Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Capture child processes and change return values question Post 302340953 by tuxhats on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 06:10:10 PM
Old 08-04-2009
Thanks, I need to read up on chroot and it's usage.

Doesn't it require copying lots of files/libs into the chrooted envronment. I'm trying to avoid such a thing, as it makes it more difficult for teachers, new to Linux, to replicate this along with everything else already in place.

Will the command really lock a user down as needed and does it allow gedit or similar as I expressed above?

Upon further searching, maybe fakechroot and fakeroot will work. Let you know when I give it a try.

Last edited by tuxhats; 08-05-2009 at 01:07 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what are parent and child processes all about?

I don't follow what these are... this is what my text says... "When a process is started, a duplicate of that process is created. This new process is called the child and the process that created it is called the parent. The child process then replaces the copy for the code the parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. Programming

Controlling child processes

Hello all, I am trying to create n child processes and control them from a parent process; say make child 3 print its pid and then child 5 do the same and some other stuff. Is there a way to accomplishing this after all the child processes are created via a call to fork(). Thank you, FG (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumGuy
23 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent/Child Processes

Hello. I have a global function name func1() that I am sourcing in from script A. I call the function from script B. Is there a way to find out which script called func1() dynamically so that the func1() can report it in the event there are errors? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
2 Replies

4. Programming

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n", getpid(),... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_dot
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green_dot
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

killing all child processes

Hi, Is there a way I can kill all the child processes of a process, given its process id. Many thanks in advance. J. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser84
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to capture PID for a child script

Hi, I'm looking for a method where we can capture the PID and if possible the progress of child process especially the ones running in background. can anyone help? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman jain
6 Replies

8. Programming

How to capture messages from child process?

Hi all, I'm new in programming, but want to start writing a simple GUI for linux console application,say, wget.(for educational purpose :) ). The question is: how to start child process from C++ code and then start capture messages from its stdout? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vahagn_iv
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture C program return values in Kshell

I have a K shell script (ksh) that needs to return an email address. A C program was written (prog1) to now access the email address off of an oracle table. The call to the program in the ksh is prog1 -p parm1 Based on Parm1 the program will read an oracle table and retrieve the email... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get all child processes of a process

is there a universal way of getting the children of a particular process? i'm looking for a solution that works across different OSes...linux, aix, sunos, hpux. i did a search online and i kept finding answers that were specific to Linux..i.e. pstree. i want to be able to specify a process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
VFORK(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  VFORK(2)

NAME
vfork -- create a new process without copying the address space LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t vfork(void); DESCRIPTION
The vfork() system call can be used to create new processes without fully copying the address space of the old process, which is horrendously inefficient in a paged environment. It is useful when the purpose of fork(2) would have been to create a new system context for an execve(2). The vfork() system call differs from fork(2) in that the child borrows the parent's memory and thread of control until a call to execve(2) or an exit (either by a call to _exit(2) or abnormally). The parent process is suspended while the child is using its resources. The vfork() system call returns 0 in the child's context and (later) the pid of the child in the parent's context. The vfork() system call can normally be used just like fork(2). It does not work, however, to return while running in the child's context from the procedure that called vfork() since the eventual return from vfork() would then return to a no longer existent stack frame. Be careful, also, to call _exit(2) rather than exit(3) if you cannot execve(2), since exit(3) will flush and close standard I/O channels, and thereby mess up the parent processes standard I/O data structures. (Even with fork(2) it is wrong to call exit(3) since buffered data would then be flushed twice.) RETURN VALUES
Same as for fork(2). SEE ALSO
_exit(2), execve(2), fork(2), rfork(2), sigaction(2), wait(2), exit(3) HISTORY
The vfork() system call appeared in 2.9BSD. BUGS
To avoid a possible deadlock situation, processes that are children in the middle of a vfork() are never sent SIGTTOU or SIGTTIN signals; rather, output or ioctl(2) calls are allowed and input attempts result in an end-of-file indication. BSD
November 13, 2009 BSD