildes[1] is the number of bytes available for reading from fildes[0] or fildes[1] respectively. Previously, the size (st_size) returned by a call to fstat() with argument fildes[1] (the write-end) was the number of bytes available for reading from fildes[0] (the read-end). SunOS 5.11 23 Apr 2002 pipe(2)